SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Help buying a needle ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Help buying a needle
dinka
dinka
Beginner
Member since 1/6/14
Send Message

Date: 1/6/14 4:15 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to sew this material, called Tyvek. Here are some instructions I've got from their data sheet, which I'm having difficulties figuring out, in the sense of what should I ask forlook for when buying a needle and a thread.

Here is the description of what I need:
• Use #306 (Union Special) or #14 (Singer) needle, or equivalent.
• Use a flat tipped needle that cuts slit-like perforations. “Rock Point” (Union Special) or “Narrow Wedge”
(Singer) will permit top speed operation with the same thread used for round-point needles.
• The informal industry standard of 25/4 tex (24/4cc) glace thread of short staple cotton in #14 and #036
needles have given satisfactory performance in outdoor banners when coupled with 16.5/3 tex (36/6cc)
soft looper thread. If smaller diameter thread is required, 14.5/4 tex (40/4cc) glace thread of “Sak” quality
should provide satisfactory results.

Maybe somebody has a more precise idea what this means or can spell it out for me...?

Thank you,
Dina

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to dinka <<

Date: 1/6/14 6:35 PM

If you are using a home sewing machine and so need or want to use a flat backed normal home sewing machine needle and really want to do it as "they" say to, in whatever you got that from and go with the thing of:
• Use a flat tipped needle that cuts slit-like perforations. “Rock Point” (Union Special) or “Narrow Wedge” like that, I think you are down to using more a made for leather needle, size 14 instead.

Just because no home sewing machine needles have any kind of flat tips on them at all. Most are pointed and round instead. Some might make more a slit like hole in your fabric instead of just a round hole though, and the only two kinds of those that I can think of, that would even do that, I think are a Wing needle with little metal pieces on the sides of it (used for more heirloom sewing most of the time to leave holes in the fabric) or just a made for leather needle that might have a twist to it and might cut more of a slit. You could try both of those.

You could also just use any kind of needle to see what happened. Just because some special commercial machine someplace uses all that stuff to sew through some really thick Tyvek for some special application best some place and with commercial needles and thread, does not mean you could not sew though it with any home sewing needle either, particular if it was really just the really thin stuff, that sometimes they put in with advertising promotions you get in the mail as advertisement for things and such.
-- Edited on 1/6/14 6:38 PM --

CdnSkier
CdnSkier
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 3/18/09
Send Message

In reply to dinka <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/6/14 9:51 PM

I would use a 90/14 Leather needle as it is designed to cut, not pierce, fabric. Also I would use a poly top-stitching thread, or if your project is destined for outside use, go to Joann's or Hancocks in the Home Dec section and purchase thread designed for outdoor use. This is treated to resist water and UV damage.

------
Baby Lock Ellure Plus (BLR3), Pfaff Creative 4874 serger/coverstitch, Singer Rocketeer 500J,
"A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." Eleanor Roosevelt

dinka
dinka
Beginner
Member since 1/6/14
Send Message

In reply to CdnSkier <<

Date: 1/6/14 10:15 PM

Thank you for your answer! What is a poly top-stitching thread?

dinka
dinka
Beginner
Member since 1/6/14
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 1/6/14 10:16 PM

Thx a lot!

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 1/6/14 10:37 PM

Inquiring minds wanna know....

What are you building?

------
Video of how the Bionic Gear Bag works is here: www.BionicGearBag.com
Neglected personal blog is here: www.RipStitcher.com
Share pics on Instagram: RipStitcher

Unashamed of being a self confessed tool junkie! Currently love my: Bernina 550qe, ElnaPress & Oliso Iron - crazy thing but I love it! ...and a fleet of Macs, iPads, iPhones.

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Bernina 880 Sterling Edition
Babylock serger
& a new-new Sewmobile - see my last #sewmobile in Instagram

dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09
Send Message

Date: 1/7/14 0:18 AM

I've sewn tyvek, of the weight used for mailing envelopes, using a plain pointed needle (a sharp, for a home machine) of the size suitable for the thread I was using, which was probably a spun poly, of tex 30 or 40. so a 12 or 14 needle.
You'll want to use somewhat longer sttitch length than you normally would. It can tear along the seam lines.

It's also possible to glue or tape tyvek.

dinka
dinka
Beginner
Member since 1/6/14
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/7/14 1:10 PM

Picture
-- Edited on 1/7/14 1:11 PM --

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

In reply to dinka <<

Date: 1/7/14 1:16 PM

Wow!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to dinka <<

Date: 1/7/14 1:22 PM

Quote: dinka
Hi,

I'm trying to sew this material, called Tyvek. Here are some instructions I've got from their data sheet, which I'm having difficulties figuring out, in the sense of what should I ask forlook for when buying a needle and a thread.

Here is the description of what I need:

• Use #306 (Union Special) or #14 (Singer) needle, or equivalent.

• Use a flat tipped needle that cuts slit-like perforations. “Rock Point” (Union Special) or “Narrow Wedge”

(Singer) will permit top speed operation with the same thread used for round-point needles.

• The informal industry standard of 25/4 tex (24/4cc) glace thread of short staple cotton in #14 and #036

needles have given satisfactory performance in outdoor banners when coupled with 16.5/3 tex (36/6cc)

soft looper thread. If smaller diameter thread is required, 14.5/4 tex (40/4cc) glace thread of “Sak” quality

should provide satisfactory results.

Maybe somebody has a more precise idea what this means or can spell it out for me...?

Thank you,

Dina

This sounds like a subject for the parachute man, Al Johnson to address.

When I googled Tyvek I found igloos and tents.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Help buying a needle

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Vogue Patterns 1120

photo
by: julliams

Review
Jamie Christina Lark Paper Pattern

Jamie Christina Lark Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Plaza Jacket & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Plaza Jacket & Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.