SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Left handed Scissors ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Left handed Scissors
Looking for quality left handed fabric scissors
D Hart
D Hart  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/10/13
Send Message

Date: 12/2/13 10:19 PM

I'm looking for high quality applique (aka duckbill) scissors and 8" serrated dressmakers shears made for left-handed users. Can anyone help with this? Thanks in advance!

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

Date: 12/2/13 11:47 PM

I am left handed and I use Gingher's right handed versions. The applique I own, but don't use, but the serrated edged ones are like the lefty shears, except the nut is on the wrong side so it doesn't lay flat. I don't know if they make these.

I don't notice a difference from my right handed scissors and the left ones until I lay them down, then they move instead of go flat.

Not much help, sorry.

UrbanFool
UrbanFool  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/19/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/2/13 11:51 PM

I think that hands down, Kai scissors are the best out there.

------
Kelly

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 12/2/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/3/13 0:43 AM

I hope you find what you need. My son is left-handed and used to complain about scissors when he was a child. I pretty much told him to get over it and learn how to use "regular" scissors. But last year when I had right shoulder surgery and was in a sling for 6 weeks, with another couple of months of PT, I found I could not for the life of me even cut a piece of paper with my left hand! Of course I apologized to my now adult son. Good luck to you! :-)

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

Date: 12/3/13 1:07 AM

I haven't had much luck finding left handed serrated shears, and I don't do appliqué. I think I saw that Nancy's Notions had some left handed duckbills, but as I said, I don't do appliqué so I don't know if they are good or not.

My fav left handed scissors are my left handed Ginghers. I don't like the left handed Kais as much because the big moulded grips give me blisters.

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

Date: 12/3/13 3:13 AM

Scissors are subjective, left handed or not.

I can't stand Kai scissors. I don't like them, and even their left handed ones are hard for me to operate. Mundials right bother me, their left are okay. Even simple paper scissors depends on the brand if I use left or it doesn't matter.

My mom never told me to get over it, so I always had them as a kid, but she's right handed so I coped with her fabric scissors. I stick with Ghingers because they aren't true left or right, it's all in the nut placement as far as it feels to cut and using them. And I can cope with them bobbling around the table when I set them down.

Some lefties it makes a huge difference, some of us it doesn't. I think some depends on brand, level of tolerance for a right handed world and just personal experience/preference.

I own left handed shears (several pairs as a matter of fact) but I own far more right handed ones.

Thread snips are my bane of existence. I own Gingher's version and UGH. They suuuuck. (Purely as a left handed comment.)

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 12/3/13 5:11 AM

I got Fiskers and Gingher for my lefty daughter. The Fiskers is useful for cutting interfacings, stabilizers, fleeces, polys- anything you want ti protect the higher end Gingher from cutting.

I got my appliqué (right handed) from
Nancys and they cut like butter. If the leftys are the same company, you should be set.

I tried Kais after many rave PR reviews- the handles fit comfortably but they aren't weighted correctly to my taste and cutting is awkward for some reason.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Andsewforth
Andsewforth  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 11/6/06
Send Message

Date: 12/3/13 9:02 AM

I'm left handed & I think the Kai scissors that say 'true left hand' are fabulous. I think Kai scissors are fabulous period. They don't have a left handed duck bill. Havel scissors does have a left handed duck bill. I have a pair & they aren't as sharp as Kai or Gingher but they aren't bad. http://www.havelssewing.com/

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

In reply to Andsewforth <<

Date: 12/3/13 1:01 PM

Quote: Andsewforth
I'm left handed & I think the Kai scissors that say 'true left hand' are fabulous. I think Kai scissors are fabulous period. They don't have a left handed duck bill.

I do think you should first figure out whether or not you need the 'true' left handed scissors or not.

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

heathergwo
heathergwo
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 12/3/13 5:53 PM

I'm not a lefty, but LOVE Kai scissors, so there's another vote to try them out! Good luck!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Left handed Scissors

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Class Details

Online Class
The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Class Details

My Image Magazine M1152

photo
by: westmoon

Review
Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

Lolita Patterns Sugar Plum Pattern

More Info
Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

More Info
Simplicity 1941

photo
by: ChromoK

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.