SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > where to buy double needles in bulk ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
where to buy double needles in bulk
double needles in bulk
JUNIPERJUNE
JUNIPERJUNE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Quebec CANADA
Member since 7/20/12
Send Message

Date: 12/1/13 10:11 PM

My husband and I are sewing pur winter ski jackets. We're going through needles like we never have before. we bought Bluetip needles in bulk and we should be getting them soon. 1 item that my husband keeps breaking which is very expensive are the double needles. does anyone know a source where we can buy double needles for cheap in bulk. we use denim double-needle and stretch double-needle. I would need a place that ships to Canada. Thanks
-- Edited on 12/1/13 10:47 PM --

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to JUNIPERJUNE <<

Date: 12/3/13 5:24 AM

Are you talking about twin needles for top-stitching...or double eye needles?

Wondering why your DH keeps breaking them...sewing over too thick seams...or forgetting to change out of zig zag to straight stitch...or another reason? Maybe need to correct the reason the needles are breaking as well as buy in bulk.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/3/13 6:16 AM

I am guessing you are using twin needles to top stitch all the jacket seams. I don't have a bulk supplier solution but something tells me there has to be a reason behind only the twin needles breaking.

Top stitching two parallel rows with a single top stitch needle of the correct size is not that much more time intensive. It will be less needle expensive and may be safer for you and your machine in the long run.

Most machines are designed to handle a perfect single needle stitch on 2 layers. We can stress it by increasing layers, changing fabric bulk, using thicker threads, using twin needles, using ribbon in bobbin, sewing at a super fast pace- any number of variations.

But machines reach a point where adding too many variables will result in a problem. Perhaps you have reached the variables limit for your machine.

If you can sew with a twin needle on 2 layers of fabric and not have it break, then I am guessing it is not the machine, your technique or the needle. Its just too many variables in your coat project.

Needle breakage on the scale you describe is a symptom. In some cases needle breakage will damage machines- throw off timing or pieces get wedged inside or they can cause injury.

I hope you are able to resolve the breakage and avoid a more serious problem.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

JUNIPERJUNE
Intermediate
Quebec CANADA
Member since 7/20/12
Send Message

Date: 12/3/13 7:53 AM

The problem is we are sewing a winter ski jacket with VERY thick layers, many layers around zippers and multiple seams layered on top of each other.
This is his first jacket, his first pockets, first many things. So it is a bit new to him, and he's trying his best. Thanks for the tip about the timing. I will let him know. We would not want to mess up our very expensive machine!
-- Edited on 12/3/13 7:54 AM --

AnneM
starstar
AnneM  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

Date: 12/3/13 8:02 AM

I don't have a source for you either; hopefully someone will since I'd love to know it also.

As to why he might be breaking the needles, perhaps he is pulling the fabric to keep it taught and move it along. This will tend to lead to broken needles (and men on average are stronger than women, making it that much more likely).

Until he gets a bit more practice, the suggestion above of doing the 2 rows with a single needle might make him more comfortable.

------
With a great wardrobe that's still in the flat-fabric stage.

Bonnie O
starstar
Bonnie O  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 4/28/07
Contest Committee
PR Weekend Coordinator
Send Message

Date: 12/3/13 8:46 AM

Wawak sells twin needles for $2.69 each if you buy 10 or more.

------
Bonnie
http://tresbonbabble.blogspot.com/

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/3/13 9:04 AM

With twin needles never use the cutter on the machine. Are you using a heavy top stitching thread in the needle and the bobbin? Is he using the foot control and slower speed or start/stop button. Look at the needles to see if both are getting broken or just on 1 side. I've seen twin needles break when students try to turn at the corners of their projects.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

JUNIPERJUNE
Intermediate
Quebec CANADA
Member since 7/20/12
Send Message

In reply to sew2006 <<

Date: 12/3/13 11:29 AM

Quote: sew2006
With twin needles never use the cutter on the machine. Are you using a heavy top stitching thread in the needle and the bobbin? Is he using the foot control and slower speed or start/stop button. Look at the needles to see if both are getting broken or just on 1 side. I've seen twin needles break when students try to turn at the corners of their projects.

We are using normal thread. He tends to pull his fabric, a habit he is slowly breaking. I told him to use the dial when he is going over the MANY layers to put less stress.
I will look at the broken needles, we keep them in a jar labelled "BAD" with a lid. I am not sure if both break. Many times he broke them due to the zippers. His jacket has 5 pockets on it, a zipper in the front and another zipper for the hood.
JUNIPERJUNE
Intermediate
Quebec CANADA
Member since 7/20/12
Send Message

In reply to Bonnie O <<

Date: 12/3/13 11:29 AM

Quote: Bonnie O
Wawak sells twin needles for $2.69 each if you buy 10 or more.

Thanks, I will check out WAWAK, that sure beats $6 a pop!
PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 12/3/13 12:09 PM

The needles are breaking due to heat build-up and not your husbands fault (I know you did not mean it that way ).

Look for Titanium or Teflon coated needles. I could not find a double needle, but the singles last about 5 times longer than a regular needle because they stay cooler.

I prefer this brand And they ship international.

-- Edited on 12/3/13 12:14 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> where to buy double needles in bulk

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

brerrabbit.com Dove Fitted T

photo
by: ZoSews

Review
Petite Plus 201 Pattern

Petite Plus 201 Pattern

More Info
Beginner Sewing Lab 101 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 101  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

More Info
Simplicity 3215

photo
by: wingamajig

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.