SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Dear Warbler, I just bought EQ ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Dear Warbler, I just bought EQ
Afraid of getting too deep into quilting, but. . . .
LisaInAlabama
star
LisaInAlabama  Friend of PR
Beginner
AL USA
Member since 7/10/13
Send Message

Date: 1/22/14 1:15 AM

Dear Warbler,

I've looked through the PR message boards and everywhere I read about EQ, I see you posting, so in my mind you're the EQ expert I will be following around trying to pick up bread crumbs of knowledge.

I just bought an EQ bundle from another lady. Since she upgraded her EQ5 to 6 and then 7, they told her she had to sell it as a bundle. So I registered the transfer of license today (by the way the EQ customer service folks are the nicest, most helpful customer service people I have *ever* dealt with. It was a pleasure.) Then I installed EQ7.

I am such a beginner that I'm not sure what to do other than look through the 5000 copyright-free block patterns to see if my grandmother's favorites are in there. (The one she called Double Star is in there under the name Carpenter's Circle.)

Do you have any advice for a newbie who is just getting back into simple quilting after lots of years?

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

------
Beginner, maybe Advanced Beginner
I've been doing machine embroidery for 10 years, but I'm always a beginner because I'm always trying to things I don't yet know how to do!

UFOs completed in 2014: 5
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 6

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to LisaInAlabama <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/22/14 8:49 AM

I'm not Warbler, but I'd start with watching the videos so you can learn how to use the program. I've owned it for at least a year and enjoy designing simple quilts with it. I buy Moda fabrics and I can download the .jpg fabric samples from Moda. Then I import them into EQ7 and can design my quilt with the fabric I am going to use. Have fun!!

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 1/22/14 11:53 AM

Lisa, Congradulations. I concur with Sewbusy, Watch the videos and play. My best recommendation for EQ is to not let it languish between uses as it is easy to forget. I play with mostly my DJ version as that's the project I am focusing on currently. I have only designed a couple of quilts with EQ but have not made them. I love it for figuring yardage and so forth. Please don't let the program intimidate you as then it'll be a wasted investment. Now if you are looking for EQ to be your teacher for quilt making then you will have a steep road to follow. I recommend in addition you get some good basic quilt making books Like the Harriet Hargrave series Quilter's Academy or Start Quilting by Alex Anderson. Also Fons and Porter has a good guide as well. Always post questions as you find them. This is a great tool I hope you have fun playing as I do.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Connie F
Connie F
Advanced
NC USA
Member since 4/8/13
Send Message

Date: 1/22/14 12:55 PM

Our LQS has just started EQ classes. We will be meeting monthly, have "homework" between classes and building upon what we learned the previous month......Maybe I can pass along some ideas as we go along.......That reminds me I better get the program loaded on my laptop before class!

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 1/22/14 8:14 PM

Another thought for learning basic quilt making is to take a Craftsy class. The 2013 Block of the Month Class with Laura Nownes is also a great beginner class. Teaches all the fundamentals.

------

LisaInAlabama
star
LisaInAlabama  Friend of PR
Beginner
AL USA
Member since 7/10/13
Send Message

Date: 1/23/14 1:08 AM

Thanks, everyone! I saw the tip on the videos, but didn't have time yesterday to start them.

SewBusy63, I didn't know you could do download the fabric images! I love Moda! Thank you!

Warbler, you have a good thought -- I think I need to add another 30 minutes a day challenge and make it EQ. And the Craftsy Class is a great idea, too. If I only didn't have 7 of the things I've already bought that I still need to watch! Not enough time in the day for all my 30 minute challenges!

I did hand quilting with my grandmother for years, but haven't touched it since she died. I'll probably be more about the machine than she was. I know some of the basics, but there's always more to learn. Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations!

Connie F, thanks! I'd love that! Yes, please pass along anything that occurs to you as you're learning! I know at least one lady at my guild who uses it. Maybe I could suggest something similar. Great idea!

------
Beginner, maybe Advanced Beginner
I've been doing machine embroidery for 10 years, but I'm always a beginner because I'm always trying to things I don't yet know how to do!

UFOs completed in 2014: 5
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 6

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/23/14 9:24 AM

I am taking a class at my dealers and the instructor had a day where we could come in a use her EQ7 loaded with the information from the quilt designers to see different color schemes.

I did NOT like that one bit. I just can't visualize that way, and I really do not enjoy computer work. The instructor had it all set up too, I just had to change the colors.

I ended up quitting before I had a color scheme picked. Give me paper and colored pencils any day!

What help me far more was the little sample piece she had made. I was able to picture that with different colors far more than I could try to figure out what a computer image was going to look like.

I AM glad I had the opportunity to see the program, because now I know it will not be very useful for me. I can save my money and buy more fabric! Or thread.....or put towards my Sashiko machine....

------
Cathryn

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/23/14 11:19 AM

Cat, you make a great point, we all have our own way in which we learn, see and do. I am such a visual and tactile learner. The EQ videos were very helpful.

------

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
NC USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<

Date: 1/23/14 11:30 AM

Yes! And for expensive purchases it really is awesome to get to try it out first.

I have been contemplating this software for a while now, I am so glad I got to try it out.

------
Cathryn

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/23/14 11:42 AM

I had EQ4 but couldn't upgrade to 5 so I went with that program for a while until an unrelated computer crash. Back then one could not reinstall the software on more than one computer... EQ recognized it was to their benefit to allow users to load on multiple machines and to sell the license agreement to other users. It literally took me years to decide to get EQ7. I am glad I did... Now I need to take full advantage of it.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Dear Warbler, I just bought EQ

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Burda 7364

photo
by: Lisette

Review
Simplicity 4885

photo
by: pdiddly

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Waterfall Pattern Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Waterfall Pattern Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 203 Pattern

Petite Plus 203 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.