SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Juki TL2010 vs. Brother PQ1500s... ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Juki TL2010 vs. Brother PQ1500s...
ediebell
ediebell
Member since 9/30/13
Send Message

Date: 12/15/13 9:53 AM

...compare and contrast please? Is the first worth a few hundred dollars more? Thank you!

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to ediebell <<

Date: 12/15/13 12:26 PM

There have been a few threads debating this topic off and on over the years. Here is an extensive one from 3 years ago. The Juki TL 98Q was the predecessor to the 2010Q, for reference.

Brother has pin feed and costs less. Juki has a pre-tensioner, speed control and cutter on the foot pedal. Both are excellent straight stitch machines that can use a wide range of industrial feet.
-- Edited on 12/15/13 12:28 PM --

AngieRose

AngieRose  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/1/09
Send Message

In reply to ediebell <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/15/13 12:35 PM

The Brother has some nice features---but, it misses on one compared to the Juki machines, and that is Needle Up-Down is not like the Juki.

Unless it has changed over the years I owned my Brother PQ1500.

When you push the needle down on the Brother, yes, it goes down, but that is where it stays….what you are doing is setting how you want the needle to stop when sewing. Down, or up.

It will not bring the thread to the surface of the fabric when you push the "needle down/up" feature on the machine ---the Juki has a "true needle up/down" button. You push it, and the needle goes down---grabs the bobbin thread, and brings it up to the surface of the fabric. The Brother does not do this. Instead you have to use the hand wheel to bring up the bobbin thread.

I hope I'm explaining this correctly for you….

Like I said, unless the newer Brother PQ1500 have added this feature. Just for that reason alone, I would buy the Juki.

------
AngieRose, who love sewing, machine embroidery and quilting. 2008 Babylock Ellisimo, 2013 Brother DreamWeaver VQ3000, Bernina 1090, Singer Featherweight & 2009 Prodigy Quilter
http://timberhillthreads.blogspot.com

ediebell
ediebell
Member since 9/30/13
Send Message

In reply to AngieRose <<

Date: 12/15/13 12:40 PM

Quote: AngieRose
The Brother has some nice features---but, it misses on one compared to the Juki machines, and that is Needle Up-Down is not like the Juki.

Unless it has changed over the years I owned my Brother PQ1500.

When you push the needle down on the Brother, yes, it goes down, but that is where it stays….what you are doing is setting how you want the needle to stop when sewing. Down, or up.

It will not bring the thread to the surface of the fabric when you push the "needle down/up" feature on the machine ---the Juki has a "true needle up/down" button. You push it, and the needle goes down---grabs the bobbin thread, and brings it up to the surface of the fabric. The Brother does not do this. Instead you have to use the hand wheel to bring up the bobbin thread.

I hope I'm explaining this correctly for you….

Like I said, unless the newer Brother PQ1500 have added this feature. Just for that reason alone, I would buy the Juki.

That's how every needle up/down function has worked (like the brother) that I've ever used, on Pfaff or Bernina. What's the advantage?

What's purpose of pre tensioner please/

Used a Brother before seemed pretty easy to control stitch speed but I'll think on that too. I thought it does have a cutter (just not on pedal) will double check. Thanks!

I do an occasional quilt but am probably going to do more and was looking for something bigger without going to a bigger all purpose machine.
ediebell
ediebell
Member since 9/30/13
Send Message

In reply to karen149 <<

Date: 12/15/13 12:43 PM

Quote: karen149
There have been a few threads debating this topic off and on over the years. Here is an extensive one from 3 years ago. The Juki TL 98Q was the predecessor to the 2010Q, for reference.

Brother has pin feed and costs less. Juki has a pre-tensioner, speed control and cutter on the foot pedal. Both are excellent straight stitch machines that can use a wide range of industrial feet.
-- Edited on 12/15/13 12:28 PM --

Thanks, but that was started nearly 4 years ago, think I'd prefer to compare current models.
AngieRose

AngieRose  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/1/09
Send Message

In reply to ediebell <<

Date: 12/15/13 1:02 PM

The advantage for a true needle up down feature is to bring your bobbin thread to the surface with one push of a button, especially if you are machine quilting, this is advantageous. Most quilters like to hold onto both the bobbin thread, and top thread as they start stitching across the fabric….also, just for bringing your bobbin thread to the surface of the needle plate when you have placed a new bobbin in the machine, the needle up/down feature is very useful.
As I said, the Juki does this needle up/down in one swift motion, the Brother does not.

Also, most of the newer machines on the market have a needle down, needle up button somewhere and you do not have to turn the hand wheel.

I urge you to test both the Brother and Juki, and especially this feature (needle up/down) to see there is a distinct difference.

Also, if you use this machine on any type of stand up machine quilting frame, you will surely want a true needle up down feature.

------
AngieRose, who love sewing, machine embroidery and quilting. 2008 Babylock Ellisimo, 2013 Brother DreamWeaver VQ3000, Bernina 1090, Singer Featherweight & 2009 Prodigy Quilter
http://timberhillthreads.blogspot.com

ilesliemy
ilesliemy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 2/25/05
Send Message

Date: 12/15/13 2:17 PM

The Janome 1600p even the older ones also had the true needle up, down plus the speed slider and thread cutter and knee lift, pre tension etc. I loved mine.
Leslie

------
Bernina Gal

kcurtis
kcurtis  Friend of PR
Advanced
Colorado USA
Member since 12/15/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/15/13 2:44 PM

I use the Brother PQ1500s daily. It is now my goto machine when I need a straight stitch. I love that it offers a 7mm stitch length.

I find the pin feed invaluable on some fabrics that simple don't want to feed well without it. I feel that successfully feeding fabric is the most important feature a sewing machine can offer. Without that none of the other features matter much in my book.

------
Just a hack that sews for a living. ;)

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

Date: 12/15/13 5:05 PM

I have the PQ1500S and love it. It does not have a needle up/down button like the Juki, the Brother has a needle-down function so that when it's active it always stops sewing with the needle down - so that you can reposition your hands on your work without the work slipping out of place. It works fine for quilting on a table but if I had a machine on a frame I'd go for one with an up/down button.

I dithered over the Brother, the Juki, and the comparable Janome 1600 for two years until DH bought me this one for Christmas a few years ago. He picked based on the one sold by the shop we like. Not the worst way to choose, they're all great machines.

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to ediebell <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/15/13 5:15 PM

The comments are still relevant as the Brother PQ1500s has been around for years. The Jukis are basically the same with new model names and some with extra features but they still perform the same.

The Brother does the job but personally, I'd prefer the Juki. I tried one a few years ago for FMQ and just loved it.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Juki TL2010 vs. Brother PQ1500s...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

Simplicity 2360

photo
by: Jemajyng

Review
THE SKIRTS - A CD Book By Kenneth King

THE SKIRTS - A CD Book By Kenneth King

Buy Now
Full Bust DVD

Full Bust DVD

Buy Now
Kwik Sew 3672

photo
by: myeclectic...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.