SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Popularity of Pre-cuts ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Popularity of Pre-cuts
Are you using them more?
SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/9/14 8:52 AM

I'm curious. With the popularity of pre-cuts, do you find that you are using them more, or are you mainly cutting fat quarters and yardage, or using a die cutter?
I find myself really attracted to the pre-cuts, especially with the MSQ daily deals. Yesterday's was spectacular. The Palm Court Layer Cake was too pretty to pass up at that price.
I had purchased the Accuquilt Go, and don't regret that purchase. It is so much less expensive to purchase yardage and cut it with that. Especially for strips. I probably should take out some of my fabrics that co-ordinate, cut on the Go, and place it in ziplocks for future use. Then I will have my own pre-cuts all ready to go.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/9/14 10:20 AM

I've liked pre-cuts for applique and you can get a fabric line in a charm pak. However I do prefer yardage in case I want to use in other projects and pre-cuts tend to be more expensive although I don't buy them unless they are on sale.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 1/9/14 10:42 AM

I am actually finding myself using them less. For me it is not so much the expense as it is the color combinations. When the fabric line has a few different colorways, lots of times they don't always look so great together.

I no longer buy jelly rolls, unless they are a DD AND solid strips. I do not like sewing those pinked edges! And they are just not versatile enough for the types of quilts I make most.

If I like ALL the fabrics together and it is a DD I will get a charm pack or a layer cake. I actually bought one layer cake at regular price because I fell in love with the fabric.

The other times I will get a charm pack is for appliques. WONDERFUL to have such a great variety because I like my appliques to have different fabrics.

------
Cathryn

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

Date: 1/9/14 10:47 AM

I don't have an Accuquilt Go, but I've used precuts for a few quilts and tote bags. I think the colorways on the Bali Pops are really pretty and I've made a couple of quilts with them. I've got a couple of layer cakes in my stash that need a project. I've also made a tote bag using a Charm Pack and a different tote using a Jelly Roll. And, I made CJ Tinkle's serger cover using a Jelly Roll. And, then there is the Jelly Roll Race. So, I guess my answer is "yes."
-- Edited on 1/9/14 11:06 AM --

------
Patricia
Bernina Artista 635LE ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 1/9/14 11:01 AM

Love buying fat quarters and yardage. The smaller precuts, like candy bars and charm packs are not something that interests me much. They used to, but not anymore. Layer cakes are just too expensive. I bought a jelly rolls last spring and have not opened it up. I did take the plastic off it so it could breathe, though.

So, for me, the answer is a solid no.

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Addierecoy
Addierecoy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MO USA
Member since 5/30/13
Send Message

Date: 1/9/14 11:12 AM

I cut my own strips, but do buy a lot of charm packs, and the occasional layer cake. I'm often attracted to the theme of a line of fabric, and they allow me to play with them. And I do usually end up using every last bit of it. So it works out well for me.

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 1/9/14 11:23 AM

I've only ever bought precut strips, charms, mini charms, and hexagons. It's nice to eliminate some cutting. Bali Pops are great-balanced colors and values, well cut and no bowing in my experience. The Moda linked edges annoy me, but they still work well in most projects. There are so many patterns made to work well with the 2.5" strips, and most of them can be figured out just by looking at them. Nice for when you find a fabric color took you like, but don't know what to do with it.

I'm in a stage now of wanting to make and have utilitarian quilts, so that handmade quilts can be just a normal, essential part of home life for my kids and as many kids as I can reach. I confess that I don't like to subject my more labor-intensive quilts to the rigors of family life.

Charms are cheaper and smaller than yardage for those collections I just WANT. A compromise. :)

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/9/14 11:50 AM

Great points. Thanks for pointing out that charms are great for applique.
I too bought a layer cake at full price once. It was so gorgeous, and so ME I was afraid I'd never see it again.
Pre-cuts are also wonderful when you see a fabric line, and just can't decide on what to put together. Or they are out of some of the line. At least you have something.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

Date: 1/9/14 11:54 AM

I buy charm packs, mini charms, candy bars then get the co-coordinating fabrics for the borders, back and binding. If I don't like a color in the pack, I don't use it. I have no fabric store close, so I order online. That's where I'm at in my quilting.....pre-cuts.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Franksdottir

Franksdottir
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/9/14 2:11 PM

Yes, I am enjoying the precuts, especially charm packs with which I am in love at the moment.

------
Barb

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Popularity of Pre-cuts

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 06-2012-125

photo
by: SewWil

Review
PerfectFuse Sheer White

PerfectFuse Sheer White

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop MixIt Shirt, Top & Tank Pattern

Sewing Workshop MixIt Shirt, Top & Tank Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.