SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Brother scan n cut update ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Brother scan n cut update
First try impressions
aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/4/14 4:19 AM

I got my scan n cut before Xmas but haven't been able to do more than set it up till now. I gave it a first try today and thought I would give some first impressions in case anyone is interested.

I got it because I've always been a crappy cutter except the basic strips, I don't exactly get why but I'm always a bit off measurement. I do have an accuquilt as well. I'm also not the most precise or fussy quilter around if there was a quilt police I would be a repeat offender.

So that said I've been looking for something a bit portable and I thought why not English paper piecing. This is something you can take anywhere and a good project for scan and cut. I chose the octagon shape and used the same weight paper that is in the precut shapes you buy, a bit thinner than a Manila folder - a light weight card stock I guess. Nothing special quality wise I had a pack of it for work. I used the pressure settings in the manual which was 4 and set the size. I did 5 inch but you can do any size. I got 2 to an a4 sheet which is similar to 8x11. I used the low tack sheet and blue blade.

Then chose the same shape same size but added seam allowance. I changed the mat to standard with the high tack sheet and used a average quality quilters muslin I got at spotlight (similar to Joann's) on sale. I changed the blade setting to 3 but I forgot to change cut pressure.

Pros
1. It definitely does the job accurately and painlessly.
2. If you get the paper cheap enough and do a lot of this the brother has all popular shapes including clamshells on board. It's not expensive although obviously you wouldn't buy the machine just for this.
3 you are not cutting by eye and by setting seam allowance you minimize fabric wastage.
4. The convenience of it I decide at 3pm Sat I want to paper piece and it's nothing to get started. Yes you can draw and hand cut but it really is easy.
5. I might increase seam allowance a bit to cover fraying when you lift shapes (see cons) but resulting pieces I measured were uniform and to size. Definitely better than if I had cut and heaps easier and quicker

Cons

1. If you are so used to pet hair that you are oblivious to it pause now before you remove the covering from the sticky sheets & don't throw the cover sheets away. It seems like any cat hair in the vicinity went straight to the sheet.
2. Laying the high tack sheet on the standard mat perfectly aligned and with no bubbles - NOT as easy as it looks, I lined it up at one end and sort of rolled it down . I spent a fair bit of time smoothing out because pulling it off according to manual reduces stickiness. This did not give me a good start I was a bit annoyed by the time I got it smoothed on.
3. Even though I used the cutting setting in the manual for the paper I still got some impression on the cutting mat, similar to the impressions you get on cutting mats of the accuquilt but not as deep. I am not sure that's normal or not but adjusted blade down a little bit.
4. I used an average to lower quality quilters muslin not crap but not top rate. The fabric cut through completely no issue. BUT when I went to remove the fabric from the sheet I had a bit of fraying and threads left on the mat and some lint. This was I think the biggest downside. I will say I forgot to increase the cut pressure as per manual when I switched to fabric, but once I pulled all the shapes off the mat it was clear these mats are not going to last long if they have to stay very tacky. Based on the amount of lint and how well the fabric held I would question whether you need the high tack mat for standard quilting fabric because my formerly pristine mat was looking a little sad.
5.DONT be tempted to peel the fabric off with your fingers because I can see on some fabrics you would stretch it. Use the little spatula they give you to lift the edges, it really does make a difference.

Overall I'm pretty happy so far I emphasized the things that make that out of the box experience less than ideal and I think the cost of the mats and how well they clean up is a key thing to consider. This is a cheaper alternative to accuquilt and a much more versatile machine when you start with scanning. I am going to try that next with some magazine pattern sheets and something drawn. I'll post how I go

Sorry such a long post.

ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

Date: 1/4/14 6:44 AM

Quick question for you. One of my coworkers has been trying to get this machine to work well in our store and hasn't had much success. A few machines have also been returned. The problem? The Scan and Cut doesn't seem to cut that well. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, it really is spotty with quality, sharp cutting.

Do you apply anything to your fabric before putting it in the machine? Are you doing anything special? I'd love to hear any tips and tricks so we can advise our customers better. There is nothing better than customer experience, imo, and your help would be greatly appreciated!

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

Date: 1/4/14 8:09 AM

I did starch and iron but beyond that I didn't do anything special. Both items paper and fabric cut clean. The manual does say take the blade all the way one way then back the other before setting. I didn't do that first and couldn't see why it didn't cut. I assumed the blade was spring loaded but it's not. You need to physically see the blade. It doesn't need a lot a 3 only has a tiny bit visible but it does the job. I did use the hi tack sheet which gave it a strong hold - I'm not sure how much that matters but that is the set up in the manual. I am guessing the fabric shouldn't shift at all or the cut won't be clean, but couldn't see how the mats for fabric could hold up over time with lint and stray thread.

I'll be cutting better quality quilting fabric and see what difference that makes. I'll give the alphabet a whirl and let you know

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 1/4/14 10:00 AM

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this!

I got a Scan n Cut for Christmas but haven't used it yet, and I did decide that making more hexies for my EPP project would be my first test.

I am such an air head lately from meds side effects, it NEVER occurred to me I could use the cutter for the papers too! HAHAHAHA! DUH!

