Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Creative Sewing > Decorative stitches on knits ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Decorative stitches on knits
Any tips for success?
stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 11/25/13 0:01 AM

I've read (and, evidently, participated in ) several of the deco stitches threads over the years, but a quick search didn't turn up a specific post on using the decorative stitches on knits. Inspired by some suggestions in my *other* knitwear question today , as well as this blog post, I decided to try out some of my machine's stitches.

What are the best tips to keep the fabric from stretching? I already have my presser foot pressure dialed down pretty low, and I pulled out some typing paper for an emergency stabilizer... but what is the proper way to go about this?

Any other great ideas or things I Must Know?

Thanks, knit gurus!!

------
~Gem in the prairie

camaro1952
camaro1952
Member since 7/20/07

Date: 11/25/13 5:32 AM

I think you use a "waste canvas" that's the name, its under the embroidery and when done you get it damp and the excess cimes off.
it adds the stability to the abric that you need.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09

Date: 11/25/13 9:27 AM

I would just use some some stuff made for more computerized hoop embroidery instead, even though I was sewing motif stitches with my feed dogs up instead. Just since that is what I have laying around anyways. So, maybe depending on what kind of stitches (hopefully kind of wide open ones) if I had some made for hoop embroidery sticky paper that would be tear away stabilizer with sticky stuff on the top of it, with a paper release sheet over it, I would just cut that into some strips instead and stick my knit down onto the top of it. If I thought my top thread might be sinking into the knit of it, I might put some clear wash a way kind of stabilizer over it. As that might help.

Sticky on top of something is good for knits, just since it would stick down all those ribs and pearls of the knit and keep them from trying to move around, while you sew on top of them. Sort of depending on your knit though and your motif stitch, and the garment, it might not be enough to just keep everything in place while sewing it, or even way afterwards and you really might need something under there, that really stayed under there more for forever, and stronger, to keep things from getting all stretched out in even wearing later or the wash. In that case, maybe iron on interfacing or even much stronger stays there forever kind of cut a way embroidery stabilizer with spray on embroidery glue on top of it, might still stick all the little knit ribs and purls of some knit fabric down when sending the whole thing though over your feed dogs.

I have had pretty good luck just using even tear away later, made for embroidery sticky paper in strips for some pretty wide open and no small stitches in them, kind of built into a machine serpentine stitches or very open flower motifs feed dogs up on cotton knit, but most times when I do that, I use something thick like pearl rayon in the bobbin case loosened up a bit, and sew on the opposite side of the fabric. That looks almost hand embroidered sometimes, and has a bit more give to it, and does not always need any "leave in forever" kind of stabilizer under it, if more just around T shirt sleeve wrists or necklines and such.

Over actual knit stretch terry cloth though, would be a hard going, as thread would sink in and not show up all that great, in all those terry loopies of it. Unless it had a topper on it when doing it, and was really pretty thick thread.

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MT USA
Member since 1/18/12

Date: 11/25/13 9:54 AM

I would love to find a similar pattern to that vintage Simplicity 6989.
I like tops like this despite not being PG. I have a round shape and the A-line style camouflages my midriff somewhat.
Is there a pattern like this out there somewhere???
I thought I'd make it out of sweatshirt fleece. Goodness knows the style is simple enough!

Forgive me for highjacking the thread.

-- Edited on 11/25/13 9:55 AM --

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE
Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000
Bernina B530
Janome 6600P
Pfaff 1209
Babylock Evolution
Janome 644D

simplystitches
simplystitches
NY USA
Member since 2/12/06

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 11/25/13 1:20 PM

How about this Kwik Sew? Pretty much identical. I made it years ago and it does run a bit big.

Debbie

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MT USA
Member since 1/18/12

Date: 11/25/13 2:40 PM

Thank you for the Kwik Sew pattern, it looks like a contender.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE
Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000
Bernina B530
Janome 6600P
Pfaff 1209
Babylock Evolution
Janome 644D

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 12/2/08

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 11/26/13 0:21 AM

For deco stitches on knits, I've had good luck using Stitch Witchery. Although, I used it between the fashion fabric and the facing. If it's just one layer I would suggest a stabilizer such as that used for embroidery. Still, if it's tear-away or wash-away, I might be concerned it wouldn't hold up in laundering?

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

emmasgranny
emmasgranny
Member since 2/7/13

In reply to stirwatersblue <<

Date: 11/26/13 1:01 AM

I think the color and type of knit would make a difference as .far as an embroidery design showing up well. Stabilizer above and below may work. There is a clear " Solvy" wash away that I usually place on top w/knits that helps as far as design appearance after. A light tear away underneath maybe too. Would love to see your finished project.

clt3
clt3
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 2/6/06

Date: 11/26/13 6:35 AM

I've used strips of this: Sulky Sticky Fabri-Solvy to stabilize the cross grain of minkee, which stretches horribly. It worked perfectly and is available at Joann's.

------
Singer 66-16. Singer 600e, Kenmore 158.1913 , Viking 1100, Brother 4000D, Brother Quattro, Bernina 930, White 634DE,
Babylock Evolve, 2 Featherweights ,Pfaff Creative Performance,Janome Coverpro 1000CPX

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
MS USA
Member since 3/4/03

Date: 11/26/13 6:55 AM

Enjoyed the link to the blog post and then the link at the blog. I really like the idea of using these stitches as trim. When I was into the decorative stitches way back on my pfaff I was using wovens and tear a way stabilizer. I think if doing these stitches on knit I would do them in the hem areas and reinforce those with a fusible inside plus using either solvy or tear away stabilizer or both if a really stretch knit. I think you'd really need to use a brittle tear away or solvy on seams to remove easily without distorting. Don't forget to use embroidery thread in the top and a bobbin weight thread or an embroidery thread in the bobbin for the prettiest results. If using household stuff for stabilizer I'd probably use a tissue paper or wax paper like a deli sheet that would tear away more easily than typing paper so you don't distort the stitches removing the paper.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Decorative stitches on knits

Merchants on PR
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Put it on the Bias
Fee: $49.00
(Regular $49.00)
Put it on the Bias

Online Sewing Classes
Bust Adjustments
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Bust Adjustments

Burda 7633 SUIT
photo
Review by Pinkytoo on 9/1/11
Read Review

New Look 6599 Pattern
New Look 6599 Pattern

Details
Price: $4.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Jalie 2572 Pattern
Jalie 2572 Pattern

Details
Price: $12.75
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 6196
photo
Review by goddessof on 10/23/09
Read Review

Peek-A Boo Sea Breeze Dress Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -6 years )
Peek-A Boo Sea Breeze Dress Digital Pattern ( Size 3 mo -6 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sis Boom Carly Bubble Romper Digital Pattern
Sis Boom Carly Bubble Romper Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

SewBaby Alphabet Take-Along book Pattern
SewBaby Alphabet Take-Along book Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

SewBaby Mitten Wraps and One Piece Hat Pattern
SewBaby Mitten Wraps and One Piece Hat Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN