SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > RAG QUILT Makers? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
RAG QUILT Makers?
Rag Quilt Makers
andersonsrus
andersonsrus
Intermediate
Member since 9/17/10
Send Message

Date: 1/4/14 1:16 PM

I want to make an adult size rag quilt for when my friend takes naps(chemo related) and I have found a few patterns on line . So my 1st question is what size squares should I use and also about how much fabric will I need. I am guess that I will need to use about 5 different fabrics. for the squares.
I just want to make it big enough for cuddle room bigger size is better than to small. Also as far as fabrics I will be getting it at Joannes so what do I get. Basicall in all and any infor from you people who have made one. This is avery special gift and I ned to get started on this very soon. Thanks

UrbanFool
UrbanFool  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/19/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/4/14 1:43 PM

I made this one that was certainly big enough to cuddle (I tried it out.) I got all the fabric at JoAnn's... the flannel and fleece for the inner layer. I don't think I bought any more than 1 1/2 yards of any one fabric (except the fleece.)

The size of the squares is so subjective that there's no way to give any kind of "right" answer on that.

These patterns online don't have the yardage information and square sizes?

------
Kelly

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to andersonsrus <<

Date: 1/4/14 1:44 PM

What is your desired finished size?

Average for a lap quilt is 50x70. That is NOT an absolute, just an average estimate.

Size of squares and how many different fabrics is entirely personal preference. The bigger the squares, the faster it is to put together.

You will need to get fabric for the front squares, fabric for the back squares, and if you choose to use a middle layer, you'll need that also.

How warm do you want this to be?

Quilting cotton and flannel are two very popular choices for rag quilts and both are pretty easy to work with fabrics.

------
Cathryn

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/4/14 2:08 PM

I have made several rag quilts. For a cuddle quilt I would use flannel for the top, middle and back, or quilting cotton on top with two flannel layers.

You will have one inch seam allowances, so keep that in mind when you choose your square size.

If you use flannel in the middle instead of batting you do not have to stitch an X across the block. The extra flannel layer also gives a more ragged edge.

You will want to invest in spring loaded snips for cutting the edges.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to UrbanFool <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/4/14 2:17 PM

Quote: UrbanFool
I made this one that was certainly big enough to cuddle (I tried it out.) I got all the fabric at JoAnn's... the flannel and fleece for the inner layer. I don't think I bought any more than 1 1/2 yards of any one fabric (except the fleece.)

The size of the squares is so subjective that there's no way to give any kind of "right" answer on that.

These patterns online don't have the yardage information and square sizes?

My gosh what a CUTE picture!!!!

------
Cathryn

andersonsrus
andersonsrus
Intermediate
Member since 9/17/10
Send Message

Date: 1/4/14 2:40 PM

I want to make this bigger than lap size. I would say a twin size would be good.

so where do I go from here. I am pretty new to all this so I need a lot of help to get started. once I do I will be fine since I can sew but to get the fabric etc and not sure what size squares or maybe a stripe one would be better? So if you were doing this how much fabric? size of squares or stripes. Twin size. Do I use quilters cotton or flannel for the outside. I want it soft and warm

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to andersonsrus <<

Date: 1/4/14 3:28 PM

Quote: andersonsrus
I want to make this bigger than lap size. I would say a twin size would be good.

so where do I go from here. I am pretty new to all this so I need a lot of help to get started. once I do I will be fine since I can sew but to get the fabric etc and not sure what size squares or maybe a stripe one would be better? So if you were doing this how much fabric? size of squares or stripes. Twin size. Do I use quilters cotton or flannel for the outside. I want it soft and warm

Twin size (again this is not set in stone) would be 54x90.

I would suggest buying pre-cut layer cake packs, each one will give you 42- 10" squares already cut! They are expensive, usually in the $30-$40 price range. You'd need 2 for each side (front and back) They are SUPER convenient though since they are already cut. Another big bonus is they give you a very nice variety of fabrics.

A 10" square will finish at 9" in your quilt. Use a 1/2" seam allowance for a rag quilt. 10" (unfinished) is a nice size for a rag quilt. You could do 7 rows by 10 rows and you'd have a nice generously sized twin.

The BEAUTIFUL thing about rag quilts is you can really mix up your fabrics. You can use cotton and fleece and minkee and flannel, anything you want really. If you want soft and warm, I'd use minkee on the back and cotton on the front with a layer of flannel in between.

Quilting cotton and flannel is usually 42-44" wide

Minkee and fleece is usually 54-60" wide

If you cut 10" squares you can get 4 squares per width of cotton/flannel

You can get 5-6 10" squares per width of fleece/minkee

------
Cathryn

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to Michelle T <<

Date: 1/4/14 3:41 PM

Why 1 inch seam allowances? Why such large ones?

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew <<

Date: 1/4/14 3:44 PM

Quote: Learn To Sew
Why 1 inch seam allowances? Why such large ones?

Usually you use 1/2", which equals 1" when you consider both sides.

You can do whatever you want though with a rag quilt. I love them for that reason!

------
Cathryn

KathySews
star
KathySews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/4/14 4:27 PM

I just made one for my brother who is recovering from surgery in a very cold climate.

I cut 5" flannel squares and used 4" precut batting squares from eBay. This allowed 1/2" seam allowances. I made all the squares first by sandwiching the top/batting/bottom and sewing an X on each one. Then sewed into 15 rows of 15 squares. That made approx 60" x 60". I basically came to the size by holding the row in my lap to see what I liked. I had 4 different fabrics and just rotated the colors.

The first washing fills the washer and dryer with lint/string. I washed/dried the quilt I think 3 times to reduce the threads coming off the quilt. Also included a note to wash the quilt alone and warned there can be unexpected lint but to wash it anyway.

He is happy and says it is his tv quilt.

ETA: I agree with buying precut squares. You can find them everywhere and it saves a lot of work. Adding the batting made this an extremely warm and heavy quilt but if you don't need it that warm, cotton squares with flannel would be great.

If it helps, I thought the 4" finished squares were a bit small and would make larger squares next time.
-- Edited on 1/4/14 4:30 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> RAG QUILT Makers?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Take-Along Bags

Take-Along Bags

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Small Tote Pattern

You Sew Girl Small Tote Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.