SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sew Alongs > Activewear Sew Along ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Activewear Sew Along
Please join in
treefrog
starstarstarstar
treefrog  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/30/13 4:54 PM

G'day, would you like to join me in an active wear sew along?

With the new year approaching, I'm looking to replace some of my
exercise gear that is starting to look a bit worse for wear. Top of my list are exercise pants ( crop tights, bike nix & yoga pants)

So, if you need something new for the gym, yoga, cycling, pounding the pavement, hiking, skiiing, kayaking, dip in the pool, playing footy with the kids, taking the dog for a walk .....
.... please join in.

------
It's the journey, not the destination that counts

persevering
persevering
Member since 8/18/08
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/30/13 5:13 PM

Can my getting back to sewing by attempting to finish the UFO bathing suit, I started a few years ago, count as activewear?

Austragirl
star
Austragirl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
South Australia Australia
Member since 12/11/05
online now
Send Message

In reply to persevering <<

Date: 12/30/13 6:51 PM

Thanks Treefrog for starting this. My gym gear with long pants is too long to wear to my local gym which has an air conditioner that struggles on hot days. So I need to make some short cool tops and pants to remove that excuse to not go!

persevering - swimwear sounds absolutely fine to me.

My plan is to make Sport Vest Sewing Pattern #4273 and a short version of So Sew Easy's Custom Fit Leggings.

I am hoping to get some guidance on sourcing suitable fabric as I haven't done that yet - very hard to find anything in the main Australian fabric chain stores. QuiltSewSewSue is doing some hunting around at the moment so I hope to be the beneficiary of her investigations.

The custom leg pattern has a nice little spreadsheet that allows you to specify what level of negative ease you want in your leggings - she suggests using somewhere between 90-100%. I havent made up my mind until I find my fabric, but I am thinking that as a bigger girl I should stick to the higher end of the range. Be keen to hear any input on that.

------
Austragirl (Adelaide, South Australia)

QuiltSewSewSue
starstarstar
QuiltSewSewSue
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

Date: 12/30/13 7:14 PM

I'm in. I want to make a couple of tops from fehrtrade's pattern xyt top and then maybe some pants too, probably using an OOP Jalie pattern (Jalie 2445) and maybe another Jalie skort.

------
Sue (Toowoomba Qld)
Love to sew....

http://quiltsewsewsue.blogspot.com/

Nancy1955
star
Nancy1955  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 5/10/10
Send Message

Date: 12/30/13 7:32 PM

I would love to do this. I need so many workout items. I need to work primarily with stash and existing patterns. I'll take a look at my stash and see what I can come up with.

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/30/13 7:46 PM

I'm in. I am nearing the completion of a test pair of running tights for DH using a Green Pepper pattern- just need to insert the elastic waistband tonight and hem it up. I perfected my basic TNT one seam tights using a Style Arc pattern and received their latest work out patterns the other week.

I want to look stylish as I run my first half-marathon with DH in May (I promised him I'd do a half with him just to do it, I don't have any interest to run a full one... I hate running!!!!)

Getting a custom dress form made in May is also becoming a great incentive to look as best as I can because I'll have to be staring at the real ME for a long time to come.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

annakeeton
star
annakeeton  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 1/4/09
Send Message

Date: 12/30/13 9:13 PM

Great idea! I'll join though am not yet sure what I'll sew.

treefrog
starstarstarstar
treefrog  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/13/08
Send Message

Date: 12/30/13 9:43 PM

Great to have you all join in.

Persevering - Swimwear definitely counts! Which pattern have you been using?

Austragirl - The leggings tutorial looks great. Thanks for the link. I've just downloaded it and will give it a try.

I tend to go more for cotton/lycra in the summer as I find anything synthetic too hot. Have you had a look at Stretchtex. They make a wide range of techy sport fabrics. From memory, they do small cuts for a couple of dollars extra.

Sue - I'm keen to hear how you go with the XYT

Nancy - Glad to have you joining in. I'm also working through stash fabrics and patterns ( with a few mods).

minggiddylooloo - would love to hear how you go with the new SA patterns. I was really tempted. Good luck with the half-marathon.

-------

I currently have KS3899 spread out on the table and trying to alter it to look something like these Lululemon crop pants

------
It's the journey, not the destination that counts

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

Date: 12/30/13 10:04 PM

I'll be able to get started with you in about three weeks. Have no idea what I will start with. Have patterns, fabric and elastic. Need to get lightweight separating zippers.

This will be fun. Everyone will think I've won the lottery if I show up in new workout gear.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

julie w
star
julie w
Intermediate
Western Australia Australia
Member since 12/25/06
Send Message

Date: 12/30/13 10:23 PM

I would love to sew along however need to come up with an exercise plan that fits in first! I sure need it
I am in the process of making the Fehr Trade XYT top at the moment to use as a bather top. As a preliminary observation the top is a snug fit which is great for bathers but I personally would go up a size for normal wear. I bought the pattern to see what the compression bra was like, as it turns out it is a shelf bra drafted on a smaller scale to the top and uses powermesh cut as two layers on opposite grains. The excellent instructions suggest going up a size for cup sizes over a B for the bra lining. I have tried this but although comfortable I found that it pulled the top layer at the armhole and neck. I think I need more width and height at the armhole edge of the bra lining so am going to experiment next with a proper FBA and cutting two sizes larger. (For the top I cut a medium at the bust grading to a large at the hips, and a large bra lining).
I've also had success using Cake Patterns leggings that you semi draft to measurements.
HTH.
Agreed finding suitable, nice fabrics is the hard part.

------
Julie, Perth, WA

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> Activewear Sew Along

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Sewing Workshop eShrug

photo
by: pegsewer

Review
Favorite Things Hope Skirts Pattern

Favorite Things Hope Skirts Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.