Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Beginner's Forum > what is meant by ease in the sleeve ?? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
what is meant by ease in the sleeve ??
confusion regarding sleeves of shirt patterns for women
cweetgal
star
cweetgal
Advanced Beginner
INDIA
Member since 1/27/12
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 1/15/14 6:20 AM

Hello PR members..
I hasve a question today and I hope most of the experienced seamstress here won't find it stupid. I made two button down fullsleeve shirt for women recently. I got confused while setting in the sleeve. The length of the sleeve cap was longer the armhole at the bodice. And the pattern's finished output does not have any gathers at the shoulder. The instructions say ease the sleeve into the armhole of the bodice. What does this mean. Please help what does ease here mean . why is the sleeve cap measure more than the armhole of the bodice?

Datcat23
Datcat23
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 7/17/13

thumbsup 4 members like this.
Date: 1/15/14 6:35 AM

The sleeve cap measures more than the armhole, to allow ease of movement. There's probably a more complex answer than mine, but that is what I have always been told.

Now, easing the sleeve. Think about the seam itself. It isn't a flat seam, its curved. For a sleeve that is only a little bit bigger than the hole, pin the underarm section, pin the top notch in line with the shoulder seam, and then, having the body of the shirt on top, and the sleeve underneath, manipulate the fabric to line them both up, holding the arm hole curved as you do it. try to remember to not stretch the armhole or the sleeve as you do this.

If the sleeve is substantially bigger, run a short section of gathering stitch across the top of the sleeve inside the seam allowance. Pull up the gathering very slightly, and pin into place again, smoothing with the armhole seam curved rather than flat.

With both approaches, the sleeve will seem slightly gathered, but the seam line will be flat.

I hope that helps, and please remember, the only silly question, is the one you are too scared to ask. We were all learners once, and I think, we are all learners all the time, because there is always something new to learn. Best of luck.

------
the barefoot seamstress ..... smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
www.castley.net/datcat

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 5/11/03

Date: 1/15/14 8:31 AM

Here are some links that may help.

I usually use the crowding or the "ease plus" method described in this Pattern review tip

Here is a blog post about easing a sleeve Gorgeous things blog post

Here (hopefully) is a link to a book page about easing sleeves. You may have to go back or forward a page or 2 . If the link doesn't work if you google "crowding sleeve" you should get a google books link to a page in "Power Sewing Step by Step" by Sandra Betzina that shows the technique. P. 149 or 150 -- Attempt to link to google books...
-- Edited on 1/15/14 8:34 AM --
-- Edited on 1/15/14 8:35 AM --

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

cweetgal
star
cweetgal
Advanced Beginner
INDIA
Member since 1/27/12

In reply to Datcat23 <<

Date: 1/15/14 8:32 AM

Thanks so much for the reply DatCat23I am going to try out the tips you suggested.. It was a very annoying experience, after making up the entire shirt I realized this mismatch while setting in the sleeve. And since it was first time I initially thought I cut it out wrong. Thanks for clarifying.

cweetgal
star
cweetgal
Advanced Beginner
INDIA
Member since 1/27/12

In reply to Speech girl <<

Date: 1/15/14 8:40 AM

Wow ! The result of pinning method turned out with such a beautiful sleeve.. Thanks so much for linking it up here

MrsCharisma
starstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MN USA
Member since 2/1/13
online now

Date: 1/15/14 9:24 AM

I probably don't use that many pins, but as a beginner I've gotten pretty good about easing in my sleeves.

2 rows of basting stitches is a must
Gather the fabric then smooth it out, shaping it to well...look like a sleeve.
Pin. Pin. Pin.
Sew "in the circle" - meaning do not put the sleeve around the free arm of your machine.
Move slowly, taking care not to create puckers or gathers.
If you do get a pucker, you generally only need to undo the stitches in that general area, not the whole sleeve.

