SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > Christmas Sewing Fails ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Christmas Sewing Fails
Might as well laugh about it.
Pyrose
star
Pyrose  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 2/12/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 12/23/13 12:21 PM

While sewing fails may not fulfill the inspiring part of this forum's description, I think it's encouraging to know we're not the only ones having trouble with our sewing.

This year's sewing projects failed big time. Just about every year I sew Christmas dresses for my three daughters and with the exception of a couple small issues here and there, it always turns out great. This year I started off with sewing the wrong bodice: I sewed a sleeveless instead of the sleeved version and didn't realize it until after I had understitched the armhole openings (basically completing the bodice). So my assistant cuts out another bodice set. I sew the next bodice up correctly and went to go try it on my daughter and it's too small. Evidently my fabric cutting assistant decided to round down for sizes and cut things too small. So the project was scrapped and we ended up dress shopping for the girls, which isn't a big deal except my oldest is really tall and thin. Yeah, good luck finding any dress that fits properly.

So yeah, I can rant and rave (which trust me, I did) or I can just look at the humor of things. You gotta admit, completely botching up something you do every year is kinda amusing.

At the last minute I added a new Christmas sewing project: a robe for my mom. I'm guessing I'll sew a sleeve to a hem or something.

Feel free to share your holiday sewing disasters. You'll feel better after you laugh. Maybe.

------
Jennifer
pyroses.blogspot.com

ThinkGeek: "E-mail has been around since before computers. At first, e-mails were written on rocks and thrown at neighbors. CC-ing a rock e-mail could be dangerous for an entire village. Then, e-mails were written on paper and put in weird paper things called envelopes and the postal system delivered them. This was slow. Finally, e-mail as we know it came around."

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to Pyrose <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 12/23/13 12:27 PM

I love your signature line. HAHHAHA.....

I don't sew things for presents. That way I don't have these disasters. I keep my sewing disasters for myself. HAHHHAA...oh I love your topic.

Usually i have knitting disasters when pressed for time. And I hardly even knit well, so that isn't easy. But if challenged with a disaster in a craft, my go-to would be knitting. It is too much to ask me to sew a Christmas present. It's like ordering up a disaster.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS and give yourself a A for trying on those dresses. Your girls are lucky to have you. :)

-- Edited on 12/23/13 12:31 PM --

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

SewKrazie
SewKrazie
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 7/7/08
Send Message

In reply to Pyrose <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 12/23/13 12:40 PM

Sounds like you need to fire your assistant!

Pyrose
star
Pyrose  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 2/12/06
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 12/23/13 11:21 PM

Haha, Muffffet, thanks! Happy holidays to you as well!

SewKrazie, that made me laugh.

------
Jennifer
pyroses.blogspot.com

ThinkGeek: "E-mail has been around since before computers. At first, e-mails were written on rocks and thrown at neighbors. CC-ing a rock e-mail could be dangerous for an entire village. Then, e-mails were written on paper and put in weird paper things called envelopes and the postal system delivered them. This was slow. Finally, e-mail as we know it came around."

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Beginner
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

thumbsup 11 members like this.

Date: 12/24/13 0:57 AM

I made my daughter a pair of pants.

Pants that were a really good U shape. So good, that day wound up being sponsored by the letters F and U, and the number 0.

U shapes do not fit anything human. The crotch curve was so unnatural as to be made for an apparently deformed star fish named Patrick.

Although the sewing was fantastic on them.

UrbanFool
UrbanFool  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/19/06
Send Message

Date: 12/24/13 1:14 AM

I have a good one this year. I made my mother a vest. I figured it needed a nice welt pocket on the inside, so I made it up and put the vest together.

Well, my mother's bonus pocket is now hidden as well. I put it in the side back panel instead of the side front!

And it was such a great pocket!

------
Kelly

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to UrbanFool <<

Date: 12/24/13 1:25 AM

A security pocket!

My sewing fail is that it will not all get done.

I work crazy hours 6 days a week. So I decided to sew gifts for 3 family members. And drink too much wine tonight.

I have one project partly sewn up. I should get it done tomorrow. One is in the flat fold stage and will stay that way until after Christmas or I can sew it and not feed any one.

The last one I have not even bought fabric for it yet. Opps, not tiem left, I will purchase a gift between sewing and cooking romorrow. ot even bothing to correct the spelling anymore.

Oh And I vgot laid off today as of January 10th.

hense the wine

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

UrbanFool
UrbanFool  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/19/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/24/13 1:38 AM

I think we need a picture of those U pants. :)

------
Kelly

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Beginner
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/24/13 2:56 AM

LMAO I didn't even keep them. I went on to the top.

Now in all fairness, I don't know if I cut one side at a 2T and the other at a 3T, but man they were sad. And funky. So bad, all I could do was sit there and laugh at them instead of lamenting the loss of my rayon challis.

Mel.J
starstar
Mel.J
Intermediate
Victoria Australia
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 12/24/13 4:24 AM

I made a pair of pants like that once. I eventually worked out that I had sewn them upside down - as in the leg parts were forming the belly space. Toddler pants don't have very long legs... you do just have to laugh and move on, don't you!

------
Mel (Melbourne, Australia)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Christmas Sewing Fails

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 9668

photo
by: prosthetic...

Review
McCall's 5138

photo
by: Acient3

Review
Sewn Square One Swing Shift Pattern

Sewn Square One Swing Shift Pattern

More Info
Sew Liberated Huck Finn Cap

Sew Liberated Huck Finn Cap

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.