SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Pressing station for quilters ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pressing station for quilters
Need some ideas
Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 1/20/14 11:00 AM

I HAVE to get a better way to use my very limited pressing area in my sewing room. Right now I just have a plain old ironing board, which makes pressing larger quilts a challenge.

I have seem some awesome big board pressing areas, but they are all up against a wall on cabinet type foundations.

I do NOT want to try to fight a huge quilt on a board smashed against a wall or have it all pooled on my feet. I want to be able to use BOTH sides of the pressing board.

So...HOW to make that happen on a pressing area that is in limited space? The 2 ends needs to be some sort of cabinet type base to hold it up.

I am stumped.

------
Cathryn

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Cat n Bull <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/20/14 11:03 AM

A "Big Board" or a generic clone is not an option?

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Doris W. in TN <<

Date: 1/20/14 11:06 AM

It is Doris, but I would really LOVE some storage on the ends. Right now I have plastic bins stacked on the floor and hate looking at them.

------
Cathryn

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

Date: 1/20/14 11:08 AM

I am in the same boat as you -- I use my ironing board for large pressing projects. For pressing while I'm piecing I have a June Tailor Cushioned Quilter's Square 'n Blocker that I love. It sits at the end of my cutting table. Unfortunately, my sewing room is crammed full. I even have to set my ironing board up in the hall temporarily and than store it in the closet until I need it again.

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

Date: 1/20/14 11:09 AM

How you want it to be? Why do you need two sides? It's very easy to make your own. You can make one that you can lay on your cutting table or ironing board. We used an older counter top without the back splash, added three layers of high loft poly batting by stapling it underneath and then cotton on it. Once the batting was smashed by ironing, it is perfect. You can use a piece of plywood and do the same. Cut it down to size, add batting/cotton top, secure to sides then you can use both sides.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

Date: 1/20/14 11:12 AM

Ok, I was posting my reply when you did yours to Doris. Is your husband handy in the carpentry dept? If so, then find a couple of cabinets that will fit your needs and add the homemade board I described on top. Secure it to the cabinets. Voila! A large, pressing station.

------
~Diana~

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 1/20/14 11:18 AM

The Ikea Expedit cases are very very nice. I have seen pressing stations made with the 4-cube version on the ends and a Big Board on top. You can also put them side by side so the shelves run the length of the board.

Expedit

I only work one side of my big board and do not have any issues with managing large quilts this way... I know we all have our own way to do things but if space is a luxury you do not have then maybe using the pressing station from one side makes sense. Sorry I don't have a better solution. Btw, My big board is 24 inches wide.
-- Edited on 1/20/14 11:21 AM --

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 1/20/14 11:21 AM

Thanks for the ideas Diana!

I want to be able to use both sides so that when I am pressing a BIG quilt while constructing it, I can let it fall over the back. Right now I just pull the ironing board out from the wall a bit so the quilt has some place to go.

If the board was permanently fixed to cabinets and couldn't be moved, where does all that quilt go when you need to press the rows as you add them? My current quilt will be 84"x84". not the biggest I've made, but still that is a LOT of material to need space for.

And my husband would rather cut the grass with toddler scissors than work with wood. I can probably talk him into it, but it would be torturous for him! So it needs to be SIMPLE.

For pressing small stuff, I prefer a plain piece of wood lightly covered with a birdseye diaper. I can get my seams nice and flat with minimal distortion.

------
Cathryn

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<

Date: 1/20/14 11:25 AM

I have been really looking at these Warbler!

So how do you press large quilts if you can't drape any of it over the side?

Maybe the smaller width of my ironing board is making me have a hard time visualizing pressing big stuff on it. 24" is a lot more room! I don't even think I could fit 24" comfortably in the space I have.

------
Cathryn

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/20/14 11:28 AM

Quote:
I want to be able to use both sides so that when I am pressing a BIG quilt while constructing it, I can let it fall over the back.
I was wondering how you would use both sides of the pressing board, meaning top and bottom

Why not find a good used solid wood table that you can easily pull out for your quilts. You can get the slider thingies to put under the feet to make it easy to move. Make the top into a giant pressing station. You can store your totes underneath.

------
~Diana~

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Pressing station for quilters

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

McCall's 5214

photo
by: wildbluest...

Review

Pattern

Sew Liberated Mariposa Tee Pattern

Sew Liberated Mariposa Tee Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop West End Top & Pants

Sewing Workshop West End Top & Pants

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.