SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Creative Sewing > What is the best way to adhere your fabric to another fabric? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What is the best way to adhere your fabric to another fabric?
Harleyjo

Harleyjo
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 9/16/07
Send Message

Date: 12/17/13 11:44 PM

I am making Christmas stockings for my family. I made up my own things from fabric I already have to place on the stockings. This time around I used stitch witchery and then a decorative stitch for some of them. I was adhering to denim. This worked fine but I am wondering if there is another product or a different way to do this.

------
Jolene

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 12/2/08
Send Message

In reply to Harleyjo <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/18/13 0:11 AM

There is also a product called Steam-A-Seam. It comes in sheets that you can cut in any shape. You would need to purchase the type that is sticky on both sides, as there are different types of this product. What's good about it is that it will hold your fabric appliques or decorations, and you can move them about the stockings until you are happy with the placement. Once decided, press with a steam iron and it's a permanent bond. I found out about Steam-A-Seam a few months ago from PR members, and I have found many uses for it already!

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

michelle_01
star
michelle_01
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 3/23/04
Send Message

Date: 12/18/13 1:11 AM

Depending on what you're fusing, Heat'n'bond is an option. I think its better for craft type projects and it has a strong hold (in my experience).

arianamaniacs
starstarstarstar
arianamaniacs  Friend of PR
Advanced
International AUSTRIA
Member since 6/11/04
Send Message

Date: 12/18/13 8:00 AM

Since it's fabric, can you not top-stitch them to the front side of the stockings? You just have to wait to sew the stocking sides together until the front is decorated.

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

Date: 12/18/13 8:10 AM

Heat-n-Bond or temporary fabric adhesive spray.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 12/18/13 9:55 AM

There is also a good variety of fabric glues that work well for this. I know Alene's makes one or two, but don't recall the names. They should be easy to get at a craft or fabric store.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 12/18/13 11:59 AM

Like everything else, I don't think there's a single Best Way; what's "best" depends on a lot of different factors, and might take some experimentation.

I'm a big, big Steam-a-Seam fan, and used it well before I ever started to sew, on everything from pant hems to craft projects to window treatments. Now I use it for things like this thread--sticking tricky bits together so they're easier to sew together. Sometimes pins aren't the best option. :)

...But I've also used StitchWitchery. I think they function pretty much identically, but for whatever reason, I found Stitch Witchery to work a little better when I was applying some genuine suede trim to a project (before sewing it). It seemed like that wanted a bit of a lighter touch than I feel I get from Steam-a-Seam, although that is PURELY subjective and I can't quantify it at all!

...And there are the cases where I've used glue. I've just started experimenting with basting spray, and it's fabulous for taming knits. I've also pulled out a regular ol' craft glue stick once or twice, in a pinch.

If you gradually gather in a variety of supplies, you'll get a chance to experiment and figure out what works "best" for you!

Have fun--your stockings sound darling. :)
-- Edited on 12/18/13 12:02 PM --

------
~Gem in the prairie

Harleyjo

Harleyjo
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 9/16/07
Send Message

Date: 12/18/13 12:50 PM

Thanks everyone. I don't know how to post pictures on here anymore or I would post some.

------
Jolene

Melinda In Tulsa
star
Melinda In Tulsa  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/15/03
Send Message

Date: 12/18/13 4:06 PM

There are 2 different Steam a Seams. There is a lighter version called Steam a Seam II.

------
Melinda

We had to get rid of the kids, the dogs are allergic

Babylock Unity, Symphony, Serenade, Imagine Wave, BL Coverstitch, BL Emore, BL Embellisher, Juki TL2010Q, Pfaff 7570, Kenmore 385.1915, Kenmore 158.1914, Kenmore 158.1430, Brother PE 150, 1938 Singer Featherweight, 1896 Singer 27 Treadle...Member of SMAD

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

In reply to Melinda In Tulsa <<

Date: 12/18/13 5:11 PM

Quote: Melinda In Tulsa
There are 2 different Steam a Seams. There is a lighter version called Steam a Seam II.

Ok, and this is where I get confused. There's "Steam-a-Seam," there's "Steam-a-Seam 2," *and* there's "Steam-a-Seam 2 Lite." I have rolls of Steam-a-Seam 2, and SaS2 Lite in my stash, and from what I can tell, the "2" means that it's double-sided. I have never personally seen plain ol' Steam-a-Seam (one-sided?) but I can only assume that it actually existed at one time!

------
~Gem in the prairie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> What is the best way to adhere your fabric to another fabric?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

DRESS LINES - A CD Book by Kenneth King

DRESS LINES - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Victory Lola Paper Pattern

Victory Lola Paper Pattern

Buy Now
McCall's 6611

photo
by: LizJaneB

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.