SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > How to hang a quilt without a hanging sleeve ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How to hang a quilt without a hanging sleeve
Help!
1975Jumby
star
1975Jumby
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/19/08
Send Message

Date: 1/6/14 7:53 PM

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good wall quilt hanging system or hooks or something that can be used to hang a quilt without a sleeve? I know people don't like to usually do this and it may distort the binding, etc, etc,. However, this is for my mother-in-law who does not sew and does not live close enough for me to put a quilt sleeve on for her. I've been searching the internet, but can't find anything that is affordable/reasonable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

------
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Enlighten
Kenmore 1914
Kenmore 1814

UrbanFool
UrbanFool  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/19/06
Send Message

Date: 1/6/14 9:24 PM

We got THESE for several Navaho rugs my husband didn't want to put holes of any kind in. Don't know if they're anything you're looking for. They come in lots of finishes and sizes.

------
Kelly

ThreeThreads
ThreeThreads  Friend of PR
Beginner
New Mexico USA
Member since 8/22/13
Send Message

In reply to 1975Jumby <<

Date: 1/6/14 9:31 PM

Quote:
a good wall quilt hanging system

Jim--
Sending this as a PM, as I'm a sewing newbie, & know nothing at all about quilts--not even what a quilt sleeve is.
But I think I understand the essence of the problem. In my part of the country, hanging Navajo, & other, rugs is a common situation; & various systems exist for this.
Since I understand nothing of the normal situation, here's an off-the-wall idea; it's untried, but if I had it to do, this is what I'd try.
2 narrow--1.5" or less--thin strips of plywood, ideally 1/4" or 3/8", the length of these being the width of the top end of the quilt. Or, in this idea, the strips wouldn't have to be continuous; e.g., if the quilt were 6' wide, 3 (sets of ) strips of 1.5' length probably would work.
Form a sandwich of the strips for bread, the quilt for meat. Use 6 (say), 1" C-clamps, at regular intervals, tightened enuf to keep the quilt from slipping out. String a clothesline, actual or equivalent, thru all the clamps; & use this as the support for the quilt--a loop, with the upper part supported on 1 or 2 (or 3) wall hangers.
HTH, if only as an idea.

------
Just a thought: If your watch had a second hand, wouldn't it really be a third hand?

ThreeThreads
ThreeThreads  Friend of PR
Beginner
New Mexico USA
Member since 8/22/13
Send Message

Date: 1/6/14 9:32 PM

I guess this has to be an OOPS!!
Thought I sent that as a PM; guess I need some more PR technical instruction.

------
Just a thought: If your watch had a second hand, wouldn't it really be a third hand?

UrbanFool
UrbanFool  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/19/06
Send Message

Date: 1/6/14 9:48 PM

The info is great! I'm sure it's appreciated.

------
Kelly

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to 1975Jumby <<

Date: 1/6/14 9:57 PM

I have some of these hang ups and they work pretty well. Might need 3 or 4 for a heavy quilt. I have two on a 20" quilt and it doesn't seem to be stressing the binding at all.

For a really lightweight quilt there are some 3m clips that will work well if mounting on a wall that can take the 3m adhesive

------
Tess

On threadpainting flowers: "How many colors are in a flower? ... How many do you have?" - Ellen Anne Eddy

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to TessKwiltz <<

Date: 1/7/14 1:10 AM

That's what I use and it works wonderfully

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

m/m

m/m  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 4/4/05
Send Message

Date: 1/7/14 7:05 AM

Museums are now using a wall-mounted muslin covered metal strip and small, powerful rare earth magnets placed on the front of the textile to hold wall mounted textiles. A google search on magnets for textile mounts pulls up descriptions and sources. (Edited to correct IPad's wonky spelling. Sigh.)
-- Edited on 1/7/14 7:06 AM --

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to 1975Jumby <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/7/14 2:05 PM

I use these. You can use as many as needed across the top.

I have one wall hanging that has been up since mid summer and another since Christmas.

If weight is an issue, a local quilt shop may be able to put on a sleeve for her.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

Date: 1/7/14 2:22 PM

I have a great aunt's quilt (hand pieced for me) hanging with drapery rings w/ clips (similar to these) on a curtain rod mounted high on the wall.

It's not as flat to the wall as I'd like, but it looks good.

I think I bought mine at Target (?) - and bought the rod and rings together so they'd match.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> How to hang a quilt without a hanging sleeve

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Christine Jonson Travel Trio One

Christine Jonson Travel Trio One

Buy Now
Jackets for Real People DVD

Jackets for Real People DVD

Buy Now
McCall's 6446

photo
by: redeyedtre...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.