SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > how long can you expect a sewing machine to last? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
how long can you expect a sewing machine to last?
oneredcherry
oneredcherry
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/3/13
Send Message

Date: 12/5/13 8:11 PM

I know its going to be different for every machine. I have a janome 5027LE, which was great, and i love it still, but it seams to be struggling. not just with the thicker fabrics either. Even when Im quilting, and i come to a 2-seam intersection, i have to pull the fabric through my machine because it just cant get over it.
So how long do they last? I have had mine for 6 years, with quite a lot of sewing.
thanks

KiwiWendy
starstarstar
KiwiWendy
Advanced
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to oneredcherry <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/5/13 8:36 PM

I've had my Janome 5124 excel pro for almost 14 years and it's still fantastic. When did you last get your's serviced? (not that I've done that myself for far too long).

------
Sydney, Australia

ilesliemy
ilesliemy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 2/25/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/5/13 8:49 PM

Maybe it just needs a tune up. I have 2 older Bernina's, both mechanical ones and one is 17 and one is 19 so they can last! My older one I am the original owner of and I sew almost daily.
Leslie

------
Bernina Gal

Vireya
Vireya
Intermediate
Australia
Member since 12/10/05
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/5/13 9:03 PM

Probably depends when a machine was made. Those made in the "olden days" when things were made to last will probably still be going strong when today's machines have bitten the dust.

I've been sewing on my Elna Lotus for just over 30 years, and I was its second owner. Singers built in the 1950s still sew very well.

Lots of people are still sewing on vintage mechanical machines, but computerised ones will be irreparable if the electronics fail once they are more than a few years old. The manufacturers don't keep making the electronic parts.

oneredcherry
oneredcherry
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/3/13
Send Message

Date: 12/5/13 9:24 PM

I had it serviced this year, not too long ago, and the man said he doesnt expect to see it for another 3-5 years.
To be honest, it was probably always like that, but as Im getting to be a better quilter/sewer, im noticing that my machine cant keep up?
i purchased it new, for 500.

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 10/5/08
Send Message

Date: 12/5/13 9:45 PM

Well my machines are all 50-60 years old and still sew like champs - as good as they day they rolled off the assembly line. Minimal servicing too - the Singer 15-91 that my Mom bought in 1954 has never been in the shop for a repair. I imagine this machine will still be sewing for my granddaughters.

So how long you can expect a sewing machine to last can be anywhere from 1 year to 100 years (and yes, there are 100 year old treadle machines that are still in use!)

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

Date: 12/5/13 10:23 PM

I had a Janome MC3000 ($500 new) which I bought in 2003 and traded in/up last year for a Janome-made Elna 740. The MC3000 ran beautifully for 8 out of 9 years. The last year it was dying a slow death even with a good tuneup. Figured I stitched that thing to death because of the incredible amount of work I did on it.

The 1967 Kenmore Model 30 I inherited from my aunt, however, still performs beautifully. It had a tuneup over the summer and can probably take 50-100 years more of use and abuse.
-- Edited on 12/5/13 10:25 PM --

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

In reply to oneredcherry <<

Date: 12/5/13 10:39 PM

Maybe just the feeddogs are worn. This is an easy fix for a technician.
As to how long a mchine will last, I have a basic New Home mechanical machine that has been used to sew really tough things and it is about 15 years old and going strong. Paid $149.00 for it. Also have a Bernina 1230, computerized, that I bought in 1992 and it still sews well and does beautiful buttonholes. I paid $1200 for it when they were about to discontinue it.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

In reply to ryan's mom <<

Date: 12/6/13 2:06 AM

Quote: ryan's mom
I had a Janome MC3000 ($500 new) which I bought in 2003 and traded in/up last year for a Janome-made Elna 740. The MC3000 ran beautifully for 8 out of 9 years. The last year it was dying a slow death even with a good tuneup. Figured I stitched that thing to death because of the incredible amount of work I did on it.

The 1967 Kenmore Model 30 I inherited from my aunt, however, still performs beautifully. It had a tuneup over the summer and can probably take 50-100 years more of use and abuse.
-- Edited on 12/5/13 10:25 PM --

Hey....

I haven't seen you for a while....

How you liking your Elna?

------
My pattern video is on www.BionicGearBag.com
The drama is on: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger
Bernina 880 - Just cuz.
Bernina Tula Pink 350SE

Love my:
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Bernina 550qe
ElnaPress

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 12/6/13 6:25 AM

Current ones are probably just like major appliances, clothing, tools-- not as long a life as the Golden Oldies made in USA. My 70's mechanical from Japan is still going strong. Our old Maytag washer was only sold to our moving man because it was that popular Gold (! ) color, repairman said bottoms would rust out before the motors went.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> how long can you expect a sewing machine to last?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

McCall's 6519

photo
by: volvogirl

Review
PerfectFuse Light Black

PerfectFuse Light Black

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Beach Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Beach Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.