SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Singer Stylist 9985 Video ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Singer Stylist 9985 Video
Link to my video demoing the new Singer 9985
kcurtis
kcurtis  Friend of PR
Advanced
Colorado USA
Member since 12/15/12
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 1/22/14 0:12 AM

As promised here is my first demo of the new Singer 9985.

Runtime: 34:18

Link to the Youtube Version

Link to the Vimeo Version

My first impression is that this machine is better than both the 9960 or 9970. Of course it cost more, so it should be right?

I love the touch screen. The straight stitch quality is excellent too. Something that home machines at this price point miss in my opinion. This machines' straight stitch is comparable to my industrial lockstitch machine.

The 7 point box feed system is nice. Overall, I am very impressive thus far for the dollar value of the machine. I'll forge forward and update this thread with any issues I discover along the why, both good and bad.

The only thing I didn't sew on it so far is leather. I'll try that tomorrow. I had to get back to work on finishing up some drapes for installation in the morning.

Fire away with any questions you may have and I'll be happy to answer them as best I can.

------
Just a hack that sews for a living. ;)

fanniemooring
fanniemooring
Advanced
North Carolina USA
Member since 1/22/14
Send Message

In reply to kcurtis <<

Date: 1/22/14 0:59 AM

Does this machine do embroidery like initials? Like the fonts and does it do like 3 initials side by side? Can not find this out anywhere. Would like to know because I would like to do embroidery as will' but can not figure out how to do side by side letters and how large are the letters?

kcurtis
kcurtis  Friend of PR
Advanced
Colorado USA
Member since 12/15/12
Send Message

In reply to fanniemooring <<

Date: 1/22/14 1:27 AM

It can do letters, words etc... It just does very simple lettering and is very limiting at that. You can't change the size or length. Here is a quick demo for you to see it stitching a few words and the end results:

Lettering Demo

------

KPM
star
KPM  Friend of PR
Advanced
Hawaii USA
Member since 1/18/07
Send Message

Date: 1/22/14 1:51 AM

It certainly is good of you to post these. FYI I could barely hear you in the You Tube version; the 2nd one was very much louder.

Since you asked, I'd love to see it stitch out a buttonhole in the next video, and perhaps a few decorative stitches. Seems like a nice machine with a good straight stitch so far. It would be nice if it had a knee lift, but maybe that will come with the 9990!

------
Let's just say all modern sms are well represented in my studio.

KPM
star
KPM  Friend of PR
Advanced
Hawaii USA
Member since 1/18/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/22/14 2:00 AM

FYI Amazon has this machine for just under $600 as a Prime listing.

------
Let's just say all modern sms are well represented in my studio.

kcurtis
kcurtis  Friend of PR
Advanced
Colorado USA
Member since 12/15/12
Send Message

Date: 1/22/14 2:14 AM

I have external speakers and I have to turn the volume all the way down to 20 out of 100 it is so loud. What kind of speakers are you listening through?

I'll create a buttonhole video next. Stay tuned.

------

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 1/22/14 2:36 AM

Great video - thank you!

------
Quilting up a storm!

kcurtis
kcurtis  Friend of PR
Advanced
Colorado USA
Member since 12/15/12
Send Message

Date: 1/22/14 11:09 AM

For those of you that are having problems hearing me I have increased the volume levels and I am updating the Vimeo version ONLY at this time. Youtube doesn't allow for updates or I would replace it as well. This is one of the reasons I prefer using Vimeo now. I will delete and replace the youtube version after I've verified this version addresses the issue.

Since it is full HD it will take it some time for Vimeo to reprocess it, so please allow about 2 hours hours after the time of this post to give it a try.

I wanted to let you know now because I am heading out for a while and it is uploading right now.

I am sorry for your inconvenience!

------

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
online now
Send Message

Date: 1/22/14 11:55 AM

Nice to see that this machine has manual pressure adjustment! The 9980 does not have this feature.

A nice feature taken from Pfaff and Viking: seeing the stitch size change on the screen as you make adjustments.
-- Edited on 1/22/14 12:06 PM --

MaryL

MaryL
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 1/28/03
Send Message

Date: 1/22/14 2:12 PM

Thank you very much for the great video, Kevin. Looks like a nice machine for the $. I watched the youtube version on my laptop without external speakers and had no problem hearing you. The touch screen looks to be larger than I initially thought. No stylist needed. Is there extra lighting in the bed? Looks nice and bright.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Singer Stylist 9985 Video

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

New Look 6755

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
Bluegingerdoll The Peggy Skirt Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Peggy Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated The Emmeline Apron

Sew Liberated The Emmeline Apron

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 8390

photo
by: imsewcrazy

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.