SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernina or Juki for thread painting and Quiet!! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina or Juki for thread painting and Quiet!!
Anyone have experience with either model?
csa12
csa12  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 11/21/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/6/14 12:22 PM

I love this board and have learned so much from you! Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I am a beginner quilter and am looking for a possible replacement for my Viking 875Q i bought in Sept/2013.
I sew in our basement TV room and it's quite loud. I also find the thread cutter to be very fussy. I took it to my dealer and aside from a slight adjustment to the tension, they did not find any problems.

While I love learning how to make traditional quilts, I am really interested in learning how to create art quilts embellished with thread painting, beadwork, etc. I have tried the Juki F600 and the Bernina 380, 560, and 580. They all seem quiet enough but my two questions are...

-which have people liked for thread painting specifically?
-have you found yourself limited by either brand as far as types of feet available and other accessories that will allow me to quilt with a variety of different materials (beads, paper, light and heavy fabrics).

Obviously, I have a lot to learn about the features that are important to me. So far, I like the how my Viking raises the needle ever so slightly to allow me to pivot my fabric as I make turns, a machine with LED lighting helps my weak eyesight, larger throat space, Start/stop button would be useful. I really would also like a machine that is not so loud while my family watches TV!

Both Bernina and Juki dealers in my area are great so that balances out. What have other people's experiences been with these machines?

Thanks so much!
Cheryl

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to csa12 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/6/14 12:40 PM

My reply is slightly related...I bought the 875Q in Feb/2013 and traded it in for the new 960Q this last November. I love all the new features and I still get the pivot and this model can be updated. I've already downloaded four new stitches. There is a Start/Stop button which starts a little too fast for my taste but I still love the machine overall. I have not tried FMQ on it yet. Before that I had a Bernina 550Q and a Brother QC-1000, for which I originally sold a Pfaff 7570 to buy. I should have kept the Pfaff...

That aside, I wouldn't mind having the Juki F600. It has a beautiful selection of applique stitches not found on other machines and a huge posse of devoted owners. You can use your Viking feet on it with installation of a Viking ankle. It's very quiet, too.

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to csa12 <<

Date: 1/6/14 12:45 PM

I will be learning to thread paint in a few months. It is nice to read of someone wanting to try this form of sewing. My Bernina is a 630. I have not tried thread painting as of yet, though. I love my machine and would not easily give it up.

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 1/6/14 1:56 PM

I don't do threadpainting, but I know a couple folks that do, and they love the Bernina smooth-action knobs for stitch length and width. The 630, 640, 730, 560, 580, 7 series and 8 series have these.

I love these on my 630 and 820. You can adjust stitch length and width while sewing.
-- Edited on 1/6/14 1:57 PM --

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
MS USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

In reply to Maia B <<

Date: 1/6/14 2:00 PM

I love my Bernina's multi-function knobs too -- one of my favorite features.

------
Patricia
Bernina 830LE ~ Bernina Artista 635LE ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
MS USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

In reply to Maia B <<

Date: 1/6/14 2:00 PM

Oops -- stupid iPad.
-- Edited on 1/6/14 2:01 PM --

------
Patricia
Bernina 830LE ~ Bernina Artista 635LE ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

with love Heidi
with love Heidi
Member since 11/26/12
Send Message

Date: 1/7/14 6:49 AM

Once I started Fmq on my Bernina 380, I'm a beginner in Fmq, one of the first things that popped into my head was how much fun thread painting would be on this machine! I haven't tried it yet. The open toed quilting foot is amazing for visibility and has just the right pressure for moving easily under it.
Can you go and try out the Berninas?

csa12
csa12  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 11/21/13
Send Message

In reply to with love Heidi <<

Date: 1/7/14 9:08 AM

Hi!
Yes, fortunately my Bernina dealer is very close by and I can stop by again to try the 380. That was the initial model the saleslady showed me. I told her that I was just starting out and pretty much only used a straight stitch, so I did not really need all the bells and whistles YET. :)

I looked at the 580 too because I doubt I would ever need anything more from a sewing machine feature-wise. But I already bought my Viking Sapphire this past September and swore to myself I will spend smarter the next time around!

Are you happy with the 380, does the machine have to have embroidery capability to do FMQ?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

kitphantom
kitphantom  Friend of PR
Advanced
NM USA
Member since 1/6/11
Send Message

Date: 1/7/14 9:10 AM

I have thread painted on a couple of my Berninas, including the 1230 I no longer own. Have also free-motion quilted. (I have not really conquered either, but I try.)
I do have the TV on when sewing, but with any I can lose track of what is going on, either due to the noise of the machine or change of concentration from screen to work.
In workshops, my Berninas have seemed quieter than many of the other machines. Keeping track of cleaning, oiling and changing the needle all make a big difference in noise level. Table surface can be a small factor too. With the 440 and 180, the machine is on the rubbery shelf liner, to keep the acrylic extension tables in place. [The rubber feet on those died, and I have not found a good replacement.]
My Singer 221 and 301 are quieter than any of the Berninas. I like them as older machines but will default to the Berninas for quilting, playing with thread painting and the like.(I am spoiled by how much thread is on the Bernina bobbin vs the Singers.)
-- Edited on 1/7/14 1:20 PM --

------
Bernina: 910, 930, 180, 440
Bernina 1150MDA
Bernette 004D serger
Vintage/classic Singer: 201, 301, 221

csa12
csa12  Friend of PR
Beginner
Member since 11/21/13
Send Message

In reply to kitphantom <<

Date: 1/7/14 9:21 AM

A featherweight is also on my wish list. My quilting instructor has one and it was amazing purring along with its beautiful stitch. I guess I need to play with the Berninas and the Jukis again to decide as that's the only way to really know.

Thanks for your input!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina or Juki for thread painting and Quiet!!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Kwik Sew 3773

photo
by: dawn so ca...

Review

Pattern

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern

Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Butterick 5824

photo
by: Pamaro

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.