SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > An unusual set-back

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
An unusual set-back
....not enough fabric.....
Handshake
star
Handshake
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/19/13
Send Message

Date: 12/31/13 12:16 PM

Has anyone else ever done this? It is possible, considering how many people there are here..........

I bought half a metre (even though UK is not metric per se, we have to buy fabric by the metre ) to make a thing over Christmas.

I didn't feel like it, but liked the fabric. Today I bought another metre of the same, which I (stupidly stupidly!) thought would be ample to cut out a new blouse pattern I've bought - and was looking forward to sewing over New Year.

Therefore I have a one-metre piece and a half-metre piece. There is not enough fabric.

I've tried positioning the most vital pattern parts every which way, but there simply is not enough for the princess-seamed blouse with collar. My only options seem to be:

(a) Cut the side back and side fronts out of a different fabric: I have another half-metre of something else. But I don't think I want a patchwork-looking blouse.

(b) Abandon until the shop opens again in two days' time and buy another half metre.

(c) Cut out what I can for the moment, start sewing, beginning with tricky-looking collar which is the detail which attracted me to this pattern anyway! and buy that extra half metre on Thursday (?) to cut side front and backs.

(d) Decide that the Goddess of Sewing doesn't mean for me to make this blouse with this fabric and do something else.

Note that this is the exact opposite of my usual fabric/pattern cutting scenario. I have always ended up with too much fabric before today. Over-confidence will get you in the end!

-- Edited on 12/31/13 12:17 PM --

Elaine Dougan
star
Elaine Dougan  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 1/24/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/31/13 12:27 PM

I vote for option (c). I usually have too much fabric as well and am stuck with all kinds of bits and pieces. Make sure you carefully measure for how much more you have to buy.

-- Edited on 12/31/13 12:28 PM --

------
Elaine

kathi s

kathi s
Beginner
California USA
Member since 1/23/03
Send Message

Date: 12/31/13 12:28 PM

Can you cut the collar from a different fabric? I assume that you have already tried cross grain and length wise already. How about reducing the seam allowances? Good luck- if all else fails, use the fabric to make a childs dress and donate it! A worthy use for your fabric rather than let it languish in your stash.

Guelphgurl
star
Guelphgurl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 2/28/13
Send Message

Date: 12/31/13 1:00 PM

I vote for (c) as well!

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

In reply to Guelphgurl <<

Date: 12/31/13 1:09 PM

me too for option c

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

Date: 12/31/13 1:38 PM

Another vote for option c! It might take you that long to cut/sew/muslin/work it all out before the shop opens again anyway, eh?

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!! I'm subtracting fabric given away from my yardage in. Yeah!
In: 93 yards
Sewn: 69 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

Handshake
star
Handshake
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/19/13
Send Message

Date: 12/31/13 1:52 PM

Hi and thank you all for your responses. In the end I packed it all away and got on with something else, it was too (dare I say it?) stressful.

I tried positioning all the main parts across and athwart the fabric, ignoring the usual 'cut on grain line'. But this had to include the front facing because of the tricky-looking collar. This front facing is very long: one of the main problems with insufficient fabric.

Meh. I'll start again in a couple of days when the shops re-open. But looking on the bright side, there are always things to be done, and I got some of them done instead of cutting my new blouse pattern.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to Handshake <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/31/13 2:18 PM

Or e.. be thankful for the new cleaning rags.. but you know.. being a pig we use a lot of cleaning rags in our house.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 12/31/13 2:24 PM

C, if you are sure you can get more fabric from the same bolt of fabric.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

annem54
star
annem54  Friend of PR
Beginner
United Kingdom
Member since 7/10/12
Send Message

In reply to Handshake <<

Date: 1/1/14 5:19 AM

B - in case you can't get more of same fabric.Good luck and Happy New Year.

------
My blog: http://sewanneuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> An unusual set-back

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

Online Class
Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 11-2012-131

photo
by: annie11

Review
Vogue Patterns 8701

photo
by: sarahark

Review
The Whimsy Bag

The Whimsy Bag

More Info
Maggie

Maggie

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.