I will starch and press also. I got some extra mats and fabric backing stuff, but I am not sure I need the backer stuff yet, I need to re-read the manual. When I read it the first time the info didn't all stick in my head because I have to DO to remember.

Please keep giving feedback! Hopefully we can help each other get the best results!

------
Cathryn

aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

Date: 1/4/14 7:55 PM

Today I tried couple more things

1. Alphabet with the fusible on the back on standard mat. 1 inch
2. Direct cut scan from coloring book an outline Winnie the poo shape with fusible
3 scan data of simple dragon fly cut with fusible
4. Octagons with better fabric

Unsurprisingly - better fabric gets a cleaner result, less fraying, less lint, clean pick up using spatula.

I tried lettering without fusible first - it will cut it but you get some fraying when you lift, I wouldn't cut letters without fusible anyway but it was a -duh moment. Still if for some reason you had to do it forget script at one inch but block letters over 1 inch seem doable just be careful when you lift

I did the fusible - I used the fusible I had on hand and not the brother, because it's just more realistic to use what you have and what you can get on sale. I used a floriani product it was a bit thicker than brother.

I got a good result with all the shapes, this is also cleaner as no fabric gets on the mat. I adjusted blade a touch for thicker fusible. Letters also were good. The fabric needs to be well ironed on to the fusible and the fusible adhering to the mat. Whenever that doesn't happen the cut is not as clean.

The coloring book outline was really easy and accurate as was the dragonfly off pattern sheet I scanned and saved. I scanned a second winne that had a bit more detail with his shirt. It scanned all of it but didn't pick up the shirt as a whole object -I think I need to read manual a bit more to get best out of it.

I think I would do more appliqué with this. Like everything you need to put a bit of effort into learning it to get the best out of it but I can see I will use this a lot. I will always keep a spare mat and high tack sheet on hand though.

aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

Date: 1/4/14 8:04 PM

Cat - I can relate with meds I find my concentration just not what it was 3 months ago ( I had heart trouble & thyroid cancer) but I'm told temp till everything settles still those duh moments keep coming

lellytots
lellytots
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/14/13
Send Message

Date: 1/26/14 7:49 PM

I got a Scan n Cut for Christmas but have only now been able to play with it a bit as I had eye surgery just before Christmas. So far I have only tested it on card stock as I wanted to make sure its working ok and I know how to use it before I start to use it for fabric cutting.

What I have found though is that it isnt cutting through the card stock completely and when it does the whole picture has jagged edges around everything. I have also found that it puts a few minor squiggly cuts in odd spots in the middle of the items. Im not sure if I am doing something wrong or if the machine is faulty. Does anyone have any ideas.

sewingGB
sewingGB
Intermediate
Wisconsin USA
Member since 6/10/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/26/14 9:07 PM

I have been so intrigued by this machine but not purchasing yet. Actually it was on cable this morning as a buy on tv item.
Great insights but think I will wait for the next version:)

------
Bernina Activa 240, and the newest family member Bernina 640E

speattle
speattle
Expert/Couture
Member since 2/10/11
Send Message

Date: 1/27/14 2:49 AM

I got one a few months ago. I haven't actually played much with it yet, but I did do a fabric cut out to make this shirt for my grandson. He LOVES "EXIT" signs and so I made one by pulling up the preloaded rounded rectangle and then cut preloaded lettering onto it.

I did use the inclosed fabric stabilizer sheet on the back of the white cotton I was cutting. After cutting, I ironed it on the shirt and then zigzzg stitched around the rectangle and the outline of each letter.

the shirt was a $2.49 find at Old Navy. You can see from the first photo that my grandson actually has a real working lighted EXIT sign in his bedroom!

I am going to be taking a class soon at the store where I purchased the machine.

-- Edited on 1/28/14 0:02 AM --

------
Elna Lotus TSP, Singer 503a-Rocketeer, Brother Innovis 1250D, Pfaff Passport 2.0, Kenmore 10-Stitch, Centennial Singer Featherweight from 1950

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

Date: 1/27/14 1:19 PM

I've been intrigued by this (yes, there's a gadget I don't have ) but since I already have a scanner, I went off in search of similar devices that don't have a built-in scanner ...

There are several, not all of which are very good at cutting fabric according to the reviews. Cricut makes a couple of them, the Cricut Mini Cutting Machine and the Cricut Expression Cutting Machine. Silhouette also makes the Silhouette Portrait and the Silhouette Cameo. I've become quite interested in the Cameo. Note HSN has the bundle for the same price as Amazon without all the bad reviews about folks not getting what was advertised in the bundle. Sounds like Amazon has an inventory problem.

Then I thought, what I would really like this thing to be good at is cutting custom stencils. I hate being limited to what I can find and want to make my own, even more than I want this thing to cut applique. There are places you can order custom laser-cut stencils from your own designs (Etsy has several) but I went off in search of "what would it cost to just buy my own laser cutter" you know, ballpark... Well... new ones start at about 8 grand for a "little desktop model". LOL! For under $300 I'm back to the Silhouette Cameo...

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Brother scan n cut update

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Sew Liberated The Emmeline Apron

Sew Liberated The Emmeline Apron

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Sew Liberated Lola and Lolita Aprons

Buy Now
Self Drafted Pattern 102981-1002

photo
by: pammieh

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.