SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Please help me avoid a wadder ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Please help me avoid a wadder
Problems with stretch and wrinkling
annem54
star
annem54  Friend of PR
Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/10/12
Send Message

Date: 1/2/14 8:58 AM

I have posted a review of the skirt I made with this fabric and have mentioned my problems. This is a mystery fabric which frays very readily and stretches. When I finished my skirt, I pressed it - perhaps made a big error here. The skirt, which had been just a little crushed now looked really bad and it was clear that considerable stretching had occurred. My class tutor suggested steaming and patting but this has not helped.
I don't plan to wear the skirt now as it is too big due to my weight loss - but I did want to put it forward for judging in my sewing class.
Can anyone advise what I might to do rescue this skirt?
Is it rescuable for my class judging or should I do something else?

View of wrinkles in skirt before attempt to wear for review photo and view of fabric drape and fraying

click here'/>
click here

Thank you, in hope
-- Edited on 1/2/14 9:00 AM --

------
My blog: http://sewanneuk.blogspot.co.uk/

UrbanFool
UrbanFool  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 10/19/06
Send Message

Date: 1/2/14 11:43 AM

Does that have fusible interfacing under it or is it just the fabric that's wrinkling like that?

------
Kelly

Quickie
star
Quickie
NETHERLANDS
Member since 10/8/10
Send Message

Date: 1/2/14 12:46 PM

There are fabrics that shrink when they are treated in to high temperature
There are fabrics that grow big .EG. Acryl is notorious for that. I think that it is wise to do little trials with washing and ironing in advance

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to annem54 <<

Date: 1/2/14 2:30 PM

I think rescue-able, unless that area on the front of the skirt looks like that, because of fabric actually being melted and changed that way, instead with heat of iron. If that is so, then it's probably more "molded into there" or " molded out of there" forever instead.

I would try to get the fabric to relax back into it's normal state, which would not be like that, unless some heat actually melted it probably. And just see what happens then.

To do that, since no one knows what it's made of but your sewing teacher thought it might be wool and silk, I think actually now, it might have had some spandex or lycra in it too, that might explain the big stetchy-ness factor. If so and the heat actually changed that, right in that place, and that no longer has the stretch there, and that loosened up and lost it's shape right there, (bad made fabric or good made fabric, I would not worry about that as that's water under the bridge now) and forever changed, then you might be stuck with that on the front of it.

The iron as used only made things worse, so I would avoid that anymore right now. Maybe 1st try if not worried about your bathroom wall paper, running the shower hot, with no fan on, letting the steam fill the room with the skirt hanging in the bathroom and see if that can somehow, "relax" that place out of your fabric that way. If that does not work, (and could even make things worse, I don't know) you have not yet tried actually wetting and soaking in water, the whole skirt and letting it dry in hopes to recover on the fabric. That might do it, or might not. But as a very last ditch choice I would try that. As you probably got nothing to loose by doing that either. If you really feel you would not wear as is. I do think a hip length sweater would cover that though. Since you sewed it, you probably have some fabric scraps even left over, you could do that with first just to even see what happens to those when in the sink with lukewarm water and swished around a bit. And then set to dry. If you do that though, I think you should not wring that skirt out (in case loosing the lycra stretch there even more if there is any) but instead press it between towels to get all the water out of it. Before letting it air dry flat.

Your skirt on the front of it there, actually looks like some black knit cotton/lycra yoga pants I'm wearing right now. On my pants, they are many years old, and have been though the washing machine and dryer, probably 50/60 times or more. About on time #40-50 there, all the lycra actually suddenly failed in two large places on both sides of the hips on my pants. As in failed, I mean totally lost lycra induced stretch in those areas. The cotton part of them remains much the same though. Of course that relaxing of the lycra on my pants there, makes them baggy, wrinkled and stretched out right there. That is never going to change, but it's O.K. with me, as I knew that washing black cotton/lycra yoga pants in the warm washing machine and tossing them hot dryer repeatedly would make them last not as long as painstakenly not ever putting them in the hot clothes dryer instead. I choose convenience there, over extra years wear looking good or such though. So now they are house and garden pants not going out in them kind of pants.

But if it seems you lost your stretch now in those places on the front of that skirt, maybe they are the same as my yoga pants lycra failure there.

You could also try the dry cleaners and see what they think, I actually very rarely dry clean anything, so don't know much about that. I don't know what to tell you actually as sometimes anything you try, can just make something worse too, as that is always a possibility, particular if you don't wash your fabric first, as then you don't know how it might react to actual water later either though.
-- Edited on 1/2/14 2:50 PM --

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 1/2/14 2:35 PM

Can it be lined, or is it worth it? If the fabric was inexpensive to begin with, I would salvage the zip and toss the rest of it. Life is too short to worry about a bit of fabric.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 1/2/14 3:08 PM

I think leather or fake leather applique looks nice on a winter wool skirt. If you can't get that place out of it, you could always put one of those just over it, then maybe it does not matter at all either? Even if you want to wear a shirt tucked in. It might look kind of very sharp looking with a big and long black or taupe color real or fake leather applique over it there, shaped in kind of a large zig zaggy and geometric lighting bolt shape or something like that on the front panel of the skirt too.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/2/14 8:12 PM

Here's my idea. Make a panel to cover the front of the skirt. Sewing Workshop has a pattern called the Eleven Eleven skirt and I think you could replicate it. click here A piece of lace, silk or batiste might work.
-- Edited on 1/2/14 8:13 PM --

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

annem54
star
annem54  Friend of PR
Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/10/12
Send Message

In reply to UrbanFool <<

Date: 1/3/14 3:42 AM

It's the fabric - no interfacing at that point.

------

annem54
star
annem54  Friend of PR
Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/10/12
Send Message

In reply to Quickie <<

Date: 1/3/14 3:45 AM

I washed in advance and did basic fabric smoothing but didn't think to pores or use stream. Another lesson learned!

------

annem54
star
annem54  Friend of PR
Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/10/12
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 1/3/14 4:00 AM

Thank you for your reply. The fabric doesn't appear to have Lycra in it - by that I mean that t there is no stretch in the dry fabric. I did prewash though I didn't press - lesson learned! I have washed cold now and next step is wash warm. I couldn't wear this as is, I'm afraid, even with a jumper sorry sweater. New Year's resolutions (one of many sewing resolutions!) is to be sure of fibre content of fabric. I'm going to catalogue my stash, most of which is mystery now apart from muslin/calico bought to use as muslins, some cotton chambray, a couple of other cottons and some crepe - I'm not now sure whether my 'wool' checks and tartans are pure wool.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Please help me avoid a wadder

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Vogue Patterns 8661

photo
by: lamstu

Review
McCall's 9454

photo
by: Sew Passio...

Review
Bluegingerdoll Stella Blouse

Bluegingerdoll Stella Blouse

Buy Now
J Stern Designs The Tee Pattern

J Stern Designs The Tee Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.