SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernina VS. Juki VS. Pfaff ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina VS. Juki VS. Pfaff
I need to choose a sewing machine quickly!
zacharyfashions
zacharyfashions
Member since 1/4/14
Send Message

Date: 1/4/14 4:40 AM

Hello! I am FINALLY upgrading from my singer to a new machine!! The problem is I don't know which machine to invest in. I have the option to get a slightly used Bernina 350 PE for $1000 but I am hesitant because i would have to act quickly. I also have looked at the Juki Exceed F600 and the Pfaff ambition line. All three brands seem very durable and useful.

I need the machine to be sturdy, reliable, and quiet. I mostly do garment sewing but i tend to sew a lot of leather (up to 4 pieces)

I have used an older Bernina before and LOVED it. I also have used an industrial Juki and thought it was amazing. However i did not own those machines and could only use them for a little while.

Vintagelover
Vintagelover
Member since 9/29/13
Send Message

In reply to zacharyfashions <<
thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 1/4/14 5:30 AM

I am a older Bernina lover, heard good things about the 350 but in all honesty I would go the JukiF600. Not experienced enough with the Pfaff to offer an opinion.

My preference with the Juki would be the ability to sew variety of things, loads of feet (cheaper than the Berninas) and the stitch quality.

Interested in others thoughts.

BJo
BJo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 2/25/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/4/14 6:29 AM

If you are planning on buying from a dealer that should weigh heavily on your decision. If you are planning on buying on-line, Juki, in my experience, would be the way to go. I bought the F600 on-line (in fact I have two) and every time I use the machine I fall in love with it all over again! Pretty easy to understand, handles all kinds of different fabric and is very reliable. And Vintagelover is correct - the feet are much more reasonably priced and you can easily accumulate the entire collection for a lot less than the Bernina.

I used to have Viking machines but was terribly disappointed in the quality of the newer machines. Bernina still maintains a stellar reputation but it was a lot more expensive than the Juki for a similar machine.

Keep us posted!

sewilson
sewilson
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 5/3/03
Send Message

In reply to BJo <<

Date: 1/4/14 7:03 AM

Quote: BJo
If you are planning on buying from a dealer that should weigh heavily on your decision. If you are planning on buying on-line, Juki, in my experience, would be the way to go. I bought the F600 on-line (in fact I have two) and every time I use the machine I fall in love with it all over again! Pretty easy to understand, handles all kinds of different fabric and is very reliable. And Vintagelover is correct - the feet are much more reasonably priced and you can easily accumulate the entire collection for a lot less than the Bernina.

I used to have Viking machines but was terribly disappointed in the quality of the newer machines. Bernina still maintains a stellar reputation but it was a lot more expensive than the Juki for a similar machine.

Keep us posted!

HI, I notice that you bought your juki online, I also have my eyes on that machine, I would like to ask where the best place is to purchase it?
I have a friend who bought a pfaff machine who has had problems with hers and she would not buy another. I don't know however what model it was.

Thanks for any info on the Juki. Sharon
fluff

fluff
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/4/04
Send Message

Date: 1/4/14 8:39 AM

I also have the Juki F-600. I bought mine on line at Ken's. They gave me excellent service when the needle threader broke and I had to send it back to them. Couldn't be more courteous and very fast service. That being said, I miss the old days when you could take your machine in to a local shop to have it repaired, but those days seem to be gone, especially with the new computerized machines.

Brotherlover
star
Brotherlover
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/7/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/4/14 12:03 PM

If it were me I would go juki as well. I haven't heard anyone unhappy with their juki 600, I have seen more ups and downs with pfaffs, not sure of the bernina model your looking at, but the model of juki you are looking at gets great reviews. I still eye it every now and then even though I have my dreamweaver which I love

------
Brother XL-3500i
SQ-9050
Dreamweaver VM6200D

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/4/14 12:11 PM

I have the 350SE, which is the same as the PE except mine is a special edition with a fancy faceplate. I use mine mostly for piecing and as a class machine. As much as I love this machine, I wouldn't want it to be my only machine. It doesn't have presser foot pressure adjustment, which would seem to be essential for the type of sewing you do. I also think the Juki would be a better choice for you.

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

with love Heidi
with love Heidi
Member since 11/26/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/4/14 8:13 PM

I would go the Bernina without hesitation, I have a 380 and it sews through everything! Including the 5 layers of pleather and 5 of cotton at on point in the last bag I made! I am very happy:)

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 1/4/14 8:27 PM

Presser foot pressure adjustment is likely to be highly valuable to you...I'd go with the Juki.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

pamyjo2001

pamyjo2001  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 11/23/06
Send Message

Date: 1/5/14 3:12 AM

If possible go test each machine you want to buy and only purchase when you are comfortable. I would not suggest relying on a brands previous reputation. All machine manufacturers are cutting corners these days and putting out less than perfect machines.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina VS. Juki VS. Pfaff

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

HotPatterns 1137

photo
by: Dilliander

Review
McCall's 6553

photo
by: amylynnnic

Review
SewBaby Easy Pieces Jumper Pattern

SewBaby Easy Pieces Jumper Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.