SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Has anyone made up a Sew Chic pattern? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Has anyone made up a Sew Chic pattern?
RynV

RynV
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/1/08
Send Message

Date: 11/29/13 6:18 PM

I've come across several Sew Chic patterns on this website and elsewhere so googled their site. I love their vintage inspired designs and want to make up several of their patterns-the Constance, Pendleton, Beatrice and Fifth Avenue for starters. I was wondering if anyone had used their patterns and how they found them. Indie patterns can be wonderful and refreshing, but they can also be off kilter in their drafting.

Velosewer has reviewed a couple of patterns here very favourably, but I can't find any other reviews. If anyone has used Sew Chic, how did you find the fit? Were many adjustments necessary? I have trouble with Big 4 patterns because they draft for a totally different body shape from mine and I usually need to make a a lot of adjustments. The only pattern company I've used recently that fit nicely from the start was Marfy, but I don't like their lack of instructions.

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 11/29/13 6:23 PM

I've made the crinoline, but that's quite different than a normal dress pattern. The instruction booklet is clear. The pattern comes printed on tissue paper.
-- Edited on 11/29/13 6:27 PM --

-- Edited on 11/30/13 1:00 AM --

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 11/29/13 8:31 PM

Laura Nash has a craftsy class focusing on the Tia dress. As the class is $20 this weekend (sale), it may be worth your while. I have not taken the class.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

ScaryMerry
star
ScaryMerry
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 9/12/12
Send Message

Date: 11/29/13 9:47 PM

I'm currently taking the Craftsy class. I like that the class includes how to do an FBA and a SBA on the pattern. I plan on sewing up most of the dress this weekend, so I suppose I'll report back with my verdict.

RynV

RynV
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/1/08
Send Message

In reply to andye <<

Date: 11/29/13 10:02 PM

thanks Andye. I love that dress but it might make me look a bit bouffy. I used to be very petite but am now a menopausal expanded hourglass shape. But it's such a stunning dress and the class is very cheap at the moment. Very tempting.

RynV

RynV
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/1/08
Send Message

In reply to ScaryMerry <<

Date: 11/29/13 10:03 PM

thanks ScaryMerry, keep me posted. I might sign up for it given it's on special this weekend.

Bamma
Bamma
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 3/25/10
Send Message

Date: 11/29/13 10:35 PM

I made the Tia dress for my daughter but she hasn't had a chance to wear it again to take pictures for a review, but she loves her dress!

The pattern drafting is some of the best I have encountered and the instructions are well done. If you do have a question, Laura is very good at returning e-mails as her schedule permits.

I would note that you do need to be very careful about transferring pattern markings. The patterns will go together beautifully if you take the time to do this. The patterns runs true to measurement, so double check before tracing the pattern. Her sizing is not the same as the Big 4.

You could e-mail Laura and find out if the Craftsy class would be useful if you are making one of her other designs. I completed my daughter's dress before the class was offered.

I hope she returns to the Puyallup Sew Expo so I can buy more patterns! My daughter has already given me her wish list.

------
Land of the free because of the brave.
There's no time like "sew" time.

RynV

RynV
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Bamma <<

Date: 11/29/13 11:28 PM

thanks Bamma, your endorsement has convinced me to go ahead and order the Constance pattern, which I think will be the best for my current figure. Up until a couple of years ago I was a size 6, I'm now a 12 and need a wow dress that is flattering and doesn't make me feel like I've swallowed a small animal. I think I'll make it in wool crepe, which drapes nicely. That design is very elegant and somewhat unusual.

ScaryMerry
star
ScaryMerry
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 9/12/12
Send Message

In reply to RynV <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 11/29/13 11:49 PM

As someone who is currently a size 12 and feels pretty fabulous, don't be so negative. It's really not so bad. I think the Tia dress will look great on me when I finally finish it.

RynV

RynV
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 9/1/08
Send Message

In reply to ScaryMerry <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 11/30/13 0:06 AM

ScaryMerry, you have the right attitude and I wish I felt fabulous. I know it's not that bad and doesn't reflect on who I am in any way. I've had a very stressful couple of years and put on weight. Big deal. In the meantime, I intend to sew up some flattering dresses so that I can look good no matter what my size.

I'd love to see the Tia dress reviewed when you finish sewing it. It's a stunning dress. All the Sew Chic dresses are stunning.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Has anyone made up a Sew Chic pattern?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Self Drafted Pattern 70883-1009

photo
by: jannw

Review
Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

More Info
Veronica Pocketbook

Veronica Pocketbook

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.