SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Tribute 140c ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Tribute 140c
An early gift
ThreadsofFaith
star
ThreadsofFaith
Intermediate
Member since 12/4/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/19/13 11:06 AM

A Viking Tribute 140C found it's way onto my sewing desk last night. It was an amazing early gift from my family and I am utterly stunned. For one, I don't need a new machine and was quite happy with my old Singer mechanical. Second, the cost!! I know some machines are so much more, but for me, this is a very spendy machine. It was purchased by my loving father who went into the store saying his daughter wanted a great, powerful mechanical and they sold him the 140C. I am stunned. I'm thinking I should take it back for something else but my dad will be heartbroken that I'm turning down his generosity. I really don't *need* the eleventy billion stitches and need something that can handle anything I throw at it. Please, ladies, give me some sage advice as I figure out how to be gracious and smart about this. Many thanks!!

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to ThreadsofFaith <<
thumbsup 12 members like this.

Date: 12/19/13 11:14 AM

Dear ThreadsofFaith, accept this wonderful gift from your family. This machine will serve you so well. Forget about the guilt and the number of stitches. Your Viking will sew for you for a long time and you will enjoy the longer harp. As you go aloing you will find more things to sew and more ways to use your wonderul machine. What a lovely sign of the love your family has for you and the faith they have in you that you will use this machine for so many nice things made by you!

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 12/19/13 11:17 AM

Use it an enjoy it, you don't want to break you father's heart. Keep your mechanical for a back up, and enjoy the new electronic. You will love the needle down position, the infinite needle positions, the buttonholes and how well it sews knits.
Years ago when I was a young mother, my sewing machine was a Kenmore mechanical. It was a marginal machine, and I couldn't put anything thick under the presser foot. My dear mother sent me a red Viking 6460 (tol) for Valentines day. I felt just like you do. But I ended up loving that machine and sewed even more.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

thumbsup 10 members like this.

Date: 12/19/13 11:32 AM

Just checked, what a nice looking machine! Loads of stitches don't do a thing for me. What is immediately noticeable about your new machine is the nice long and open bed. The write up claimed a sensor that picked up on the thickness of your fabric layers!!!! And the new machine should have lighting that your eyes will be grateful for for the rest of your life.

We parents tend to want to add in a bit extra when we can, perhaps knowing that it won't always be feasible, perhaps thinking of the times that we couldn't, or just because we love our youngsters. So, what would you do, trade the machine for something that cost less? Could your dad have already thought that he is not a take you out to lunch, send you flowers, our buy you a token of jewelry sort of dad and figured a bit extra in?

My stepfather surprised (and shocked) me before he and my mom married. She asked me to help paint inside so the house would be 'new' for them. He sent me flowers for helping out! This was not what I was accustomed to. Should I have refused them saying they were too much or too expensive?

You know how to be gracious. As for being smart, determine which of your two machines are best suited for particular tasks and use them accordingly.

My advice....stitch dad up some Christmas pj's ASAP.
-- Edited on 12/19/13 11:39 AM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

heathergwo
heathergwo  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 12/19/13 3:39 PM

I agree with everyone else. Keep the machine and every time you sew on it, you'll think of your family and their generosity and how much they obviously love you.

Giving gifts is, for me, supposed to be something fun and unnecessary - in other words something you WANT, not something you NEED.

Enjoy, have fun and make them some gifts from your new addition!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 12/19/13 8:21 PM

I think you should keep it and use it and be happy with it! I think it does not matter how much money it cost just because your loving Father bought it very much on purpose for you and wants you to be able to have it and enjoy using it. And part of that is being gracious enough to accept a gift from someone (at least in your own family and not from someone you don't know as well whom might be trying to impress you with something sometimes for some other kind of purpose at all ) and without hurting their feelings or somehow feeling of being unworthy of some really nice gift at all. But, I was just brought up that way, everyone is different.

So also I feel when people give someone else a "gift" part of that is also always meeting some needs for the "gifter" too, and meets their wants and needs and wishes for the other person also. To kind of deny that, and try to act like that is not important or does not count, (or to try to convert it into some kind of cash value to be used for something else instead, and disregarding that person in that way) I think does lead to hurt feelings and problems and even them not wanting to ever gift you with things sometimes, or even feeling sometimes that it is almost a rejection of them in some ways, so I think kind of a bad idea most of the time, and instead you just say a great big thank you instead! Just my personal opinion though.

ccris
ccris
Intermediate
Member since 10/27/05
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 12/19/13 8:24 PM

Your dad is very obviously proud of his daughter's sewing ability. He wanted you to have something very special, knowing you'd never purchase it for yourself. Keep it and give him a big hug. No one "needs" eleventy billion stitches but you'll eventually find use for some of them. Congratulations on having such a loving family and a beautiful new sewing machine. You are very blessed. I think your family might love you more than you love yourself.

PS.....Make your dad a pair of pajamas in the coming new year.....just because you love him, too!!!

-- Edited on 12/19/13 8:41 PM --

ThreadsofFaith
star
ThreadsofFaith
Intermediate
Member since 12/4/12
Send Message

thumbsup 9 members like this.

Date: 12/19/13 9:59 PM

I am so thankful for your kind and helpful replies. I have spent today with dreadful anxiety - worried that the machine is too much for me and I won't learn it well ... but that if I return it, I'll ruin the joy my father had in buying it. (Lessons aren't an option as the dealer is too far away.) You've really encouraged me that the kindest thing to do is accept it with the joy it was given to me and learn to love it because my Daddy is the nicest guy in the world. :)

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 12/19/13 10:12 PM

Bless you! I am happy you accepted the machine... do not be afraid because you have a whole world of sewing enthusiasts as well as sewing machine-ophiles who are here and can help you with your questions. I am sure someone has this machine... Enjoy the machine and your wonderful family this Holiday.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 12/19/13 11:56 PM

I saw this machine in person at the quilt festival here last year. It is a special edition color of one of the Sapphire models. This year they had the Eden Rose which it also resembles....these are great machines, and they help you get great results!

edited for hideous spelling errors at a late hour!
-- Edited on 12/20/13 10:28 AM --

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Tribute 140c

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 12-2010-101

photo
by: jennybaxt

Review
McCall's 5963

photo
by: ChrisS

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Islander Shirt Pattern Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Islander Shirt Pattern Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Boot Slippers Pattern

Favorite Things The Boot Slippers Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.