SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > I am sooo in love with the internet for sewing advice ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
I am sooo in love with the internet for sewing advice
Mangosteen25
Mangosteen25
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/6/14
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 1/20/14 7:06 AM

I found an oop McCall's pattern at the op shop that I wanted to make up. McCall's 3565 Stripe it Rich. Tops, dress and skirt.

I didn't realise at the time it only goes up to medium and I need the large. I just found a totally wonderful set of instructions on the Burda website on sizing a pattern up or down. Problem solved. Going to make a test garment first with basted seams. I have learned the importance of basting of late!

http://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/make-a-pattern-larger-or-smaller

jmosew
jmosew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 1/20/14 7:44 AM

It is definitely Pattern Review and the internet in general that brought me back to garment sewing. I would never have had the courage or the knowledge to hack away at patterns, trace, do flat pattern measuring, sew knits, believe that I could make successful alterations, or even to use a rotary cutter to cut out my garment fabrics (that was a real "duh" moment considering that I've made a fair number of quilts!)

All the things I find out also send me back to the books for more detail sometimes, but in general I love the internet.

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/20/14 12:50 PM

Agree wholeheartedly!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 1/20/14 2:44 PM

Didn't have the luxury of blogs and forums during my early years.......oh, wait a minute.....there wasn't any Internet.

Sewing shows on TV did help. One of my favorite memories was a very young Kenneth D. King demo sewing on a Singer while a Mrs. "Beauty Queen Thing" did all the talking. Guess who is remembered and who is not! Love guys who sew!

-- Edited on 1/20/14 2:45 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 1/20/14 3:04 PM

Quote: PattiAnnJ
Didn't have the luxury of blogs and forums during my early years.......oh, wait a minute.....there wasn't any Internet.

When I started sewing Youtube and blogging were in their infancy. I was just telling a new sewing friend with whom I've been sharing tips and tricks that I feel like newbie sewers these days are getting the longer end of the stick because there's so much more information/resources online now. It took me about 5 years of off and on searching on the web, in books, etc., for better techniques on how to turn a very crisp collar point.

It's great to pool together knowledge and experience and share them!

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

Mangosteen25
Mangosteen25
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 1/6/14
Send Message

In reply to jmosew <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/20/14 4:02 PM

Quote: jmosew
It is definitely Pattern Review and the internet in general that brought me back to garment sewing. I would never have had the courage or the knowledge to hack away at patterns, trace, do flat pattern measuring, sew knits, believe that I could make successful alterations, or even to use a rotary cutter to cut out my garment fabrics (that was a real "duh" moment considering that I've made a fair number of quilts!)

All the things I find out also send me back to the books for more detail sometimes, but in general I love the internet.

Oh yes, this site has been helping me along no end. I so appreciate everyone's willingness to share their amazing knowledge.
GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/20/14 7:37 PM

Would you be talking about Nancy Anne Fleming, Miss America, 1961? I talked with her not long after she was crowned---yes, I was young---and had some workshops with her years later at sewing shows. She's a very nice lady.

For her talent competition in the Miss America contest she did a reverse strip, wearing clothes she had sewn. She said that since she didn't have any real talents, she would try that. It worked!

Adding: she had her own TV show for awhile
-- Edited on 1/20/14 7:37 PM --

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

RedRockin
RedRockin  Friend of PR
Beginner
Colorado USA
Member since 6/4/10
Send Message

Date: 1/21/14 9:35 PM

I also appreciate the wealth of resources available on the internet, but especially here. There are experts here that have answers for everything!

(GIbutterfly, I can totally relate to your sig line)

Soday
Soday
Advanced Beginner
Member since 12/25/13
Send Message

Date: 1/21/14 11:46 PM

I definitely would not have made as much progress as I did if it weren't for the internet. I am so happy for the knowledge available online.

I graduated with a bachelor's degree in biology, and so far I haven't been able to find a job. However, I started sewing a few months before I graduated. What was really fulfilling was that I was able to show something (garments, accessories) for the research I did in sewing, versus a piece of paper for college.

I've been told I should consider becoming a sew-at-home seamstress. I want to be able to sew for a living, but I have no idea how to start. I don't really do alterations; I just make clothing from patterns.

I'm sorry, I went off topic. Overall, I'm glad I learned so much about sewing through the internet. I hope to make all my clothing this year, as well as learn more tips and tricks!

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to RedRockin <<

Date: 1/24/14 9:05 PM

Quote: RedRockin
(GIbutterfly, I can totally relate to your sig line)

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> I am sooo in love with the internet for sewing advice

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Butterick 5640

photo
by: Aurelie

Review
StyleArc Ella Frill Knit Cardi

photo
by: CissieW

Review
SewBaby The Sleeve Saver Bib Pattern

SewBaby The Sleeve Saver Bib Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Eco Market Tote Pattern

Favorite Things Eco Market Tote Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.