SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > NIB Elna Lotus on eBay--Big mistake? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
NIB Elna Lotus on eBay--Big mistake?
knit techie
knit techie
Advanced
Member since 8/7/09
Send Message

Date: 12/7/13 11:59 AM

Last night on impulse I placed a bid on a NIB Elna Lotus (the new version). Now I'm wondering if this was a big mistake. It's being sold by an odd Canadian company that sells miscellaneous stuff and this is the only sewing machine it has for sale. They've sold over 2000 items on eBay with 100% satisfaction rating. But why would a company have one new-in-box sewing machine? Is it OK with Elna to sell a new Lotus over the internet? Could it be stolen, defective, etc.? What about warranty?

I really wanted an original Lotus when it first came out but I was young and couldn't afford it. I've been looking for a good machine for classes and travel, and I placed the bid without thinking it through. Now I'm obsessing about what can go wrong . . .

------
All things are difficult until they are easy.
--Fortune Cookie

Addierecoy
Addierecoy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 5/30/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/7/13 12:08 PM

Chances are if they have sold 1000s of items, with 100% positive feedback, everything will be OK. Or if there are any problems with the machine, they will most likely give you an easy refund. It is super hard to maintain 100% positive feedback with 1000's of sales.

Ebay sellers can end up with all kinds of strange stuff. It might have been in a storage unit, it might be something someone they knew bought and never used, hard to tell.

I wouldn't panic. But if it is really getting to you, retract your bid. I recommend contacting the seller first, that way it will record as mutually agreed upon, and not reflect badly on either of you.

-- Edited on 12/7/13 12:14 PM --

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to knit techie <<

Date: 12/7/13 12:11 PM

Don't stress about it .. that ship has sailed and you are now a proud owner of a new machine.. I have no idea really what the machine is worth or what you paid.. Some ebay sellers will take returns up to 14 days.. Consider this a lessoned learned to do your research before bidding.
I hate to add this.. but I seriously doubt this new version is anything like the old vintage one. but nevertheless Elna has a good reputation.. I think your machine might serve you well as a travel/class machine..
I have no idea why they had that item up for sale. But I would bet their are papers in the box to file for your warranty..

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 12/7/13 2:08 PM

I wouldn't stress.

It's not like you're buying it for $100 at midnight in a dark alley.

They're great little machines, IMO. I made a few rather complicated projects on the one I bought for my granddaughter last year before turning it over to her.

I honestly thought about buying a second one for myself.

If you get that thing for anything under $700, it's a good deal, IMO. I paid $900 last year.

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

Date: 12/7/13 2:41 PM

Is this an ebay "auction" and you made one bid...or a buy it now on ebay? If a bid...then if there is another bid over yours...then you are off the hook, right?

UrbanFool
UrbanFool  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/19/06
Send Message

Date: 12/7/13 3:41 PM

A lot of these people probably get their "wares" at storage auctions and the like. That really is amazing to have that good of feedback for that many sales. It seems like it takes just nothing to have an ill tempered buyer who can't be pleased no matter what you do.

------
Kelly

knit techie
knit techie
Advanced
Member since 8/7/09
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/7/13 4:09 PM

RipStitcher, I had read your review of this machine and it influenced my decision to bid. It's just so cute, and has the features I wanted in a back-up/portable machine. And it's just so beautifully designed! And cute! Thanks for the reassurance. My max bid is under $700, so I'll feel good about the price.

------
--Fortune Cookie

knit techie
knit techie
Advanced
Member since 8/7/09
Send Message

In reply to bestgrammy <<

Date: 12/7/13 4:11 PM

BestGrammy, I"m the only bidder so far, and my maximum bid hasan't been reached yet. So I am still on the hook. But I'm feeling better about it now, and actually hope I win!

------
--Fortune Cookie

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 12/7/13 8:53 PM

Quote: knit techie
RipStitcher, I had read your review of this machine and it influenced my decision to bid. It's just so cute, and has the features I wanted in a back-up/portable machine. And it's just so beautifully designed! And cute! Thanks for the reassurance. My max bid is under $700, so I'll feel good about the price.

Awwww.... that's nice!!!

I should go see what I wrote!

I just remember it doing a better job on a handbag I was making in a class than the Viking Diamond that I used in the class - the stitches were much better quality on the Lotus. And.... I was a total newb to both machines.

------

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 12/7/13 9:02 PM

I just went back and found that review... it was OK, I guess... But I knew I wrote about doing that handbag.... So here is a copy of the post I wrote...

*_*_*_*_*

Date: 10/23/12 4:42 PM

The New Lotus is very smooth.

I'm not into being concerned about how many amps the motor is... but others here seem to have more knowledge on that. But that being said, the motor amps on the cute New Lotus is about the same as my wide @ss Horizon 7700.

Maybe they have different trannies. LOL OK, kidding aside, these new machines aren't like the oldies... there is no slippage... they will pierce through anything I have thrown at them.

There isn't much decorative about the New Lotus - but it does have a blanket stitch that I've used on a bag... maybe you'd want more of those? Just something to consider.

And speaking of bags... I have made a couple with the assistance of using a walking foot on the NL... and it did just fine. The stuff I was chomping through was heavier and denser than what you've mentioned.

Personally, I like the feed dog layout of the Janomes & Elnas... if you look closely, there are two little tiny one-pronged feed dogs just in front of the needle. I think those two make a big difference when it comes to feeding wonky or tricky slippery fabrics to the needle.

One weird thing about the NL is how it's got a little more space on the arm of the machine to the left of the needle than some other small free arm machines. Some people seem to get whacked out about that. In reality, it gives you more room for your left hand to stabilize or manipulate your project for more control.

I took a class last summer and got to use an $8,000 Viking Diamond Deluxe... I used it for one side of a bag then came home and did the other side on the NL. (and this was my first shot at that little machine - I hadn't used it before) ... did that blanket stitching on it. It doesn't sound like a big deal... but...

The work from the NL had a much better stitch quality right out of the box (and me not knowing either of the machines) than what came out of the DDD even with two shop gurus looking over my shoulder and tweaking the stitches on that machine. Tensions, angles, etc.. were better on the NL.

It's portable, cute (fun to work on) and it stitches beautifully. As far as power goes... it won't have a problem with the kind of stuff you're talking about - if you use the right needles - and you probably will want to get a walking foot for it.

My 7 year old granddaughter can sit down and work with crazy fabrics (she's learning the hard way at my house... she's doing stuff that just isn't gonna be easy! lol) ... anyway... the machine is bullet proof. The only thing my granddaughter did do to totally jam up the machine was to attempt to make a skirt for a Polly Pocket doll out of a 1" piece of lace. The machine swallowed it because it wasn't big enough to hold and support. (Then I showed the gd how to do it with a piece of stabilizer... lol.... she actually made a 1" skirt.)

Anyway... my gd can even take the needle plate off and get unstuck on her own now... but it hasn't happened in a long time. lol

One last thing... doing the kind of things you're doing (and I like doing some of the same) ... one deal breaker for me is whether or not the needle can be positioned in different places to the right or left of center - so that I can get my stitches lined up perfectly for topstitching, zippers, piping, or other decorative things. The NL will do that. (The first machine I got for my granddaughter didn't!)

------

*_*_*_*

Hope that helps, too.

------

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> NIB Elna Lotus on eBay--Big mistake?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Kwik Sew 2952

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Pareau Style Wrap Dress

Victoria Jones Collection Misses' Pareau Style Wrap Dress

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Adult Hats Pattern

You Sew Girl Adult Hats Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.