SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Machine Embroidery > my embroidery downloads are everywhere ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
my embroidery downloads are everywhere
how do you keep them organized
diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/22/14 3:46 PM

My downloaded embroideries are all over 2 computers and a couple of memory sticks. The files are unorganized and I can't find half my downloads.
Any help or suggestions to get this mess straightened out will be appreciated.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Harriet P.
Harriet P.
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 6/30/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/22/14 5:24 PM

Hi, I am not the best at organizing my designs. First, I make a main folder that says Harriet's designs. Then I make sub folders for the different types of designs that I might like to download. If I like a new category of designs, I make another folder for those. I also have a sub folder for Embroidery Library designs. I might have the same designs in different categories. I have a laptop and a desktop. I only have my designs and any programs for embroidering designs on my desktop. I do not store any designs on my thumb drives unless I plan to use those designs in the near future or whenever I want, but I always have the designs downloaded in my main folder on my desktop computer. My problem is that I start out downloading the designs in the proper sub folder, but then I get lazy and just download them into my Harriet's design folder. Now there are many loose one in the main folder, but at least, they are all in once computer under my main heading. Harriet

Brotherlover
star
Brotherlover
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/7/07
Send Message

In reply to diane s <<

Date: 1/22/14 6:16 PM

Okay this is how I have it and it took me a while to organize it this way I have a main folder on google drive with all my designslabeled embroidery designs. Within this folder I have folders with categoreis, FSL, ITH, applique, Fonts, Cristmas, quilting, sewing, animal, bugs, easter, st. aptricks, floral, ocean, food, you get the idea. within those folders I have folders with the design grouping name(example would be I purchase a design pack at emblibrary called jacobean floral, it would go in the floral folder, and then in the jacobean floral folder). This makes finding a design easier. I then make it even easier to not have to figure out what zip it is on by categorizing my zips. One zip for quilting, one zip for ITH/FSL, one zip for applique/baby theme, one zip for fonts, one zip for general designs which I will be spliting up into 2 zips at some point like holiday/seasonal, and maybe a nature zip for plant and animal related designs but have not done so yet, but I have found it so easy to find my designs this way. I am still interested in getting thumbnailer so I can visually see my designs without opening my software or sticking thumbdrive into my machine and shuffling through. I also label the back of my zip with my label maker so I would know which zip held what
-- Edited on 1/22/14 6:17 PM --

------
Brother XL-3500i
SQ-9050
Dreamweaver VM6200D

jzygail
star
jzygail  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 11/2/06
Send Message

In reply to diane s <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/22/14 6:33 PM

Personally, I would start out with the flash drives you KNOW have designs on them. Create a file on your computer and copy the files into that file. and then over the course of a week or two, look for all the places that *might* have files; if you find any, copy them over to this new files.

Once you have the bulk of them organized in one spot, then from then on out if you come across any designs elsewhere, either copy them immediately or put a post-it note near the computer with the location of the files until you transfer them over. While you're in this process, set aside 5 or 15 minutes, one time a week, where you deliberately sit down and transfer over any files you found the previous week to the new drive location.

I have a similar issue, in that when I first bought my embroidery machine, I was using a laptop. But the laptop died last fall and my son built me a new desktop machine (I decided to accept the inevitable--I'm too hard on laptops--that was the 3rd laptop in 6 years that I'd killed) But because he built the machine for me, he was able to simply include the last two laptop hard drives in this desktop--completely intact--as additional drives on the new desktop, so I have full access to the embroidery designs that I bought before the laptop died.

The trick to your organization of your files will be to make the process a deliberate one and a realistic one. Don't think you're going to sort it all out in one sitting. For one, that will be frustrating to you. Do what you can find in an hour. Then make notes of where else you might look for files. Figure out which computer will be the main "embroidery" computer. Consolidate your files there.

And invest in a backup drive. and USE it. So if anything happens to that one computer, you'll have all your designs still. Backing up your consolidated files will be the last thing you do every time you have a work session of organizing your files. Do it EVERY TIME. Which is why you should carve out a specific time each week where you make the time to sit down and do this--don't try to jam this time in where ever it will fit. Because it will never fit. Believe me, I KNOW

Harriet P.
Harriet P.
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 6/30/05
Send Message

Date: 1/22/14 9:31 PM

Yes, using a backup external drive is also very important! In fact, backup everything on your hard drive about once a week. Harriet

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to diane s <<

Date: 1/22/14 10:08 PM

Burn your designs to a disk.
That what I do. Then label
Them.

-- Edited on 1/23/14 10:53 AM --

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

ReRe1
ReRe1
Intermediate
Arkansas USA
Member since 12/12/06
Send Message

Date: 1/22/14 10:42 PM

spoolsstash.com has a designfilefolder for free and it is awesome. You can add and name more folders to it. It already has listings.

------
ReRe1

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 1/23/14 1:10 AM

Mine are also in descriptive category folders. I have a Mac and use Stitch Buddy which lets me see them all as icons/images.
Once or twice a year I clean up my downloads and put them into a folder- or even 2. Mine are all stored on a dedicated computer and then a backup drive.
This year I found myself making more complex folders- not just things like bugs, fonts, animals, transportation, etc but for things like redwork, lace and ITH (in the hoop).

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/23/14 9:37 AM

So many good suggestions, first thing on my list is a back up hard drive. Then I'm going to look at some of the software mentioned, and try to get this mess in order.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 1/23/14 10:32 AM

If you have designs that have been downloaded from Embroidery Library, they have a tutorial for organizing them.

Otherwise, it is going to take time and I would start with file of categories and then work out subfolders from there.

Here is another software program and for another $20 you can add a font software program.

-- Edited on 1/23/14 10:34 AM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> my embroidery downloads are everywhere

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Butterick 5181

photo
by: SewingAlli...

Review

Pattern

Sewing Workshop Oasis Skirt Pattern

Sewing Workshop Oasis Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Patchwork Purse Pattern

SewBaby Patchwork Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.