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

thumbsup 3 members like this.
Date: 1/15/14 10:16 AM

I have found using the "flat" method is much easier than sewing in the "round".

If the sleeve is not too full at the cap, I match and pin at the ends, center top and the notches then stitch with the fullest layer (sleeve) next to the feed dogs where they ease the sleeve into place.

Then seam the sleeve and the bodice.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

bunnypn
bunnypn
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 9/29/13

Date: 1/15/14 2:03 PM

I like to use both the double basting lines and lots of pins. I don't like the look of a sleeve sewn in the flat if it is woven. It works great for knit tops but on a woven top the set in sleeve gives a more tailored look. Sometimes, depending on the construction, a flat installation is the only way.

------
Bunny at http://lasewista.blogspot.com/
Formerly posting as Solosmocker.

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 12/2/08

Date: 1/16/14 1:37 AM

There are no stupid questions! I prefer to sew sleeves in flat, using pins, but I do not like gathered sleeve caps. I have broad shoulders for my size and don't wish to accentuate them. I cut the top of the sleeve cap to fit the armscye as demonstrated in my review Here.. Use the right arrows to continue from the magazine instructions.

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
CA
Member since 12/30/11
online now

Going to PR Weekend Austin!

thumbsup 4 members like this.
Date: 1/16/14 2:57 AM

I've started doing a combo of flat insertion sleeve and in-the-round. I flat set the sleeve cap between the single-front notch and the double-back notch. I use 2 rows of gathering stitches and tend to sew with no or few pins. My preference is to use my fingers and hands for control with the sleeve on top. I can encourage the sleeve curve and any fullness into the armhole with "ease plus"- putting my tall-man finger behind the presser foot to compact and ease in the sleeve cap into the armhole. After the cap part is set in, I close the body side seam and close the sleeve seam. Then I sew the sleeve into the armhole from the notch, thru the underarm seam and up the the other notch. The sleeve is now fully joined to the garment. Hope this is clear.

Before the actual stitching I make a sleeve mock up to test if the darn thing fits. It really burns me when I have a well set-in sleeve that is uncomfortable, unflattering or both. For my body, I do best with a sleeve cap that is tipped forward- meaning not the same shape front and back. I need more in back and less in front and different curves. If the cap height is too shallow for me I get drag lines and can't move comfortably. A test "muslin" sleeve helps me trouble shoot before cutting my fashion fabric. From practice and mess ups, I kinda know what to look for.

Most of what I've said here applies to wovens, with knits being more forgiving. Still, I want a knit sleeve back and front cap shaped differently- not identical.

And also, I try to get the bodice fit fully worked out without sleeves. When that's accomplished, I add the sleeves. Any quirks on the body fit will only be aggravated once the sleeve is set in. Then I find it confusing to diagnose where the problem is- the body fit or the sleeve. One can resort to knitting nice stretchy sweaters!

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> what is meant by ease in the sleeve ??

Merchants on PR
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Bust Adjustments
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Bust Adjustments

Online Sewing Classes
Altering Pants
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Pants

Vogue Patterns 1292 skirt
photo
Review by Mahogany S... on 10/16/12
Read Review

Sewing Workshop Zona Jacket Pattern
Sewing Workshop Zona Jacket Pattern

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)
Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

Details
Price: $5.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Popover Sundress (FREE!)
Popover Sundress (FREE!)

Details
Price: $0
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver + S Art Museum Vest + Trousers Digital Pattern (5-12)
Oliver + S Art Museum Vest + Trousers Digital Pattern (5-12)

Details
Price: $15.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Kwik Sew 3341
photo
Review by LM2HYD on 2/22/13
Read Review

Kwik Sew 3473 Pattern
Kwik Sew 3473 Pattern

Details
Price: $11.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCalls 6941 Pattern ( Size 4-6-8-10-12 )
McCalls 6941 Pattern ( Size 4-6-8-10-12 )

Details
Price: $18.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN