SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Benjamin Biggs Wedding Quilt BOM ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Benjamin Biggs Wedding Quilt BOM
anyone else???
jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

Date: 1/5/14 1:22 PM

This is a Baltimore Album style quilt that's a free block of the month from Sentimental Stitches and the Dear Jane blog. Is anyone else planning on doing this?? I'd like some company that I "know"!

B. Biggs quilt

I've got the center cut and pinned. I'm preparing to baste and then do the needle turn method on it. I practiced yesterday on two of the Dear Jane blocks...my first attempts. Not perfect, but reasonable...

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to jannw <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/5/14 2:02 PM

Not me, I'm afraid, Jan, I don't have the patience.

------
Barb

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 1/5/14 5:34 PM

Not me. I don't like that style quilt so I'd never make it to the end of the project. Let us know how you're doing. We'll hold you accountable!

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
online now
Send Message

In reply to jannw <<

Date: 1/6/14 12:35 PM

Not me. I am not so adventurous as you are. I think the project is lovely. What fabrics have you chosen for it?

That would be lovely in Hawaii fabrics. Now, stop tempting me, will you???
-- Edited on 1/6/14 12:36 PM --

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

nzach
nzach  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 5/26/13
Send Message

Date: 1/6/14 4:39 PM

I've been hemming and hawing for a couple of weeks, but after seeing people mention it here, I've decided to go ahead and take the plunge!

I am thinking of getting one green to use across all of the blocks, but then instead of buying a specific red trying to use up items in my stash... i own a lot of blue. a lot. of. blue. so maybe i'll give that a try with a few blocks and see how it looks.

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

Date: 1/7/14 5:24 AM

It's beautiful. I love appliqué quilts. But the thought of making one... not so much :)

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to nzach <<

Date: 1/7/14 10:55 AM

Quote:
I've decided to go ahead and take the plunge

Great!!! Blue would look good....some of the finished blocks have been shown on the Yahoo group and there are several who are doing blues. I like your idea of using the same green throughout.

I was thinking of doing the reds and greens throughout, but I saw a similair quilt on a blog that used yellows, pinks, and blues along with the red. It looked great and now I'm undecided.

Today, I will try the applique...there are a lot of points on that block!!

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0
Everyone who sews seriously has a stockpile of fabrics, because it is natural to purchase more than can be sewn in any one season" Singer, Timesaving Sewing, 1987

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

Date: 1/7/14 11:00 AM

Come on Learn!! Hawaii fabrics would be great and you'd end up with something unique!!

Patience???? It's only one block a month!! Some are finished with theirs already...Do you all have other plans for the next two years???

I've worked up my nerve and after some minimal houskeeping, I'll start the handsewing....

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
online now
Send Message

In reply to jannw <<

Date: 1/7/14 11:30 AM

I have not tried applique yet. The sew along starts next month.
It is tempting to me, though.

Did you say 2 Years?

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

jannw
starstarstarstar
jannw  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 9/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/7/14 11:44 AM

The last pattern is scheduled to be published February 1, 2016. By then, I figure I'll be an expert at needle turn applique and will redo this first block! Or I'll have a new pillow for the couch.

Learn...there are many types of learning. We had a discussion about this on the Stash thread a while back. Some really wanted to progress in stages, learning one thing more with each project. I'm more adventurous (or foolish). I see something and want it...then I figure out how to do it. This has lead to some epic fails, but I've learned alot also. I posted a link to a blog that gives very clear instructions on how to do this applique, so I'm plunging in.
Cat will be teaching raw edge applique, but when I looked at this pattern, I know that I can't control my machines well enough for all the points, so I'm handstitching.

------
2009-113.25 yds
2010-115.5
2011-80.25+30+donated
2012 86.3 yds..
2013 21.0

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Benjamin Biggs Wedding Quilt BOM

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Vogue Patterns 1051

photo
by: SuzyBee

Review
Simplicity 2217

photo
by: Doobee64

Review
Shapes High Five Jacket Pattern

Shapes High Five Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.