SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Where to buy machines ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Where to buy machines
Store? Online?
sunnysnowflake
sunnysnowflake
Member since 7/17/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/26/13 7:28 PM

I need to upgrade to a better machine. My Janome DC2007 is just not cutting it with the quilts I am making.
There are so many machines out there!!! I visited a Bernina store over the weekend which was 90 miles away - 1 way and they raved about the machines, their techs and all the free help you ever need. Sounds GREAT but kind of far away from me and they are so expensive!
Also 90 miles away is a Joanns that has Viking machines.
Is it better to purchase from one of these stores or would I be okay ordering online? If ordering online, are there places you all have purchased from that have a good reputation?
My head is literally swimming trying to decide where and what. Too many options!!! :)

ajoseph
ajoseph  Friend of PR
Member since 10/10/12
Send Message

In reply to sunnysnowflake <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/26/13 8:03 PM

i hear you :-) first u need to decide what features u would like in a machine and then which brand of machine u want to go with. most brands do not allow internet purchasing. most won't even quote a price on the phone or in an email. which i find insane. some dealers will bend, but it needs to be on the hush hush. for service, i believe in an independent dealer....a GOOD one.....as opposed to JoAnn. i love my local HV/JoAnn ladies, but knowledge is limited. flexibility with pricing is none. an independent has more flexibility and usually an in house tech. if dealers in your area are sparce, see if if you can find a dealer that sells the most variety of brands, so if u have to travel, you will have a lot to see in one place. most local to me dealers only sell one or 2 brands. one 2.5 hrs away sells every major and some minor brands. that is where i would go first. besides the variety, another reason being, if you don't like the machine u purchased so much, you can go trade it in for another brand. but if your dealer only sells one brand, your stuck. a good dealer with good after the sale service and a good tech is important. you could buy Juki online with no problem. i'm considering the F600 myself, which i need like a hole in the head. good luck.

ediebell
ediebell
Member since 9/30/13
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/26/13 10:29 PM

New, current models of either of these brands can be sold online by authorized dealers.
As for the dealer who raved that their machines are the beat, did you try them? Same with the Vikings at Joann's? No matter what anyone says, at a store, here, a friend, try a machine first to be sure it does what YOU want it to. I wouldn't want to have to ship my machine away for service, and even the Joann's stores that have Viking dealers in them around here do not have service or tech personnel and salespeople may or may not know what's wrong. They have to send machine to the contracted repairperson. Not my type of service.

Brotherlover
star
Brotherlover
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 10/7/07
Send Message

Date: 12/26/13 11:18 PM

It really depends on your budgedt. If you are spending a good chunk of money go with a dealer. If you are getting a simple affordable machine it is not really needed.My dealer is only 16 miles away about a 30minute drive, and I still sometimes find it not very convenient so me personally I would be hesistant for a dealer 90 miles away. I would try and find a more local dealer

------
Brother XL-3500i
SQ-9050
Dreamweaver VM6200D

pamyjo2001

pamyjo2001  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 11/23/06
Send Message

Date: 12/27/13 1:57 AM

I have purchased from both www.sewingmachinesplus.com and www.allbrands.com

sunnysnowflake
sunnysnowflake
Member since 7/17/12
Send Message

Date: 12/27/13 2:41 AM

Would janome bobbins work with a Juki machine? I really like the looks of the f600.

Artsewer
Artsewer  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 3/2/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/27/13 3:30 AM

Many models of machines can not be bought on line. Personally if at all possible I would buy from a dealer. For many reasons.
ONe I like to try out a machine, as it has to have the right feel to it, plus sew perfectly.
I think it is important to hear, fee,l and look at machine in person.
Also for dealer support, and technical support, classes if you need them...
-- Edited on 12/27/13 3:31 AM --

------
Bernina 750Q, 635E, 380, 1630
Serger 1100DC

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/27/13 5:53 AM

Keep visiting dealers and trying them out. Call before to get an apt and make sure they have in stock the machines in your price range that interest you.
When I lived in a rural state, I spent months driving overnight to dealers in 5 states. Take your time. Make sure the dealer will accept shipment to fix problems and return it, if you prefer that to driving. Mine paid return shipping.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

with love Heidi
with love Heidi
Member since 11/26/12
Send Message

Date: 12/27/13 7:32 AM

Did the Bernina dealer have any second hand or floor models, I picked up my machine for half price barely used. I love my 380, it has sewn everything I have thrown at it, 9 layers of flat felled denim with no problems :)

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 12/27/13 10:28 AM

When you buy a machine, you are buying a relationship with the dealer, whether it is a physical b&m (brick & mortar) store or an online vendor. No matter which brand you buy, that dealer support can make or break your experience with a machine.

I prefer a b&m store because that is who will teach me how to use it, diagnose my "user error" questions with a quick phone call. Ask for a complete demo of machines when you visit, and pay attention to how comfortable and knowledgeable the sales person is with the machine. That might give you a clue about dealer knowledge, for those times you need to call for help. Living 90 miles away from either dealer, that phone support might be crucial.

A good b&m dealer will also take care of warranty repairs, have a good selection of feet in stock, and a discount on everything else in the store (except machines-LOL) for customers who bought their machine from them.

I don't want to pack up my good machines and send them somewhere for service/adjustment/repair and risk packing them wrong or UPS/FedEx damaging them, or having to deal with a claim and the blame game. I also don't have space to store all those original boxes! I have a fantastic local Bernina dealer and consider myself very fortunate.

Online will always get you a cheaper price, because the machines are sent from a warehouse and overhead is lower, no tech on site or salespeople, but dealer support may not be there for you, if at all.

Find out if the Viking at JoAnn's has a local technician. If not, find out where does the machine go and average turn-around time (how long it takes to get the machine back) on repairs or service. Do not be shy about asking questions.

I bought my Brother 2340CV coverstitch machine online from Ken'sSewingCenter, but they're 125 miles away and I knew I could arrange to drive down on a day trip if it should have any big repairs needed.

I have a friend who really likes the dealer for her brand machine, and is a 1.5 hour drive away. She always calls ahead and sets up an appointment for service, makes it a day trip, and her machine is ready to go home by late afternoon. Having a long-distance dealer can work if there is a tech on site (really important) and the dealer is supportive of his/her customers.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Where to buy machines

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Simplicity 2367

photo
by: alazor529

Review
Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Buy Now
TAILORED JACKET - A CD Book by Kenneth King

TAILORED JACKET - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.