SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Do you name your machines? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Do you name your machines?
Pet names? Descriptive? After your mother-in-law?
Addierecoy
Addierecoy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 5/30/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/3/14 10:17 PM

Another thread got me wondering if everybody else names their machines, and what kind of names you give them.

Our Miss Fairchild mentioned she needed to change the name of her machine from "The Monster" which sounded like a perfectly appropriate name for an industrial serger to me. LOL

My sewing room is populated by machines that sound like a professional wrestling card..

Crinkle finish Singer 99-Godzilla (of course)
Brother Dreamweaver - Fat Man (named when I had a smaller machine that was Little Boy, after the first atomic bombs)
BL Evolution- The Mangler
Brother 6 needle Embroidery machine- Punisher (because it looks like the Punisher skull to me)

Does everybody else give their machines nice names? Like Petunia or Sara Jane or Sweet Pea?

So, do you name your machines? And if so, why?

Al Johnson
star
Al Johnson
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/17/07
Send Message

Date: 1/3/14 10:49 PM

Only one name among my machines. Plastic Fantastic Junque. That's my '80s Singer that sits forlorn and lonesome in the bottom of the closet and never moves.

------
A sewing machine is just a welder for textiles.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Addierecoy <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 1/3/14 11:20 PM

I suspect my sig answers that question.

If not, I'm sure Panzy, Kee, Victor, Rupert, Baby, Georgia, Sterling Blue, Bunny, Smudge, Tristan etc will oblige.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 15 members like this.

Date: 1/4/14 0:12 AM

Oops forgot to answer the "if so, why?" question.

1. Mass chaos would arise if one were to yell "Hey YOU!!! Stop doing that right now!!!"

Since they're all likely doing something you don't want them to do, you might think a general "Hey YOU!" would suffice to stop all undesireable behaviour across the board.

You'd be wrong.

Not using a specific name means each machine thinks the other is the one being singled out, thus all machines will just totally ignore you and carry on with their various undesireable behaviour.

2. Helps avoid giving the wrong gifts to the wrong machines.

Even though that Singer Featherweight rare vintage 2-thread embroidery attachment will not ever fit and work on your Pfaff, good luck taking it away without tears and temper tantrums. Avoid the nightmare of cramped 7mm feet stuffed onto a 9mm machine...name your machines and gift-giving becomes easy. Especially important since machine gift-giving is a highly recurring activity.

3. Did the Waltons simply say "goodnight everybody"? No, they didn't.

4. Everybody deserves a proper name. YOU have a name. Your partner/kids/friends/furbabies/cars, boats et al all have names. Sewing machines have feelings, too, and deserve a name of their own.

5. Bonding. Kinda tough bonding with a "SBM" or a "SWF" or a "B560". Bonding with "Joe" or "Tracy" or "Jake Juki" is much easier.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

heathergwo
heathergwo
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

thumbsup 9 members like this.

Date: 1/4/14 0:48 AM

Nope. It's just not "me" to name my machines. But I like hearing other's names.

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 12/2/08
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 1/4/14 0:59 AM

My machines aren't named (two sewing machines and two sergers), but my dress form is. She's Dumb Debbie because she is, technically a dummy, and also she doesn't speak. I personally don't know any Debbies so no offense to any Debbies reading this!

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

LisaInAlabama
star
LisaInAlabama  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 7/10/13
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 1/4/14 1:12 AM

None of my machines had names until the lemon of my life showed up. He was given a name I cannot say in polite company. After that, I tremulously bought a 6-needle embroidery machine that did not disappoint me. She looks like a giant grasshopper's head, but an online friend had already named hers Grasshopper. So mine became Nessie after the Loch Ness Monster (if you squint, she looks like Nessie's photos).

Then my next lemon became That Piece of Junk. (or worse words depending on how rushed I am and how badly it is behaving)

A tech once called my husband and worriedly asked why I had 'Please steal this machine' come up on my start-up screen. Hubby just replied, 'Long story.'

------
Beginner, maybe Advanced Beginner
I've been doing machine embroidery for 10 years, but I'm always a beginner because I'm always trying to things I don't yet know how to do!

UFOs completed in 2014: 5
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 23

PurpleTurtle
PurpleTurtle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 1/26/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/4/14 1:53 AM

No, but I've always named my cars.

------
Joanie
Make it sew. Jean-Luc Picard
Wag More, Bark Less. Iditarod sleddog
Go Dallas Stars

NancyAnn2
NancyAnn2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 1/31/10
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 1/4/14 2:49 AM

We restored two ancient Singer treadles, and to distinguish them I called one Jensine and the other Gladys, after my grandmother and my mother. But it somehow seemed disrespectful, so now call them The 1915 and The 1935. We only ever named one car, a VW Bus. But more to the point, how do we discover the gender of these machines? One day, two thuggish looking youngsters approached DH and said "Hey Mister - is a boy or a girl??" He said, a Boy, of course. They were satisfied and didn't beat him up. But with a sewing machine, you cannot tell. I wouldn't have a male in my sewing room, if I could help it, for fear of unruly behaviour. Touch and Sew and Stretch and Jeans (yes) don't tell us much. But, I keep them separate, anyway. I think the Pfaff is a boy, as it is strong, quiet and does what you tell it to do. The Singer is all over the place. The older ladies don't do a lot anymore.

------
NancyAnn2

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 1/4/14 3:56 AM

Reasons: What LynnRowe says. Plus I picked it up from PR. It helps me bond but I must say it makes it harder to part with them. But thinking back, I don't name them until I decide they are keepers - those up for sale or family give aways remain nameless: Sophia2, BL-9, Janome 350e and Bernina 430.

Now for names:
Evolution serger- Evvie
Enlighten serger- Missy
Ellisimo- ElliMo, The Princess
Ellisimo G2- GoldieMae, The Emperess
Pfaff 6152- Sgt Pfaff
Singer 301- MaryAnn (boarding w/ my daughter)

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Do you name your machines?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

SewBaby Easy to Sew Baby Layette Pattern

SewBaby Easy to Sew Baby Layette Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Prairie Girl Pattern

Favorite Things Prairie Girl Pattern

Buy Now
Tessuti Fave top

photo
by: rivergum

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.