SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Coconut Oil ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Coconut Oil
the new miracle??????
Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

Date: 12/26/13 10:55 PM

I have been using coconut oil increasingly in my cooking due to allergies & concerns with GMOs. Today I ran into a big warehouse store and notice you can take it in pill form. This made me curious so I picked up the book "Coconut Oil Miracle". It has some interesting food for thought. Does anyone out there use it, know anything, recommend a book or website or any personal use or comments on coconut oil use. Is it as good as what they are saying?

------
There is no easy way! quote from my Grandfather
Sharing is caring!

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Restart06 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/26/13 11:22 PM

I'm curious about the responses you will receive. I cook with walnut oil quite a bit. (Very small amount spread in pan with silicone brush.) Was incorporating coconut oil and slacked off after an interesting experience indicating I need to do more research.

Was fine with the tiny amounts in cooking. I'm a popcorn fanatic and picked up a bag of popcorn at Costco with only coconut oil and light salt. Ate it and the scale went up Odd, I don't normally have a problem with popcorn. Two or three months later, tried again - same results. Another customer and I chatted about this a couple of months later, while looking longingly at the display. She mentioned something that rang some bells....something about high heat altering the coconut oil. Possibly it goes from good to bad when exposed to very high temperatures.

It's on my 'to google' list to find out if high heat has an adverse effect on coconut oil.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

UrbanFool
UrbanFool  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/19/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/26/13 11:24 PM

I use a lot of coconut oil. I'd like to hope it's as good as they say, but then every new fad that comes out is a "miracle" but soon forgotten.

I've never seen it in a pill form though. That'd be kind of weird.

------
Kelly

StitchWench
StitchWench
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/27/13 1:22 AM

i don't cook with it, I moisturise with it. The skin on my face is smoother and brighter looking since I switched to it. Depending on the season I blend it with some olive oil. I have very dry skin and the oil really does help keep it hydrated. (JMO)

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/27/13 6:56 AM

I use pure, virgin, hand-processed coconut oil everyday. Eat it straight from the jar, for cooking, in my hair, as my moisturizer-you name it. Love it! Why bother using the pill imo? It just tastes so darn good straight from the container. In my case, I buy it by the gallon.

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/27/13 7:52 AM

I use coconut oil in almost everything. It is, however, a medium heat oil. It doesn't do well at high temps. I sub it for olive oil, even butter. It makes things taste SO fresh and light! I make my own popcorn with coconut oil, and I use it on my hands. You can make a face wash with brown sugar and coconut oil, but my skin is too oily for that. My cat loves the taste of it, and my parents use it both in their greyhound's food as well as on her skin (she had bald spots on her back and legs from how much time she had spent in a crate.)

I find the weight thing curious, the weight thing. My Mister has gained some weight since we moved in together (his weight has been in flux the last two years) and I am curious if coconut oil has anything to do with it. Maybe I will try switching back to olive oil for some time and see what happens to him.

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 93 yards
Sewn: 59 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Restart06 <<
thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 12/27/13 8:15 AM

Coconut oil was very common in food way back in the early 70's. Dinosaurs have memories, ya know! It was in shortening, potato chips, and even a fake milk (long before creamers). It was taken off the market due it its high LDL content and the ability to create cholesterol problems. Then olive oil became more well known. Coconut oil doesn't break down well in the system, hence its LDL quality.

I wouldn't take this orally but would only use it on my skin and hair.

If you're concerned about GMO's (oh and I wrote a paper about those!!), I suggest you try safflower oil or olive oil. You can also buy an organic flax seed oil.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to ryan's mom <<

Date: 12/27/13 8:39 AM

Saw in our new Cosco Huge jars of it and wondered how you would ever use that up--now I know! I think the Yorkie could use some for dry winter fur too.....

ItzMePenny

ItzMePenny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 12/31/05
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 12/27/13 2:37 PM

Quote: Miss Fairchild
It was taken off the market due it its high LDL content and the ability to create cholesterol problems.

That was partially hydrogenated coconut oil that was bad.

------
PennyZ

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/27/13 3:26 PM

I use unrefined, virgin coconut oil for hair and skin - fairly dry skin (especially in the looooong, cold, dry MN winter) and curly hair is usually drier hair.

So my hair needs oils and the coconut oil is SO light!!!

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Coconut Oil

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Butterick 3523 OOP

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
SewBaby Bath Puppet Pals Pattern

SewBaby Bath Puppet Pals Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.