SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Does the Bernina series 7 still have bugs? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Does the Bernina series 7 still have bugs?
Nunum
Nunum
Beginner
USA
Member since 12/1/13
Send Message

Date: 12/11/13 9:52 PM

Sooooo, I've been looking at sewing machines for the past few months (ahem, cough cough, can't make a decision to save my life), and at first, the Berninas were too expensive for me, but now I want one. :P

I want to sew garments and costumes, with lots of variety of materials, from silk to soft leather.

I really liked the 380 and the reviews on it are awesome and everyone loves it, but then theres the 530, which is basically the next step up, and the reviews aren't as googly-oogly as the 380 are, but still good.

But then the stupid dealer showed me the lower end 7 series and I loved that I could later on add embroidery if I wanted, although I hate Windows and would loathe paying like 1,700 for Windows software plus 2,000 for the embroidery attachment. I liked the auto cutter and how it had a consultant and how I could make buttonholes bigger or smaller or whatever I wanted at the touch of my fingertips. It's also bigger, which is a plus. BUT I've read that people really don't like the 7 series anyway, and because it's new, it has a bunch of bugs and I'm not a gambler.

Should I go with the 380 or the 530, or is the 7 series really the cats meow?

So confused. Buying a sewing machine is hard, I quit. LOL

Nunum
Nunum
Beginner
USA
Member since 12/1/13
Send Message

Date: 12/11/13 9:57 PM

Oh I forgot to ask, does anyone know how long the 380 and the 530 has been out?

aka4512
aka4512  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/2/12
Send Message

In reply to Nunum <<

Date: 12/11/13 10:25 PM

The 7 series are wonderful machines. I have the 750qe without the embroidery unit (I assume that's the machine you were looking at) and love it although I have to say I hate the limitations of the embroidery features however I now realise I'm not much of a machine embroiderist and would need software to be able to edit designs etc. The 750qe is compatible with the designer software by Bernina (something I am interested and may purchase it when I decide to purchase the embroidery module). I had a chance to purchase a 730e at the time I was deciding to purchase my new machine earlier this year but felt the exact same about the windows system. It seemed slow and dull. The embroidery field is smaller. although at $3499 for 730e with embroidery etc it was tempting but not tempting enough.

Yes the 7 series does have a bad reputation of bugs (mine certainly had some) however Bernina has made updates to fix apparent problems. The first update was in regards to the poor tensions, they had a couple for through out the year (although to be honest I am a couple updates behind so need to see my dealer lol)

the 3series and the 5 series have been out for a few years now. They are all great machines. Bernina has released the 560 which is just a smaller version of the 750qe. Might be something consider. It has the auto thread trimmers, the consultant gizmo thing at a great price from what I heard from the forums here on PR. I think it was on sale for $2699 for the 560 without the embroidery unit or $3499 with the embroidery unit with a 500 embroidery design collection cd.

------
Janome 300E
Bernina 1120
Bernina 1130s
Bernina Artista 200
Bernina 750QE
Bernina 1150MDA
From Sydney

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to Nunum <<

Date: 12/11/13 10:41 PM

From what I'm reading the bugs have been worked out on the 7 series machines, and those on PR who are buying them now seem thrilled. Enough that I have machine envy and I own an 830LE!

Keep in mind you don't have to purchase the Bernina software (although it is very nice) to do embroidery. There are much less expensive options that would allow you to edit designs and still load them and stitch them out on the 7 series machines. I do own Bernina software, but I more often use other software to edit designs. A lot of people love embird, which is a much more economical way to go. There are other programs as well--you can search through the embroidery related threads, or ask questions there too.

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Nunum <<

Date: 12/11/13 10:42 PM

I'm loving my 780 so far! Sews beautifully and no tension problems.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Nunum <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/11/13 11:06 PM

If you're thinking of a 530, I'd push you over to the B560. It has a color touch screen, a lot more features than the 530...and you can add the embroidery module later.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

aka4512
aka4512  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/2/12
Send Message

In reply to Sonoma33 <<

Date: 12/11/13 11:30 PM

what embroidery software do you use? I am really considering to buy software for my 750qe because the embroidery features are rather pathetic in IMHO. Made me think about getting another machine just for the embroidery.

------
Janome 300E
Bernina 1120
Bernina 1130s
Bernina Artista 200
Bernina 750QE
Bernina 1150MDA
From Sydney

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to aka4512 <<

Date: 12/11/13 11:45 PM

Well, I have two expensive options. I have the Bernina software, and I have the Pfaff TruEmbroidery software--which I prefer as it runs native on my mac. However, I have friends who use and really like embird. The Bernina software is really nice--and I'm tempted to get version 7 (upgrade) but it is expensive and I think starting out with embird or embrilliance is a great way to go to edit designs if you want to start with something less expensive to see how much editing you do. The truth is both of my software programs allow you to digitize--which I haven't really been interested in doing. I DO edit designs quite a bit, and add in text and borders, etc. and that all could have been done in much less expensive options like I mentioned above. So, it really depends on what you want to do and your budget.

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

aka4512
aka4512  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/2/12
Send Message

In reply to Sonoma33 <<

Date: 12/12/13 0:00 AM

That sounds really fun! Bernina is currently having huge discount on their V6 embroidery software at $1499. $1000 dollar discount however i cannot afford it right now which is a bummer. I think I may wait until the V7 software is available here in Australia anyhow.

------
Janome 300E
Bernina 1120
Bernina 1130s
Bernina Artista 200
Bernina 750QE
Bernina 1150MDA
From Sydney

pamyjo2001

pamyjo2001  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 11/23/06
online now
Send Message

Date: 12/12/13 1:14 AM

Another note on the topic. Some of the stitches on the 5 series stitch out much better on the 7 and 8 series.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Does the Bernina series 7 still have bugs?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

SewBaby Animal Mittens Pattern

SewBaby Animal Mittens Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Uptown Coat Pattern

Favorite Things Uptown Coat Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.