SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Babylock Ellisimo or wait for ... ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Babylock Ellisimo or wait for ...
Buying a used machine
Carriekaye
Carriekaye  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 11/20/04
Send Message

Date: 12/10/13 3:11 AM

Help me decide what to do...

I've found a used Babylock Ellisimo that I am interested in purchasing. The gal's husband bought it for her 3 years ago and she's embroidered a queen size quilt top, but no sewing. She's had it cleaned & serviced 2x since he paid for the maintenance. She's asking $3500. Is this a good deal or do you think I ought to save more money and buy a newer machine like the Ellisimo Gold or the Brother version?

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

aka4512
aka4512  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/2/12
Send Message

In reply to Carriekaye <<

Date: 12/10/13 3:36 AM

I believe $3500 for the ellisimo is a great deal. Maybe try sewing on it the will allow you to get a feel of the machine. The newer models are pretty much the same with a few more features added to it.

------
Janome 300E
Bernina 1120
Bernina 1130s
Bernina 750QE
Bernina 1150MDA
From Sydney

biddy 1
biddy 1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/13
Send Message

Date: 12/10/13 6:16 AM

Yes, that is a good price. Does it have any of the up grades?

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 12/10/13 11:48 AM

If it were me...

I'd find out how much the upgrades cost... and find out the details of what is included in each upgrade.

I have the EG.... now there is an EG2... with some sort of laser gizmo on it (that I doubt would interest me if I saw it) ...

Keep in mind an EG can probably be purchased for about $6,000 right now (maybe $6,500 - maybe less) now that the new machines are out.

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

AngieRose

AngieRose  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 6/1/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/10/13 12:02 PM

I read your message, and then re-read it. It sounds like you are a bit hesitant because you really-truly want a "newer" model of the Ellisimo, or the Brother version.

As for the used Ellisimo. That is a very good price, and you could probably get it for just a smudge less, which would be an even better deal.

I have a 2008 Ellisimo, and love it. I do have upgrade 1. The only upgrade that is worthwhile for me to have and the one I knew I would use.

However, if you want to save your money for the whole real deal, the newer Ellisimo---and it's going to nag you that you settled for the "used" model, then don't do it. Wait and save for what you "really want".

------
AngieRose, who love sewing, machine embroidery and quilting. 2008 Babylock Ellisimo, 2013 Brother DreamWeaver VQ3000, Bernina 1090, Singer Featherweight & 2009 Prodigy Quilter
http://timberhillthreads.blogspot.com

Carriekaye
Carriekaye  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 11/20/04
Send Message

Date: 12/10/13 5:24 PM

Good input everyone! The most I've ever spent on a machine was $2,000, and so to pay $3,500 for an older model is scary. But it may be the way to go because I cannot afford more than that at this point and we don't do payments.

She said she didn't buy any upgrades. Maybe I ought to call my local dealer and ask some questions about the cost of those. They allow free basic classes no matter where you buy the machine if I needed help down the road.

Too bad we can't demo a machine for a week or two to really know if it's the right one. :-)

Do any of you know which Brother machine is the equal to the Ellisimo? I wondered if there are also 3 levels of those Quattro machines but know little about those.

Thank you!
Carriekaye

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/10/13 5:34 PM

The Quattro is the Brother equivalent, yes. I would prefer the Ellisimo of the two. The two will have different embroidery designs and some different deco stitches.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 12/11/13 3:18 AM

I have a 2010 Ellisimo with Upgrade I which is equal to being an Ellisimo Gold. It has less than 200,000 stitch count. I have it listed through my Dealer for $5200 but have no offers yet- that price includes embroidery extras and a 3 yr Gold Standard Warranty. My Dealer had another person looking but only wants to pay $4800. I am thinking of going to CL or PR soon. So yes, $3,500 is an excellant offer.

I had to make the decision of whether to keep my Ellisimo I or buy the Ellisimo Gold II. The first upgrade was included as a bonus by my dealer but would have been under $200. It adds embroideries and a camera zoom to 200%. The second upgrade is not useful- it is a drawing pad program that is as clumsy as an Etch-A-Sketch. The third upgrade add more embroidery files and is a borderless hoop program which runs around $400 and is only useful if you do that type of thing. The fourth upgrade runs $600-700 and gives you options to set functions like needle up/down and reverse and cut into your foot pedal.
It also adds a laser pointer for your needle drop in the embroidery module. So for $3500 and $1200 in upgrades 1&4 (cheaper if you wait for dealer sales) you have a wonderful machine. In fact, You have a wonderful machine without them!!

I almost regret getting the Ellisimo Gold II package. It is the same machine with better lighting- but the lighting was so good on my Ellisimo that the extra lighting does not make a difference to me- even with my glaucoma. I will never use Upgrade 2 and 3. I went for it because the deal included Sophia 2 and the Enlighten. I wanted both of those. I don't think the deal saved me any money- I broke even. It was a demo and has nearly 200,000 stiches- just a bit less than my 3 yr old machine (I seldom embroidery).

So right now I would be happy with keeping either Ellisimo and selling the other. It will be interesting to see the value of the Ellisimos being sold now that folks are replacing with the Ellisimo Gold 2. I suspect it will remain $4000 to $5500 depending on locality and stitch count and upgrades.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Carriekaye
Carriekaye  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 11/20/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/11/13 3:35 AM

Thanks Sandi, Your input is particularly important. I have decided to buy the machine assuming it's what she said it is, and am driving 5 hours roundtrip to look at it. The things we do for our sewing hobby/habit/addition/happiness. :)

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 12/11/13 3:37 AM

If you have a BL dealer near than make an apt to sew on whatever Ellisimo they have for demo. All the Ellisimo models sew in the exact same way. They embroider in the exact same way. If this is the machine of your dreams you won't go wrong- sounds like it was dealer maintained.

If you get it home and find that you really need the few extra embroidery files or the camera zoom or the extra lighting and foot pedal features, they can be added through the upgrades over time.

I think the Ellisimo Gold 2's are going to be a tough sell to original Ellisimo owners once the word gets out that the upgrades give the exact same features. Unless the Dealers can make bundled sales like mine did.

The dealers no longer are selling the plain jane Ellisimo so these type of good deals will only be from private sales. The Ellisimo Gold II features are really aimed for hard core embroiderers- except for Upgrade 4 which quilters and sewists will appreciate.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Babylock Ellisimo or wait for ...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Vogue Patterns 8718

photo
by: irem

Review
Favorite Things The Cargo Tote Pattern

Favorite Things The Cargo Tote Pattern

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Child's Hawaiian Muumuu Dress or Nightgown

Victoria Jones Collection Child's Hawaiian Muumuu Dress or Nightgown

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.