SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Is my "new" sewing machine actually new?! HELP! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Is my "new" sewing machine actually new?! HELP!
I just bought my Pfaff Ambition 1.0....
msattern
msattern
Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/22/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/24/13 2:37 AM

Hi everyone,

As many of you know from my previous post, I just bought my FIRST sewing machine today. After many trials, thought, discussion, and trips back and forth to every dealer around me I finally took the plunge of the Pfaff Ambition 1.0.

I bought it just before the store was closing for the day and then had to go home and finish a final exam before I could FINALLY just now OPEN IT!

I was so excited, and I had already got over my initial panic of finally making the purchase (Yes, I did slightly panic, since the dealer really seemed to be pushing me towards the Janome 4120 but the Pfaff was calling my name).

BUT THEN.. I open it (I should mention that the box was kind of beat up looking and I even asked the dealer "it brand new, hasn't been open before right?!") and it looks like it has been opened and maybe even USED before!

The box did not look neatly packed, there was no plastic covering anything like the foot pedal or the power cord and no protective plastic on the machine itself covering the screen or the buttons or anything, which I found odd. There was also already a needle in the machine (but maybe they come like this?)

Also, the cord on the foot control has CLEARLY been unwrapped before and perhaps the most annoying thing is that there are scuffs and scrapes in the hard plastic case of the machine that have black debris in them as well as smudges of the same black stuff visible on the white case.

Now I have heard of some dealers opening their machines and testing them out to make sure they work before a customer buys them, but to my knowledge they did not do this with this machine and it was supposed to be "never opened". I am kind of upset.. if it has been opened, how do I know that it has not been used or returned before?!

Anyway... long story short, I didn't even plug it, but carefully packed it back up in the box. Would I be overly picky to call the dealer tomorrow and complain? Is this normal? I really want to be sure I am getting a 100% brand new machine.....

lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 12/24/13 2:47 AM

I don't think you are being picky at all. You asked if it was new, never opened, and they said yes. They should swap it for a new one, I think. FWIW, I think all of the brand new machines I have purchased came with a needle in them.

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

TeeGee

TeeGee
Intermediate
International CANADA
Member since 11/13/04
Send Message

In reply to msattern <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/24/13 3:40 AM

Quote: msattern
Now I have heard of some dealers opening their machines and testing them out to make sure they work before a customer buys them, but to my knowledge they did not do this with this machine and it was supposed to be "never opened". I am kind of upset.. if it has been opened, how do I know that it has not been used or returned before?!

Anyway... long story short, I didn't even plug it, but carefully packed it back up in the box. Would I be overly picky to call the dealer tomorrow and complain? Is this normal? I really want to be sure I am getting a 100% brand new machine.....

My dealer tested all my brand new machines when I bought them ! I had to pick up my first serger two days later,because the dealer was too busy to test the serger and give me free serger lessons the same day.My sewing machine didn't take long to test.I looked around the store while I waited for my machine to be tested.My embroidery machine was tested in front of me when I bought it too.I had a quick lesson at the same time and another one hour free lesson a few days later.I didn't need any more free lessons.

That said,I agree with you to call your dealer as soon as possible ! I would drive there tomorrow morning,if possible,after I called first.I wouldn't say or ask anything else on the phone,other than ask if the store was open,until what time and if the "boss" was in.

My boxes were not damaged at all ! That's why I would return the sewing machine and ask for a brand new sewing machine before the holidays !

In case the dealer doesn't have any other same model sewing machines in stock,I would either ask for a full refund and wait for a brand new sewing machine,( I know you would like your new sewing machine right away ! ),or ask for a lower price adjustment,if the machine looked used to me.
msattern
msattern
Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/22/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/24/13 4:23 AM

Thank you! Good to know that I am not crazy!

I think that giving them a call first thing in the morning what I am going to have to do. They told me that it was the last machine that they had, they do have other "sister" stores around, but the closest one is about 40-60 minutes from the store I bought it at. With the holiday and everything I think I will have to ask for a full refund and be patient :-(

I was so excited to get sewing......

Queendom

Queendom
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/24/13 5:36 AM

By all means take that machine back! Have him unpack it and show him your concerns. He already knows you haven't had it long enough to have made those scuffs, etc. I'd also have him set it up and test it.

How unfortunate for you with your very first machine.

------
Sandra
Whatever You Can Do, or Dream You Can, Begin it, Boldness has Genious, Power and Magic in it. - Goethe

Puglover52
Puglover52  Friend of PR
Member since 11/23/13
Send Message

Date: 12/24/13 5:41 AM

I'm sorry that happened. I would be upset too and agree you should return it and get a new one. I hope you have time soon to get to one of the other stores. I was impressed with the Pfaff Ambition but the dealer in my area was a turn off to me. First thing w as the strong cigarette smell and then the cats running around and sitting on the machines. He does open and test every machine but not sure he cleans up the cat hair before re-boxing it. If it hadn't been for the dealer, I would have bought that one on the spot!

FatMog
FatMog
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

Date: 12/24/13 6:06 AM

I have 2 Pfaffs and they come immaculately packaged. Yes, the needle is installed but everything else should be pristine, and there should be stuff held under the presser foot, can't remember exactly what, but definitely a quality control label with a number on it, maybe also the small plastic ziploc with the extra feet?

One of my Pfaffs was a discount ex-demo supplied from Pfaff UK and it was repackaged exactly as a new one would be except that the foot control lead had been unwound. But it was similarly pristine!

Take it back, someone's been at it! And TBH even if it was obviously untouched, scrapes and gouges are unacceptable.

Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/24/13 6:57 AM

My sewing machine dealer stitches out and tests each machine before it goes out the door. All are informed of this, and yes a needle is in the machine. I would take machine & packaging back to the dealer today if they are open and "show & tell" them your concerns. I am sorry that you have had such an experience for your first machine.

------
There is no easy way! quote from my Grandfather
Sharing is caring!

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 12/24/13 8:26 AM

Your machine definitely should have been packed in styrofoam and wrapped in plastic if it had not been opened previously. Is the warranty card still in the box with the manual? If the dealer offers a reduction for having been used it should be around 20%. However you should be patient and just wait for a new one. When you go to pick it up the dealer should unpack in front of you and show you how to thread and use basic features. Good luck.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 12/24/13 9:48 AM

Yes...needs to go back. Its not brand new in that condition. I too would ask for a refund unless you feel like making the journey to the sister store to get the new one. I'm so sorry this happened!! I don't think you'll ever know why they tried to pass it off as new or why they didn't at least inspect it given the visible damage to the box. That sister store may wind up being your home store-- sounds as if these folks aren't that easy to deal with given you felt anxious choosing the pfaff over the janome. that shouldn't have been the case at all either. Many people do drive that far to a preferred dealer for reasons such as this. If you used a credit card, this process will be easier. Just don't allow yourself to be convinced that you got a new machine. Keep it simple...machine misrepresented or a mistake was made. you want another or a refund. that's it.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Is my "new" sewing machine actually new?! HELP!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Silhouette Patterns 3200

photo
by: Mobycat

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Double Green Shopping Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Equinox Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Equinox Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.