SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Must stop shops in the garment district NYC? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Must stop shops in the garment district NYC?
Jenniel73
Jenniel73  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
DC USA
Member since 10/19/13
Send Message

Date: 12/19/13 6:13 PM

I will have an hour or two in the garment district. Where should I go? I really only purchase stretch fabric jerseys cotton or poly. I really could use tshirt fabric must pick up serger thread and sewing machine thread.

Thanks in advance.

------
Jennie, Washington DC

mmcp
mmcp  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MD USA
Member since 5/31/09
Send Message

Date: 12/19/13 6:40 PM

B&J's is my favorite these days. They have a really great selection of the knits you are looking for, good light, and and really good customer service. Prices are not rock-bottom but fair., and the quality is really good They don't carry thread, but many of the good fabric stores in NY don't.

Ahuva
star
Ahuva  Friend of PR
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 10/26/04
Send Message

Date: 12/19/13 8:01 PM

My all around favorite is Metro Textiles. Kashi has a great variety of knits right now (and always). He is really helpful and his prices are low.
I was just there today :-)

And last week as well

------
My brand new blog! http://happysewist.blogspot.com

"One must learn by doing the thing; for though you think you know it, you have no certainty, until you try."
Sophocles

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

In reply to Ahuva <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/19/13 8:32 PM

Quote: Ahuva
My all around favorite is Metro Textiles. Kashi has a great variety of knits right now (and always). He is really helpful and his prices are low.

I was just there today :-)

And last week as well

OK. I'm jealous.

I'm in Denver... it's a fabric wasteland here unless you're looking for quilting cotton or flannel.

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

BrendaR
BrendaR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 6/13/13
Send Message

Date: 12/20/13 0:47 AM

Last time I was at New York Elegant Fabrics, they had a lot of solid cotton knits (but no white or black). I'm sure the selection changes all the time, but at the time I wrote this review. http://sewing.patternreview.com/review/store/2332

magoe6217
star
magoe6217  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD USA
Member since 1/25/07
Send Message

In reply to Jenniel73 <<

Date: 12/20/13 8:00 AM

Spandex World is one of my favorites for knit jersey. Be sure to go upstairs as well.

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to Jenniel73 <<

Date: 12/20/13 6:35 PM

It depends on how much you want to spend and the fibers you are looking for. I don't like Metro all that much because there are so many poly knits which I don't wear. I do sew a great many knits and
I find Mood is a good all around place and they have a lovely selection of knits in all fibers. If you only have a few hours it's a good choice.
If you really want a good deal on thread I'd mail order it from Wawak. They frequently have sales on thread and the prices are very good. Better than I've found in the Garment District.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to Jenniel73 <<

Date: 12/20/13 11:21 PM

I was just in the garment district the beginning of this week. Mood has the best variety of fabrics. I was not looking for knits so can't help you there but must say the staff at Paron's was great and so were the prices. Don't miss all the lights and decorations at Bryant Park and Rockefeller Center if you are still in the city at night.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

catwoman7

catwoman7
Intermediate
Member since 4/9/07
Send Message

Date: 12/29/13 8:50 PM

I live in NYC and I frequent Metro, Mood and Paron's, and occasionally B&J. I haven't been to Spandex World in a little while.
Metro (37th betw 7th and 8th) - be prepared to poke around! The prices are good, $6/yd -$8/yd for most stretch fabrics. Kashi has some rayon but as another poster wrote, most are poly.

Paron's (39th betw 7th and 8th) selection of stretch fabrics okay. If you do go, do a search for it on Groupon - there's a deal there, $20 for a $40 coupon, $40 for a $100 coupon.

Mood (37th betw 7th and 8th) is fantastic. I try not to go there because it makes my little head spin.

For large spools of thread, there is Daytona Trimmings, on 39th between 7th and 8th. There is at least one other newer notions store on that block, same side of the street.
-- Edited on 1/1/14 11:46 AM --

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

Date: 12/29/13 9:36 PM

I'll be in NYC tomorrow for a day of fabric shopping. Adding B&J to my list.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Must stop shops in the garment district NYC?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

No Pattern Used Memory Quilt

photo
by: Passion4Se...

Review
No Pattern Used 0111

photo
by: AnitaJJ

Review
Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

Buy Now
SewBaby Easy to Sew Baby Layette Pattern

SewBaby Easy to Sew Baby Layette Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.