SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Oh, I wish......... ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Oh, I wish.........
Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/15/13 9:09 AM

I wish pattern makers would present patterns that are new and updated, that would look good, and really fit the real world people out here. I wish they would fit my hips & thighs without effort. I wish that they would look good on me at my age & counting...... I wish I could be happy with making the same thing over & over with just a different pattern in the fabric "so it looks different!"

Anyone else out there desiring some else in patterns that aren't the same rehash of the old??? Any I wishes.....

signed: tired of the same ol........

------
There is no easy way! quote from my Grandfather
Sharing is caring!

Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 12/15/13 9:11 AM

....I wish sewing machine manufacturers would listen to what we really need in a machine then produce it without costing $$$$$.$$. I wish......

------
Sharing is caring!

JUNIPERJUNE
JUNIPERJUNE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Quebec CANADA
Member since 7/20/12
Send Message

In reply to Restart06 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/15/13 9:40 AM

I hear your complaints, and I think many of us can relate. I have been taking classes and we have learned to modify the patterns to fit our dimensions. The pattern adjustment is the fun part of sewing, it can be very creative. I took a Jalie shirt pattern and made a turtle neck, mock neck, short sleeve, long sleeve, 3/4 sleeve shirts, short dress, long etc, etc...
One of my next classes will be to take a class on modifying the pants to fit my dimensions.

Sewliz
star
Sewliz  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 6/22/04
Send Message

thumbsup 11 members like this.

Date: 12/15/13 11:04 AM

I wish all patterns would be drafting error free and sew up to be a nice garment.

------
Liz

thefittinglife.blogspot.com

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

In reply to JUNIPERJUNE <<
thumbsup 9 members like this.

Date: 12/15/13 12:59 PM

"The pattern adjustment is the fun part of sewing"

Not for me! I did very little garment sewing for years, because fitting is a pain and a hassle (and that's when I was a RTW 2-4). I have always sewn copies of RTW that fits me well. I'm trying to get back to sewing from patterns, because I do enjoy the sewing part and making unique garments, but I'm *this close* to quitting because fitting is such a pain. I don't wear very fitted clothes, and I've no trouble finding a decent fit in RTW. I rarely wear pants, so it's not like I'm trying anything too challenging either. I recently had to take 3"+ !!! out of a neck yoke for a top that fit otherwise. That's just crazy.

I guess it explains a lot that some people enjoy altering patterns to fit. I would pay to have a pattern fit to me, so that I could just cut and sew. I'd get out of the cutting too, if I could.....

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 12 members like this.

Date: 12/15/13 1:20 PM

Jalie and StyleArc and Lekala have changed my life. I don't mind making a few changes to account for my less-than-ideal body, but it sure is easier and more fun when I'm not spending time fixing a pattern company's excess ease and amateurish drafting.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

clotheshorse
star
clotheshorse  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/24/10
Send Message

Date: 12/15/13 1:25 PM

I have been using mainly Style Arc patterns lately, they are fabulous!

------
Viking D1, 1+, Pfaff 7570, Singer 503 Rocketeer, 66, 15-91, 301, Featherweight 6 Flock, Babylock Enlighten & CS and Pfaff Creative Performance

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to Maia B <<

Date: 12/15/13 2:41 PM

Quote:

I second your Maia !! I think pattern adjustment is only fun if you're doing it because you want to make some kind of creative change, not because you have to to get a decent fit.

And I second what Karla said about using patterns that are actually drafted properly. I haven't discovered Jalie, StyleArc, or Lekala yet, but this is how I feel about Burda and Ottobre Woman. And if surely SOME companies can do this, they all can -- or could.
-- Edited on 12/15/13 2:43 PM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 12/15/13 5:28 PM

wha..................???????

------
Sharing is caring!

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/15/13 5:34 PM

Whew! I'm relieved I'm not the only one who feels that way.

I haven't tried Style Arc yet b/c my recent garments have turned out worthy of only "around the house" wear-due to poor fit, so I hesitate to spend so much for single size patterns, which may not result in a garment I can wear out. Jalie are too fitted for how I dress in public. I'll have to check out Lekala, but did I read somewhere they don't include sewing instructions?

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Oh, I wish.........

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Understanding Knit Fabrics
Understanding Knit Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

Butterick 5616

photo
by: valerie se...

Review

Pattern

Favorite Things Cute Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Cute Skirts Pattern

More Info
Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

More Info
Chris W Designs Evelyn

photo
by: heemee

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.