SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > is there a market for AG Doll clothes? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
is there a market for AG Doll clothes?
Just wondering
LizJ58
star
LizJ58
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 10/31/13
Send Message

Date: 1/14/14 10:43 AM

I'm curious if any of you know, is there a market for handmade American Girl clothing? Obviously the patterns have been pretty successful, since the pattern companies keep bringing them out. I was just thinking...this could be a good use of scraps and remnants, if they were a potential item at flea markets, festivals, etc.

------
- Libby with a "y" not an "ie"
(People who know Richmond will get this!)

"Sewing is not a hobby, it's a journey."

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
Montana USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

Date: 1/14/14 11:01 AM

I can't answer about the market for them but I did see them for sale on etsy. Plus, the clothes you buy for the AG dolls from the manufacturer are horriblly sewn. We bought a coat for one of the dolls and I had to take it apart just to get it to fit over her hands. My step daughter got a doll for Xmas and I didn't have time to make her some clothes so we bought them.

I do wonder though about using commercial patterns to make the AG doll clothes, then sell them. I've seen that in my search. I would think the same applies to doll patterns as it does to clothing patterns...not to be made for resale.

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

indianajoni
star
indianajoni
Advanced Beginner
Indiana USA
Member since 4/22/07
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 1/14/14 12:15 PM

Yes. Yes there is. I've been making and selling AG clothes for 4+ years and I make enough to support my doll habit + my fabric habit + my vintage sewing pattern habit.

Etsy is a good starting place, although I've eventually branched away from there. You also may want to look at Dollabee.com although I'm less familiar with their policies. Basically it's a marketplace exclusively for 18" doll stuff.

------
www.embellishlife.blogspot.com

Sweetsong

Sweetsong
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 12/26/05
Send Message

Date: 1/14/14 12:48 PM

Don't know about American Girl, but 18" (Barbie) fashion doll clothes might be a market. The clothes in the store are not very plentiful. They are a bear to sew, though.

LizJ58
star
LizJ58
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 10/31/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/14/14 3:40 PM

I think Barbies are 11" dolls.

------
- Libby with a "y" not an "ie"
(People who know Richmond will get this!)

"Sewing is not a hobby, it's a journey."

Char in KS
star
Char in KS
Advanced Beginner
Kansas USA
Member since 7/9/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/14/14 4:03 PM

I have been using my scrap fabric to make doll clothes for AG sized dolls.

I don't think you could sell any from the big 4 commerical patterns. Several independent pattern companies on Etsy let you use their patterns as long as their pattern is recognized.

I actually made several items for my dad's work Toys for Tots drive. They got a doll that they could pair with the outfits. You probably can use a big 4 pattern for clothing to donate.

I have started to cut all doll patterns out in twos- so my dolls can have one and I have one to donate.

KitnRose
star
KitnRose
Intermediate
Member since 6/18/03
Send Message

Date: 1/14/14 4:10 PM

I own some AG clothes bought from a craft show over a decade ago so, yes, there are people who'll buy them.Honestly I wouldn't use the big 4 patterns even if there weren't the moral grey area because the fit and shape of them are pretty iffy. A few diamonds but not many. The AG patterns themselves are much better for seeing how they manage to scale down the fashions without making them look like chunky doll clothes.

I've made my own sloper for my dolls and it took all of maybe an hour and drafting from that is really a lot of fun. Great way to try out techniques without using much fabric! I see a real opening in the historical clothing area, especially for the dolls who've been retired (Samantha, Kirstin, Felicity, Molly) and for expanding the wardrobes of the existing girls.

The dresses I bought those many years ago were a victorian Christmas dress for Samantha and a reproduction Gone With The Wind dress (Scarlett's bbq dress) with a nice crinoline to give it the poof it needed. I still have them.

------
Kit
"Never underestimate the power of the right dress!" - drsue
"Hyu gots to know how to sveet tok de costumers, dollink" - Girl Genius, 11-24-08

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/14/14 6:14 PM

I have a friend who sold them on Etsy. Hers were really cute and detailed. I hadn't seen her for a while and asked how it was going and she said the market was really competitive and the lower priced items sold the best.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

PollyBee9
PollyBee9  Friend of PR
Member since 9/23/06
Send Message

Date: 1/15/14 10:29 AM

I love making clothes for the 18 inch dolls and do a few craft fairs a year just for fun and to also promote my in-home sewing lessons. It is great for using up leftover fabric and notions and they work up quickly. Take a look at www.pixiefaire.com at their doll patterns. They will give persmission to sell for profit if you ask for it but you must have something attached to each garment stating it is one of their patterns and you are a "Liberty Jane Partner." I made a simple business card and attach it with a pretty ribbon. These patterns fit so much better and many are extremely easy to sew. I find a lot of the Big 4 patterns for the dolls don't fit very well. Just my opinion.... I also put some of my clothes on display at my local beauty shop and they sell like crazy around the holidays.

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/16/14 7:57 AM

There is definitely a market for AG doll clothes, if you price them lower than the ones in the store. Everyone complains about the $30+ price tag. The problem is, I am not willing to sew them for less than that. I value my hours too much. It all comes down to what you think your time is worth, and whether you can figure out how to produce them quickly.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> is there a market for AG Doll clothes?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Simplicity 2862

photo
by: Renren

Review
SewBaby Animal Wrappers Pattern

SewBaby Animal Wrappers Pattern

Buy Now
BRUSH FRINGE JACKET, a CD book by Kenneth King

BRUSH FRINGE JACKET, a CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.