SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Spaces > Am I crazy to get this or is it a good deal? ( Moderated by Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Am I crazy to get this or is it a good deal?
Need a table for my serger, found something on CL
HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

Date: 12/11/13 9:38 AM

Right now my serger either lives on a bookshelf (meaning I don't pull it out unless I really, really, REALLY want to serge something because it's a pain in the butt) or on the floor next to my sewing table, meaning I'm stepping over it or my sewing machine when I switch between the two.

So I've been looking for a good deal on something my serger can live on to solve both these problems. I found something on CL that is local and looks really fabulous. The top has some awful stain/wear on it, but I think my mom might know how to fix it...or I could probably refinish it if I wanted to.

Old sewing? table

I can't figure out what's going on inside this piece though--what is that door opening for? o.O Kind of odd looking. It DOES look as though the top folds out--meaning it really was an old sewing table perhaps? Am I crazy at considering this cuz it's a wee bit ugly or is it a good steal/value for a space that nobody but myself and my cat really goes into?

Maybe I just think it's ugly because of the wear on top and those handles. The handles could definitely be replaced...

Thoughts?

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 93 yards
Sewn: 57 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

Addierecoy
Addierecoy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 5/30/13
Send Message

Date: 12/11/13 9:56 AM

It's definitely an old sewing machine cabinet, and no beauty for sure, but it does look like it would work for your purposes. And I'm betting it's built very well. If I were you, I might try to get them down to $10.

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/11/13 10:34 AM

Looks like a good deal.
Some of the old cabinets had a place underneath on the right to hold the foot control so you could operate it with your knee. The hole in the front is probably to easily reach the bobbin case of a flatbed machine.

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

Date: 12/11/13 11:02 AM

I think I'm going to see if I can talk them down to $10 or $15...mention that I'm going to have to match the stain to finish it off.

I kind of like the idea of a knee control; I like to sit cross legged at the machine sometimes.

Thanks for the support. Sometimes I just need another voice saying "No, you're not bonkers" to make me feel better. I emailed them; hopefully I'll get a response soon!

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to HanPanda <<

Date: 12/11/13 12:55 PM

There will be a hole in the top of this cabinet for mounting an old mechanical machine - probably a Kenmore. These shouldn't be more than 10 because who wants the hole? I used a cabinet like this for years but put a large board on the top so I could use it with a machine htat wouldn't mount inside one of these. The extra leaf is great but you have to cover the gaping hole - I would look elsewhere as these are white elephants waiting to happen now, and you cannot put a computerized machine in one, nor the serger. You need a Kenmore mechanical to mount inside.

Oh - the door opens to provide storage and give you knees room, and the top opens up to a leaf and you want to check the hinges and see if that leaf veers downwards by now. AND there must be a reason they aren't picturing the leaf open.
-- Edited on 12/11/13 12:57 PM --

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

Date: 12/11/13 1:35 PM

What Mufffet said - the hole in the table makes it not suitable for a serger. It's designed so that you can fold the machine down into the table for storage (my mother had one of these - w/ the knee control and all). You'd be better off w/ a piece of plywood on cinder blocks! Actually, plywood (painted/finished) over bookcases is ideal. Or an old card table? Or basically any smallish table that doesn't have a hole in it.

But I have found that I prefer to serge standing up - so maybe you should look for old cabinets (from a kitchen remodel for example)? You'd get both storage and a place to serge!

justgail

justgail
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 1/19/06
Send Message

Date: 12/11/13 1:37 PM

Instead of putting a board on top of the hole, you could cut a bigger hole in the top, mount a board down inside the cabinet and have the bed of your serger flush (or closer to flush) with the cabinet.

The door simply opens to give more leg room, reach the bobbin and store a few items. Some cabinets have doors that swing all the way around and become a support for the fold-out part of the top.

edited to add - regarding card tables - don't try to use one with the thin flexible tops. Unless you sew VERY slowly, your machine may be bouncing up and down like crazy.
-- Edited on 12/11/13 1:41 PM --

Addierecoy
Addierecoy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 5/30/13
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 12/11/13 3:42 PM

It may have a wooden cover that matches the table top that fits over the hole snuggly. I currently have my serger sitting over the hole cover in a 1950's era sewing desk and it is very solid. It will depend on the quality of the cabinet in the first place. I also once had a cabinet about that size that was exactly the same and held a machine on top without vibration.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/11/13 6:20 PM

I think you can find something better, unless it's free. How is you sewing machine set up? table/cabinet/desk?

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

Date: 12/11/13 9:02 PM

This is my "current setup," since I have been switching between the machines. :/

Sewing machine "set up"

I find it funny y'all are mentioning the hole--the table I use is an antique singer table with a drop down leaf too. My mom has the original machine that came with it for now.

Definitely good points to mention about the hinge and the hole, and something I can probably bring up to the seller when I go to try to bring the price down. I am actually quite crafty though...I don't think it would be too terribly difficult to fit and cut some wood to go right into the hole though--is there any reason besides aesthetics that I shouldn't do this?

Diane, I have been looking for a serger table (granted, off and on) since October. This is the best thing I have found in that time that is cheap/affordable and would serve purpose. Unless you know of a place I should be looking for things like this that is better than Craigslist/freecycle/occasional yard sale/one or two estate sales? Part of my problem is also that I have a very small space to put it--that's highly I thought this might be perfect.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Spaces >> Am I crazy to get this or is it a good deal?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 52562-1000

photo
by: SusiM

Review
You Sew Girl Panel Bag

You Sew Girl Panel Bag

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Self Drafted Pattern 214272-1000

photo
by: KAHooke

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.