SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Any feedback on Brother PC-420 PRW? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Any feedback on Brother PC-420 PRW?
Brother PC-420 PRW
veritasca
veritasca  Friend of PR
Beginner
California USA
Member since 10/24/08
Send Message

Date: 12/20/13 2:13 AM

I love to sew knit fabric. Is this machine good for that? I also have a 15 year-old Berninette serger that is super-difficult to thread and would love recommendations for something simple that I can use with knit fabric? I want to get back to sewing again and need to upgrade both my sewing machine and my serger. Thank you for your feedback.

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to veritasca <<

Date: 12/20/13 8:58 AM

I had a Brother 420 for awhile and liked it. I did a review. Have you looked at the reviews on here? It did a good job with knit fabric. I also had the Brother 1034 serger and it was easy to use and inexpensive (I bought mine on Amazon). Both together would run you between $500-600. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either again. Why are you looking at that particular machine? Just wondered.
-- Edited on 12/20/13 10:02 AM --

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to veritasca <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/20/13 10:26 AM

There are a ton of reviews of this machine on AMAZON and a lot of talk here on the boards. It gets glowing reviews quite a lot. I should think it would be a nice machine if you don't sew every day all day. I love that it has a knee lift feature! WOW....that isn't something you run across in this price range often. Do let us know your thoughts if you do buy it.

Of course there are always those who had a bad experience as well but that is true of all machines and whatever else we buy. :)

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 12/20/13 11:56 AM

The easiest serger to thread would be one of the Babylock jet air sergers.

As for sewing machines, look for one that has the pressure adjustment for the presser foot.

When knit fabrics first came out(seventies) I sewed a lot of it with a Singer Golden Touch'N Sew sewing machine.

Ballpoint and stretch needles as well as sergers for home use was unheard of.

The only thread in the fabric department then was Coats & Clark.

You really don't need anything special, they are just nice to have.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

veritasca
veritasca  Friend of PR
Beginner
California USA
Member since 10/24/08
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<

Date: 12/20/13 1:57 PM

thank you for your reply, I tried to find the reviews on this machine but not able to search for them in the Reviews section. It seems that I have to click on all the result pages and it took too long. Maybe I don't know how to use the site yet! Thanks for the serger suggestion too. I am looking for an easy machine that can do knits and it was recommended by my sewing teacher.

veritasca
veritasca  Friend of PR
Beginner
California USA
Member since 10/24/08
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 12/20/13 1:59 PM

Yes, I did see the amazon reviews. It seems to get good feedback. Thanks for yours. I am not sure what the knee lift feature is but glad that it has it :-)

veritasca
veritasca  Friend of PR
Beginner
California USA
Member since 10/24/08
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 12/20/13 2:00 PM

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I did look at the Babylock jet air to help with the threading. And the pressure adjustment for the presser foot for the sewing machine is a good idea.

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to veritasca <<

Date: 12/20/13 2:36 PM

This site has alot of stuff on here and it can be hard to find information if you don't know where to look.
Here is the link for the Brother 420 reviews- 420
and for the Brother serger 1034 and there is a whole thread devoted to it under "sergers" under the Message Board tab. On the review, look up at the top of the box on the right and click on the number listed-there are 50 reviews for the serger and almost 30 for the sewing machine. That will give you a place to start.
The Babylock's are very nice but pricey. It just depends on your budget. People often recommend Juki sergers too so it just depends on what you are looking for. Have you been to any dealers to look at machines? Sergers were made for knits-that is what they do best but they will put a nice finish on any edge. I have sewn for 50 years but just bought my first serger 2 years ago. I will always have a serger now. They are the best. I am an independent learner so I ordered off Amazon. If you like the help, then buy from a dealer.
HTH

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to veritasca <<

Date: 12/21/13 0:11 AM

The knee lift allows you to lift the presser foot by using your knee or thigh and pushing on the lever and this leaves both hands free to manipulate your fabric as when you want to pivot around a corner or other uses. I love it on the one machine I have with it.

Good luck!

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 12/2/08
Send Message

Date: 12/21/13 0:39 AM

My friend has the 420 and loves it. It is very similar to my Innovis-80, but it has a few more features. My Brother is great on knits! I replaced my hard to thread Janome serger with a 1034D and love that, as well. If you can afford it, though, the Babylock air threading is unbeatable, from what I read on here on PR.

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Any feedback on Brother PC-420 PRW?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Simplicity 2975

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
Burda 7658

photo
by: julliams

Review
Christine Jonson Inset Jacket

Christine Jonson Inset Jacket

More Info
De-Mystifying Fit - A CD Book

De-Mystifying Fit - A CD Book

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.