SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Thread ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Thread
Newbe1
Newbe1
Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 1/23/14
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/23/14 10:32 AM

I just purchased a brother 1250d embroidery machine. They told me not to use coats and Clark thread. I purchased exquisite which works great but is pricey. On line metro is on sale for .75 per roll. Why the major difference. Is one thread better than the other.

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Newbe1 <<

Date: 1/23/14 10:58 AM

I've used coats Clark embroidery thread in
My machine . I have a pfaff vision and a 2140
Machine they work just fine in it.
I would buy some spools of each.
Give them a try.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/23/14 11:01 AM

Are you looking for sewing thread or embroidery thread?

I have used C&C sewing thread for many, many years and their embroidery thread for about 8 years.

C&C as well as Sulky brands of machine embroidery thread in black are weak and tend to shred if there is a lot of area to be covered with this color.

For machine embroidery, I prefer Madeira brand machine embroidery thread. But I also use Sulky if I already have the color I need. Same for C&C.

Mostly you need to be aware of the bobbin size the machine uses as well as the embroidery bobbin thread weight (both are addressed in the manual).

With any brand or model of sewing or embroidery machine that has the drop-in/horizontal bobbin, this area needs to be cleaned often. Check the maintenance section of the manual for the proceedure. It may be awkward at first, but will become easier each time it is done.

Enjoy the new machine, but take the time to apply each step of the manual as you learn each feature.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

jacqui583
jacqui583
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 11/25/13
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/23/14 11:08 AM

My mom always says to always buy good thread - otherwise you waste a lot of time rethreading broken thread and your clothes don't last. Our thread conversations never really went beyond that though so I'll be watching to see what others have to say about what makes a good thread and other than going by price, how do we know?

------
Jacqui

Phoebe (Pfaff Quilt Ambition 2.0)
Jenny (Janome Coverpro 1000cpx)
Sergio (Brother 1034D)
Betty (White 1505)

frame
star
frame
USA
Member since 2/19/04
Send Message

Date: 1/23/14 11:19 AM

I've used C&C thread both for sewing and for embroidery without any problems.

I'm surprised to hear your Brother dealer told you not to use it. Usually the Pfaff and Bernina dealers say not to use C&C. Ha! What sort of thread does your Brother dealer sell? I bet that's the kind they want you to purchase.

------
"framed" was taken
"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant." - Horton(Dr. Seuss)

Newbe1
Newbe1
Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 1/23/14
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 1/23/14 3:03 PM

I was mainly looking for embroidery thread but will also need sewing thread.
I appreciate the input

Newbe1
Newbe1
Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 1/23/14
Send Message

In reply to Newbe1 <<

Date: 1/23/14 3:06 PM

Dealer sells exquisite. They said c & c had a coating that would build up in the system

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 1/23/14 3:20 PM

Coats and Clark polyester embroidery thread (sold at places like Joann Fabric's and even Walmart sometimes) is the same thing, thread wise, as the commercial much larger cones of Coats Sylko thread, that factories and Commercial embroiderer's with multiple needle and multiple head embroidery machines often use too. So, if someone does not like it a particular machine, that could be, but if so, it's not because it's cheap or badly made thread at all either.

UrbanFool
UrbanFool  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/19/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/23/14 3:26 PM

I don't mind spending more for embroidery thread. When I started, I thought the machine would suck the thread up by the pound, but it really doesn't. I'd bought a few C&C colors in the beginning thinking I was saving money.

Now, I can see a real difference when I need to use a C&C color in the middle of my embroidery. It's used less and less because the edges of the design aren't as clean as when I stick to the Mettler and Isacord threads. I have some Sulky that I don't think I have a problem with, but they're mostly metallic and don't match the other threads anyway.

Metrosene isn't made for embroidery (and it's more expensive than the embroidery thread), but sometimes I really like its matte look. Especially for tone on tone designs on things like linen. That's a personal preference.

I try to not mix thread types in any one design. At first I didn't care, but now that makes my left eye twitch.

------
Kelly

Addierecoy
Addierecoy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Missouri USA
Member since 5/30/13
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 1/23/14 4:19 PM

AND, Brother actually recommends C&C bobbins for their multi-needle machines.

As to being coated, a lot of brands (including pricey ones) are coated with something, usually silicone.

I have picked up one spool of this when I was in desperate need of a certain color and couldn't make the trip, or wait for mail order, it seemed fine to me.

The thing is, C&C is actually quite expensive is purchased in small quantities.

Just see what works best in your machine.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Thread

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

Online Class
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Class Details

Burda 7547

photo
by: ClaireEmil...

Review

Pattern

Vogue Patterns 2934

photo
by: tanyamaile

Review
Making Patterns from Existing Garments - A CD book by Kenneth King

Making Patterns from Existing Garments - A CD book by Kenneth King

More Info
J Stern Designs The Tee Paper Pattern

J Stern Designs The Tee Paper Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.