SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > Tilted waistband? Lower in front?

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Tilted waistband? Lower in front?
Jenniel73
Jenniel73
Advanced Beginner
District of Columbia USA
Member since 10/19/13
Send Message

Date: 12/28/13 12:42 PM

Okay! I am so frustrated! My daughter loves to wear her pants below her belly with a much higher waistband in the back. Fine. I want her to be comfortable and happy. But I am having the hardest time keeping the waistband angled. Maybe when I sew I'm lining up the waist as opposed to the bottom of the pants? Am I cutting the pattern maybe I'm not angling the band enough since paper patterns don't accommodate for that?

Should I fold the paper pattern on an angle for e front pants? When sewing should I stitch from the bottom cuff up keeping the bottom cuffs even?

Thanks in advance!

------
Jennie, Washington DC

Kiawe
star
Kiawe
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/30/12
Send Message

Date: 12/28/13 12:48 PM

I like to wear my pants the same way as your daughter. (Just feels really uncomfortable to have the waistline on or above my tummy.) My approach is not to change the shape of the waistband but to lower it in the front. I've just sliced an inch of the top of my pants patterns at the center front, tapering to nothing at the sides. I'm still working on making sure the waistband stays down when I'm seated instead of riding up over my belly.

Jenniel73
Jenniel73
Advanced Beginner
District of Columbia USA
Member since 10/19/13
Send Message

In reply to Kiawe <<

Date: 12/28/13 1:14 PM

Okay so take off the amount I need at cf then taper? Most of her pants are elastic with separate casing. Do I need to do anything to the waistband itself?

------
Jennie, Washington DC

purplebouquet
star
purplebouquet
Advanced
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/05
Send Message

Date: 12/28/13 1:58 PM

I work with Pattern Master Boutique and always draft my pants with a dropped waistband in the front. This works well on tailored pants, not so much with elasticized waistbands, so don't drop the front too much in that case.
I drop the front center seam of the pant panels and the side seams half of what I drop in the front. So, if the center front is 2 inches lower than the center back, I lower the side seams 1 inch each on both back and front panels and then angle/curve the top seam line accordingly. I end up with two gentle downward slopes to the front as viewed from the center back.
Depending on how large the difference is, it might take a combination of altering the pant panels and the waistband itself, so the waistband is a little lower in the front than in the back. Unless you're wearing with stripes, the lack of equal width all around might not be very noticeably.
If the rise in the front is very short, you have to be careful that you don't lower it much more or the zipper opening will be too short.

Claudia

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 12/28/13 2:40 PM

Just taper from the side seams to the front seam. No adjustment to the waist band should be need.

The same alteration can be done when the front rise is too long and baggy on the wearer who likes the waistband at the waist.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Elaine Dougan
star
Elaine Dougan  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 1/24/07
Send Message

Date: 12/28/13 3:14 PM

It is very difficult to turn a curved waistband if it all one piece with the pants. As long as the waistband is sewn on separately, there should be no problem with a dropped front waistline.

------
Elaine

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to Jenniel73 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/28/13 4:06 PM

I have a low front waist so I need a good amount of tilt as well and I also like it to fall below my waist. the front crotch is too long. Don't take off the top because that will make the waist too big. Slice across the front above the curve all the way to the side seam, you need to cut in from the outside as well, just to but not through the seam. Leave a small bit. Then overlap the top of the cut the amount lower you need the front crotch to be. Blend the seamline so that it is straight. I would put on pair of pants that you've made and pin out the a wedge until the waist is where you want it to be. Measure the fold and double it. That's the amount you have to remove from the length. It took me quite awhile until I understood this.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 12/28/13 4:08 PM

I disagree. If you cut the front waist down it will make it longer. A diagonal is longer than a straight line.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to Nancy K <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/28/13 5:21 PM

Then she could just make a larger dart, if one is involved. This is for her daughter and the O.P. didn't mention her age.

When I need to make the cf shorter I just trim off at the waist, then taper to the side seams as PattiAnn J mentioned, but I don't do a great amount. The pants aren't being moved or re-positioned, just the excess (for the person) is being removed.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

Kiawe
star
Kiawe
Advanced Beginner
Member since 9/30/12
Send Message

In reply to Nancy K <<

Date: 12/28/13 5:59 PM

But wouldn't one want it longer? I mean the waist measurement straight across (where we don't want the pants to sit) is smaller than the measurement with the dropped waist. If I don't make the waist longer, it's just going to try to ride up to where it would it fit.

I'm confused now.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> Tilted waistband? Lower in front?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

StyleArc Jenny Shirt

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
McCall's 5963

photo
by: ChrisS

Review
You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern

You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Boyfriend Jacket and Shell

Christine Jonson Boyfriend Jacket and Shell

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.