SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Fabric cost ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Fabric cost
How much do you spend for a garment.
kajero
kajero  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/15/14 4:01 PM

I have been looking at fabric at on line stores. I see a lot of fabric I love, but it seems so expensive.

How much do you spend per yard at these fabric stores? Do you ever buy the $25-$50 per yard fabrics? If you do, how to build your confidence to even cut the fabric for your garment?

------
Kathy

My Personal Blog: kathysthreads.wordpress.com
My sewing dream: Make a really great fitting pair of pants!

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

In reply to kajero <<
thumbsup 13 members like this.

Date: 1/15/14 4:10 PM

Everyone has a different budget. If the fabric seems too expensive to you, it probably is expensive. It's important to spend what you are comfortable spending. Some people will say you get what you pay for and while that is true to some extent, if you shop carefully you can find some great deals on quality fabric. The more experience you gain, the easier it will be for you to recognize quality fabric. Just so you know, sometimes you can find the same fabric at so-called discount vendors that might be selling for high prices elsewhere.

You build confidence by doing. The more you sew, the more you will be comfortable cutting into the fabric. Many people make a practice garment out of inexpensive ($1 - $2 per yard) fabric to check fit and practice technique before cutting into their expensive fabric.

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

MrsCharisma
starstarstarstar
MrsCharisma  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/1/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/15/14 4:20 PM

As a newer sewer (hey, I'm a fellow Minnesotan too!!); I live by FabricMart sales. Seriously. Sometimes you get something that isn't great but it has been really nice to use such a wide range of fabrics (wool, wool blends, ponte knits, jersey knits, cottons, etc) and I think the most expensive fabric I've ever purchased was around $8/yard. Some (few!) of my garments became unwearable due to fabric choice but I really do wear LOTS of stuff that I've made in the last year (wearing a top and jacket right now).

If you're near the twin cities, SR Harris in Brooklyn Park is FABULOUS.

------
Nakisha
www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com
Singer Talent 3321 | Brother 1034D

My Big 4 Sizing: Medium | Tops 14/16 | Pants 18 | Skirts 16/18.

My Measurements: 36 HB | 38.5 FB | 34 W | 44 Hip

kajero
kajero  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/12
Send Message

In reply to MrsCharisma <<

Date: 1/15/14 5:45 PM

I live in New Hope, about 8 miles or so from SR Harris. SR Harris is a terrible place . . . for me to go to! I spend so much money there. LOL. I don't mind paying $8-$15 a yard for fabric I can feel and touch. I bought some knits I fell in love with only to go home and find the pattern I was going to use said, "not suitable knits."

------
Kathy

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 5/11/03
online now
Send Message

In reply to kajero <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/15/14 6:01 PM

I have bought the $25 fabric only once, a linen cotton brocade. I bought 1.5 yards and got a fabulous skirt. I don't think $38 is horribly expensive for what I got. It was a designer fabric:the designer charged $400 for her skirts in the same fabric.

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

kajero
kajero  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 9/8/12
Send Message

In reply to frame <<

Date: 1/15/14 6:18 PM

Quote: frame

You build confidence by doing. The more you sew, the more you will be comfortable cutting into the fabric. Many people make a practice garment out of inexpensive ($1 - $2 per yard) fabric to check fit and practice technique before cutting into their expensive fabric.

I do sew muslins or toiles as they say. In fact, I just sewed my 6th muslin for the "Pants Fitting Techniques" Craftsy Class. I finally found someone who would help me fit the muslin for the 7th try. Fabric costs for my muslins is low right now if I don't mind using fabric from my stash which greatly increased with a $10 purchase.
I went to an estate sale made an offer and bought nearly 90 yards of fabric for $10 -- and that included the plastic storage box. The gal obviously didn't know what she was selling. The fabrics on top of the box were not at all impressive. I didn't even know what I bought until I got it home. Part of the collection includes yards of quilting fabrics (I don't quilt), 7 yards of what I think is some kind of linen, 7 yards of a beautiful flowery designer fabric (the print is gorgeous but it may be too big for someone as short as I am), 7 yards of some kind of outdoor fabric that I don't have a clue what it is used for, and more and more.
Wow, I got my $10 worth. I haven't gotten over the guilt feelings yet. I should have paid much more.

------
Kathy

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

In reply to kajero <<
thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 1/15/14 6:41 PM

That quilting fabric will be perfect for muslins/toiles. :)

Don't feel guilty. I'm sure the estate was happy to find a buyer for the fabric.

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/04
Send Message

In reply to frame <<

Date: 1/15/14 7:06 PM

At least they didn't throw it away!

Years ago, on a quilting chat group, a member told a story about visiting a couple she knew who were settling Mom's estate. Mom had a huge stash of quilting and other fabric: boxes and boxes and boxes in the garage and elsewhere, which the wife (who obviously did not quilt or sew and also had no clue) interpreted as dirty "junk" that her silly mother-in-law had collected and she threw it away. She was so happy to get that filthy stuff out of the house.

The writer of the story said that she couldn't bring herself to explain to the woman the value of the fabric, and wished she had gotten there before everything was tossed. (Even at $10 a box, it was worth something).

To this day, I think about that story and it makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck - it's a sewing horror story to me.

CMC

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 1/15/14 7:08 PM

Most of my range is $3-6 a yard, and like Mrs Charisma, I do FM sales.

I go upper end to 8-15 a yard... but not often. Most of the time I can find what I want on sale even at those prices, and then the former is the price I pay, so it's a win win for me.

As to $25 a yard fabric..um no. I have a 2 year old and I can buy out of season to get it cheaper.

Garments price averages between $10-$50 depending. Kid's clothes is the same range, but she gets $150+ boutique dresses. DH's are $30-70, but his are $100-300 retail.

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to kajero <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 1/15/14 7:32 PM

Yes, I do buy the more expensive fabric but not all the time. YOu'll notice that I am an advanced sewer and I've been sewing for a long time and I sew well enough to sew good fabric and not be intimidated. That doesn't mean that I buy cheap fabric, but I am picky and would rather buy less than buy poor quality. But I also look for sales from sites that I trust to have high quality. I am on email lists for my favorite sites so I can take advantage of sales. I bought during the end of year sales and bought some beautiful pieces that I wouldn't have bought otherwise. Fabric Mart is a good one to have on email as their sales can be very good. I have bought silks that I've used for linings when I found them deeply discounted. Emmaonesock and Marcy Tilton have special deals every week that are worth checking out. I bought about 10 yards of Marc Jacobs denim from Mood at 50%. Good prices at reputable sites are available. Eliot Berman has very good deals on expensive fabric as well. Gorgeous fabrics has frequent sales too. So look around and get on mailing lists.
-- Edited on 1/15/14 7:36 PM --

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Fabric cost

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

Sewing Workshop Zona Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Zona Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Gracie Handbag

Gracie Handbag

Buy Now
Butterick 4132

photo
by: MrsCharism...

Review

Pattern

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.