SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > Hand Embroidery - anyone here? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Hand Embroidery - anyone here?
KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/22/13 9:39 AM

I have been thinking about hand embroidery for a while. You can see my current obsession in my Pinterest Embroidery board.

I am a visual learner, so I am wondering if anyone has a good app that demonstrates embroidery stitches, or maybe a great sampler suggestion. I am thinking an app would be good because it is visual and I can have it on my phone and/or tablet. A stitch along would be great also.

This Little Robin started my interest. But you can see on my board that I love the detailed embroidery designs of those trees. Also love redwork (although in this case it might be greenwork)

Gilraen Surion

Gilraen Surion
Intermediate
NETHERLANDS
Member since 6/6/04
Send Message

Date: 12/22/13 9:54 AM

There is a fair bit on You tube quick searchshowed up some bits and pieces

HTH
Gilraen

------
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

Date: 12/22/13 10:34 AM

I am hoping for an App for hand stitches. NeedleNThread is a great web site for stitches
-- Edited on 12/22/13 10:35 AM --

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 12/22/13 12:46 PM

Can't help you with an app, but I love hand embroidery. If only I could figure out more ways to utilize it. So far I just put it on kitchen towels as they wear out and I am always needing more of them. Oh and pillow cases. Lots and lots of pillow cases.

------
Ada

bakertoo
star
bakertoo
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 12/26/08
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 12/22/13 1:05 PM

I do hand embroidery too, and Mary Corbetts web site was really helpful for me, being a visual learner. I also used the Reagers Digest Embroidery book.
But I think an ap would be pretty great!

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<

Date: 12/22/13 1:20 PM

Suggestions for where to use hand embroidery: tablecloths and placemats, aprons, blouses and other articles of clothing, pillows, book covers, framed pieces, shoulder covers, laundry bags, and other places. I have a book from the 70s which shows embroidery on lamp shades!

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
MI USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/22/13 2:02 PM

Unfortunately, I have a short list of where to use embroidery also. I am a victim of short attention span so thinking of small projects, like eye glass cases, blocks for children's quilts (I donate those to Project Linus so no one is drowning in small quilts). If I get better, maybe collars. On those I would use the same color thread as the fabric just as an embellishment.

Suggestions of unusual use of embroidery would be welcome here also.

Scheri
star
Scheri  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
AB CANADA
Member since 7/13/10
Send Message

In reply to KathySews <<

Date: 12/22/13 4:40 PM

I have recently found Crazy Quilting which uses many embroidery stitches.

Check out Sharon's website Pintangle for help with stitches. She even has stitchers worksheets for use.

Sharon's Pintangle

------
Scheri Manson
Edmonton, AB CANADA

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/22/13 6:56 PM

I do it, though not as much as I used to. But started about maybe at 10 years old or such. Now, I often even mix it up and even add it into, and combine it into, a lot of machine made embroidery too, as the the two even go together real nice also.

Some of my favorite combined things like that, are sort of 1920's style Arts and Crafts Style or Mission/Stickley/William Morris looking period embroidery, with lots of solid filled in bright color blocks. I do the filled in color blocks more quickly by machine, then just do the thicker black cotton outline or back stitches around those in more real hand done stitches with real hand floss.

Also french knots are one of my favorites to add into some machine done embroidery sometimes, particular if you leave out and skip places in computer aided embroidery like the center of flowers or such and fill in with the french knots instead, it makes it much more tactile and more 3D then too.

Also chain stitch, I like all chain stitches and lazy daisy stitches and all the ones you would wrap the thread around the needle to make a lot, just since you can't get the exact same thing and look on a sewing machine at all, with having to use two threads there instead. You can try to cheat, but it's really not the same at all.

I think over the years I got most of my inspiration for hand embroidering though, from a lot of really old books, many written even way before the 1920's though. Also lots of good reprints of a lot of those books have been made. I think even Dover Publishers may have reprinted a lot of those more current too.

Maybe go over to the internet Archive

https://archive.org/

and search for embroidery over there, and they do have lots of old books on it, with great pictures and instruction in them, and even all the old projects, and have probably have all been scanned into there by now also. You could put some of those on some kind of more hand held device of some kind, and read them there, while out and about if you wanted to.

joanne232
joanne232
Member since 12/1/11
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 12/22/13 9:11 PM

Quote: beauturbo
Also french knots are one of my favorites to add into some machine done embroidery sometimes, particular if you leave out and skip places in computer aided embroidery like the center of flowers or such and fill in with the french knots instead, it makes it much more tactile and more 3D then too.

That's a great idea!
I've been wanting to get into hand and maybe machine embroidery too. I hadn't 't considered combining.
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Hand Embroidery - anyone here?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Simplicity 3678

photo
by: pt6356

Review
Favorite Things Hushabye Baby Pattern

Favorite Things Hushabye Baby Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus Patterns Easy Wrap Dress

Petite Plus Patterns Easy Wrap Dress

Buy Now
Simplicity 4237

photo
by: Renren

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.