SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Contest Discussions > 2014 Little White Dress Contest ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
2014 Little White Dress Contest
Running January 16 to February 15, 2014
Jacqui315
star
Jacqui315  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 3/1/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/27/13 5:23 PM

January 16 - February 15, 2014
2014 Little White Dress Contest

Enter the Little White Dress Contest here.

Have a blog? Get your LWD Contest Badge here.

Happy New Year! I'm happy to be managing Patternreview's first contest of 2014. I am here to help guide you through the contest. Every one is need of a great basic dress for the summer so why not make the Little White Dress a summer wardrobe staple.

The contests on PR encourage you to try new ideas and skills. I like to learn from what I see others create, as well. Please post any questions you have on this thread or PM me. And do contact me if you find any discrepancies or need further clarification. I will contact the contest committee and post the answers here. Here is the official description followed by the official rules:

As much as we love Little Black Dresses, let's lighten it up a bit and create a Little WHITE Dress! It's already summer for the Southern Hemisphere and summer will be here in no time in the Northern Hemisphere so this contest should be suitable for everyone who likes white dresses!
So what is a "Little White Dress"? For this contest, a LWD should be considered a classic wardrobe staple that can be worn for multiple years. Generally speaking, the style should be simple and can be dressed up or down with accessories and shoes. You'll be judged on the versatility of the dress!

The rules for this contest:
1. Make a dress that fits the spirit of the description above.
2. The color should be pure white or similar; e.g. white, bone, ecru, light beige, cream, champagne, eggshell, vanilla, ivory, etc. Gray, silver and tan ARE NOT allowed. A tone on tone design is ok but fabric with other colors / prints are not acceptable. If you're not sure, the contest manager and / or contest committee will determine eligibility.
3. A minimum of 3 pictures are required in your review. Entries that do not have at least 3 photos illustrating the following will be disqualified:
i. Dress with no accessories
ii. Dress accessorized for daytime
iii. Dress accessorized for evening
4. Self-drafted or commercial patterns are allowed. Combinations of multiple patterns or self-drafted and commercial patterns are allowed. Downloaded patterns and magazine patterns are allowed.
5. First and second place winners will be selected through a vote open to members of PR. Voters should select the entries they believe best demonstrate the contest guideline of a creating a versatile white dress.
6. All cutting of the fabric and sewing can only be done from January 16th - February 15th at 11:59 EST . You may, however, pre-wash fabric, work on muslins, and cut pattern pieces before January 16th.
7. Voting will begin after a 2-day administrative period to resolve any review issues after the contest closes and will close 7 days after voting starts. Thus, voting for this contest will begin on February 18 and close on February 24 at 11:59 EST.

Prizes!
Sponsored by Sawyer Brook Fabrics (www.sawyerbrook.com)
First prize $100 gift certificate plus 6 month swatch service subscription
Second prize $75 gift certificate plus 6 month swatch service subscription.

-- Edited on 1/8/14 4:57 PM --

Jacqui315
star
Jacqui315  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 3/1/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/27/13 5:25 PM

The Q&A Post

Q: ... is a TNT allowed...?
A: Yes, TNT patterns will be allowed.

Q: ...is a pattern that is still in muslin-state allowed...?
A: Yes, the pattern can be "muslined" any time before the contest. The actual cutting of the final fabric and sewing is what cannot start until January 16, 2014.

Q: ...can we add trims of different colors?
A: No

Q: Can I sew for a child...?
A: No, the LWD contest is for adults.

Q: Can the LWD be full length or does it have to be knee length? Can it have a full skirt or does the dress have to have a pencil skirt or be an A-line dress?
A: The style of the dress is your choice. The challenge of this contest is to make it a style that can last several seasons. In other words, nothing very trendy but more classic as in the "classic LBD."
-- Edited on 1/3/14 2:50 PM --

Bonnie O
starstar
Bonnie O  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 4/28/07
Contest Committee
PR Weekend Coordinator
Send Message

Date: 12/27/13 5:33 PM

Thanks for getting us started, Jacqui!

------
Bonnie
http://tresbonbabble.blogspot.com/

Jacqui315
star
Jacqui315  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 3/1/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/27/13 5:38 PM

I have the perfect fabric in my stash for this contest. It's a white stretch twill with a tone on tone floral damask - like motif. I think Vogue 8828 view D will make a good candidate that can transition from daytime to nighttime. It will also make a great dinner dress to take to Patternreview Weekend in Austin.

aaltje
star
aaltje
Intermediate
NETHERLANDS
Member since 8/22/11
Send Message

Date: 12/27/13 6:45 PM

I'm not sure whether I will attend, it is a great contest, but winter has just started over here, so I am not quite in a summery mood yetI do have a question though. Should the pattern be a new one, or is a TNT allowed as well?

And (I suddenly got an idea!) is a pattern that is still in muslin-state allowed or can I only start with a muslin from now on? I do have a nice dress that I "muslined" last summer but I never actually got to making the dress - this might provide me with an opportunity to get rid of the muslin ;)

Jacqui315
star
Jacqui315  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 3/1/06
Send Message

In reply to aaltje <<

Date: 12/27/13 7:09 PM

If you are fortunate to have found a TNT pattern, then you can use it. I'm saying yes to your second question, too. My reasoning is that since TNT patterns have had their adjustments made prior, then patterns that have been worked on as muslins have had adjustments made prior, too.

sings2high
star
sings2high  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
USA
Member since 11/25/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/27/13 8:52 PM

I've always been fond of white-on-white prints, they show up in just about every quilt I make. My own wedding dress was a mix of regular and floral damask satin. You know, it's going to be a challenge to get photos of these dresses that show detail, and aren't all washed out looking. I never did get a decent pic of my wedding dress. Can anyone offer suggestions on how to take good pictures of all-white dresses?
Oh, and can we add trims of different colors? For instance - black or silver belts, piping or buttons?
Edited: or gold?
-- Edited on 12/27/13 8:54 PM --

------
Measure twice, cut once. While this saying is useful in many ways, I have no qualms about editing my posts.

UFOs completed in 2014: 2
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 6
New Projects started in 2014: 7
Stash:
sewn in 2014: 11.25
bought in 2014: 38.75

jenleeC
star
jenleeC  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Western Australia Australia
Member since 6/4/11
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/27/13 9:26 PM

Thanks for planning some of the competitions with consideration for PR's Southern Hemisphere members. I hadn't been thinking about a white dress but I might have to rethink the sewing plans.

-- Edited on 12/27/13 9:27 PM --

------
Jenny, Perth, WA

carrie18584
starstar
carrie18584  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 4/18/12
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 12/27/13 10:30 PM

I was so excited to see this contest on the list for 2014! I'm getting married this summer and want to make a few white dresses for showers, rehearsals, brunches and the like....this is exactly the motivation I need to get it done ahead of time and avoid stress! I'll be joining you and sewing along, just need to find the right fabric and pattern.... Luckily I'm off to NYC in two weeks and will hopefully have time to visit mood for the first time... :)

mangoflavor
star
mangoflavor
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/10/11
Send Message

Date: 12/28/13 1:07 AM

I love wearing white, during the summer as well as other seasons. My closet is pretty full right now though, so I won't be joining this contest, but I am looking forward to see all the entries!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Contest Discussions >> 2014 Little White Dress Contest

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Class Details

Online Class
Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 8442

photo
by: prttynpnk

Review
PerfectFuse Light White

PerfectFuse Light White

More Info
THE MOULAGE - A CD book by Kenneth King

THE MOULAGE - A CD book by Kenneth King

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.