SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > "another one bites the dust" ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
"another one bites the dust"
JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 12/21/13 4:12 PM

We were at the cottage today and I was using my Singer 5050. About half way through the project(simple straight stitching on a quilt "sandwich"). The machine became progressively slower, to the point of stopping.

I've brought her home and with hubby's help we are going to take some screws out and see if the grease is gunked up. She's been sitting in some pretty chilly temps for a long time between uses.

Has anyone else had a situation like this? Any suggestions? I really don't want to take her in for servicing right now. I already have the Baby Lock in for repair. Boy, I'm beginning to get a complex My machines are having a hard time.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11
online now
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 12/21/13 4:42 PM

Well, if you didn't sew all the time and make'em work for a living, maybe your machines would still be like new! Don't get a complex, your machines are lucky to have a sewing mama.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/21/13 4:46 PM

Has anyone else had a situation like this?

Yes, all the time. Sewing machines just don't run that well when they are really cold. Because the moving on moving metal parts in them, particular with all the old or even new oil and grease on them, get stiffer from the cold, and makes them hard to turn.

On your particular one, I bet it's worst than most on that maybe, as it just has lots of (very old now) white grease in all the moving parts and mostly in the top of the machine and that when that gets old, even if it's not really cold, it still always gets all gummy and hard and kind of getting close to being "cement like" and so even though maybe machine turning kind of or very stiff in normal room temperature, and can still get barely able to move after enough years go by on it.

Add into that, the very important factor, that you were trying to use it in a place where it was really cold too, and it probably was really cold it's self, it does not surprise me at all, that it just stopped turning and moving at all. Probably if you stuck it in front of a heater for a while or warmed it up with a hair dryer, it would at least start moving a bit better.

Unfortunate though, all that old white grease that has turned kind of cement like in the top of it now, even just over time, no matter even if you want to use it in a warmer room instead, still has to go, and be removed and replaced by some new instead, and more new oil too, before it starts moving real good. Just re-oiling it, may not even do that, if all that oil grease is so cement like in there by now. And remains in there. But, take the top off and just look in there, and I think you will even see what I meanand really obvious and right away!
-- Edited on 12/21/13 4:58 PM --
-- Edited on 12/21/13 5:00 PM --

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 12/21/13 5:00 PM

Thanks Beauturbo. I also think it's the grease. I had her serviced a few years ago, before taking her to the cottage. We have since had a lot of moisture and mold issues there. Our son installed a dehumidifier this Fall and I scrubbed the entire cottage. We leave the heat on all winter, but set at only about 57. That can get kinda nippy. And, she isn't used much.

If we can get the top off easily, we will take a look. I'm probably going to have to take her in for servicing anyway and have the tech deal with it. This machine is probably 15-20 years old and one of the good heavy ones. I really want to keep her around. Says on the info plate that it was made in Brazil ... surprised me.

I'm also thinking about taking my 16221 in for "de-greasing". There is no telling how long that sat in the box before it found a home here and was actually used. I have noticed a strong oil or grease odor coming from her, when she gets warmed up.

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/21/13 5:11 PM

Yikes! I hope it is not a Christmas gift being sew.... ut oh...

I wonder if your SMG will give you a discount when bringing them all in like that? Ours will give $10.00 off for 3 or more sm getting a complete tune up . ... might not hurt to ask. .... now a stern lecture to all going in..."you guys behave yourselves & come home working like new..." ....

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^
DH eye tumor is starting to shrink! Yipee!! This is very good news.
My kid brother had a triple bypass ..he made it.through the surgery okay. Please keep him in your prayers. A long road to recovery ahead, as more heart issues found. Still so glad he is okay.
"Dear God...Help me out please!" ..Fr. Eric
Might I say ..Thank you +

ilesliemy
ilesliemy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 2/25/05
Send Message

Subject: another one bites the dust Date: 12/21/13 7:57 PM

Have you tried a hair dryer to loosen it up?
Leslie

------
Bernina Gal

mitchs'mom
star
mitchs'mom
Member since 11/25/05
Send Message

Date: 12/21/13 10:56 PM

This sounds like a foot controller issue. Do you have another controller you can connect to the machine?

Shangas
Shangas
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/17/13
Send Message

Date: 12/22/13 2:00 AM

It's probably just a standard lack of oil. Wiping off as much of the old oil and replacing it with fresh oil should get things running again. As with most things, you can tell how well it's working, just by listening to it. When I started using my grandmother's machine, it rattled and shook like a jackhammer. Now it runs smooth and (relatively) quiet!

------
A stitch in time saves a broken needle and having to start over again.

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

Subject: another one bites the dust Date: 12/22/13 4:57 AM

My handcrank gets sluggish in the RV, especially when we go out in early spring before it gets hot.

I have to pull it out of the closet when we first get there and set it by one of the vents to warm it up/dry it out/oil it. It's not electric and there's just oil, not grease. I figure it's like an old woman: cold makes her joints ache until she gets warm.

zanylady
star
zanylady  Friend of PR
Advanced
MD USA
Member since 5/6/09
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Subject: another one bites the dust Date: 12/22/13 5:57 AM

Before you take it in for expensive repairs, open it up and aim a hairdryer at the insides. I often get machines that "won't work" and this often does the trick. The heat softens the gummed up grease so that the machine parts can turn. You may need to do it more than once. Aim the dryer for a few minutes, turn the wheel by hand and aim the dryer again. That way the heat gets to all the parts. You may have to do it from the bottom too

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> "another one bites the dust"

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

New Look 6120

photo
by: Victoria B

Review
Gracie Handbag

Gracie Handbag

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.