SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Frixion Pens for Marking Fabric ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Frixion Pens for Marking Fabric
Marks reappear - test before you use
PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 1/22/14 2:54 PM

I just tested the Frixion pen on some flannel I am making a quilt out of. I marked two samples of flannel with the pen. I ironed one with a hot steam iron and the other I ironed with a hot dry iron - marks disappeared on both samples. I then put each sample in a ziploc in the snow outside (4 degrees F) for 1/2 hour. A very faint outline of marking reappeared on both samples. I then handwashed each sample in cool water with soap, rinsed and put in the dryer until each sample was completely dry, ink appears to be gone at this point. The samples were both placed back outside (each in individual ziplocs) and the marks haven't reappeared.

eta: I can see a trace of the Black Frixion Pen on the samples after being washed and dried. I would recommend you test when you consider using the pens if it will be in an obvious spot.
-- Edited on 1/22/14 2:54 PM --
-- Edited on 1/22/14 11:10 PM --

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

In reply to PattyGee <<

Date: 1/22/14 3:44 PM

That's good to know. I'm going to try mine out soon.

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

In reply to Sew Nanny <<

Date: 1/22/14 5:17 PM

I use them all the time on seams, notches and dots in garments, but it would have been glaring on the plain quilt square. I have used a sliver of soap on the bust darts to mark them that really works. Kathy Ruddy's Craftsy class on Pants gave that tip. Works really well.

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

Millimous
Millimous  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 12/13/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/22/14 5:20 PM

Thanks for testing for us all!

------
Carol
Bernina 580, APQS Millennium long arm quilting machine, Phluffy my Pfaff Creative Sensation, Elna 745 overlock,

Brotherlover
star
Brotherlover
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/7/07
Send Message

Date: 1/22/14 6:19 PM

they will reappear if you don't wash

------
Brother XL-3500i
SQ-9050
Dreamweaver VM6200D

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 1/23/14 1:01 AM

I bought a few and was not impressed in using to mark up muslin garments.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/23/14 9:18 AM

I bought a variety pack a couple of months ago. I did a quick test using the red and another color (can't rememberon a dark brown Moda. When steam ironed, the red did not fully disappear but the other one did. I plan on using them since they are perfect for stencils but will test first to see which color disappears the best on the fabric I will be using.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 1/23/14 9:59 AM

You have to watch using them on dark fabrics and ironing also. I had a dark blue backround and used them to do dots for embroidery placement. Well they left white dots behind, however luckily the fabric also have shimmers so it blended in ok. I'll stick to chalk.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/23/14 10:28 AM

Definitely do not use these pens on a project that will not be washed!

The stuff in the ink that disappears with heat is a gel. Steam will dissipate a lot of that gel, and washing will remove it entirely.

The gel is what you see on dark fabrics when you use heat to remove. The gel is still in the fibers.

It may not be completely removed by a quick sink wash, but a good long soak and wash cycle in your machine will remove it.

------
Cathryn

kitphantom
kitphantom  Friend of PR
Advanced
New Mexico USA
Member since 1/6/11
Send Message

Date: 1/23/14 10:51 AM

I use them a bit in garment construction, but only in areas that will not be visible once the garment is finished. Personally, I would not use them on quilts. I've been involved in quilting enough years (25 or so, longer if you count watching my mother make them back in the '70s) that I've seen many products come and go. It is sad to see marks on quilts that are apparently not removable, or have reappeared.

------
Bernina: 910, 930, 180, 440
Bernina 1150MDA
Bernette 004D serger
Vintage/classic Singer: 201, 301, 221

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Frixion Pens for Marking Fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

THE COLLARS - A CD Book by Kenneth King

THE COLLARS - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Sew Liberated Reading Pillow

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.