SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > New to this... ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
New to this...
GixxerKitten
GixxerKitten
Beginner
VA USA
Member since 11/8/07
Send Message

Date: 1/23/14 3:18 PM

I'm new to embroidery. As a matter of fact, I'm so new that I had my first class on Saturday and have been staring at my machine since that day. I'm sure that I'm going to love it as soon as I get the hang of it. I have a Viking Designer Diamond and I'm quite overwhelmed.

I have soooooo many questions that have already been covered in so many other threads and I've tried to read as many of them as possible.

Question: During my learning process, is it safe to go with less expensive thread? There are some great deals on Amazon and eBay that I'm having a hard time overlooking because of the price. My theory is that I can't go wrong using less expensive thread during this learning process. I could be wrong and I know that often times you get what you pay for... How did you folks proceed in your learning process with the purchase of materials?

------
you want me to do what? with a sewing machine?

lkmbpk
lkmbpk
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 12/28/09
Send Message

In reply to GixxerKitten <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/23/14 4:31 PM

I would just buy a few colors of "good" thread to practice with. I bought some of the inexpensive thread on ebay for a Brother PE 750D that I use to have and it keep shredding and breaking. That can be very frustrating, especially when you're trying to learn how to use the machine.

------
Doo-doo-DOO-doo, Doo-doo-DOO-doo......
You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Internet!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/23/14 4:55 PM

Buy the good brands, but in just a few colors that you are fairly sure you would want on a garment or other item.

A spool of embroidery thread can last a pretty long time.

You do need to use a machine embroidery bobbin thread and these come in white and black. Check your manual for the weight needed for your machine.

And, purchase the right type of stabilizer for the fabric.

Embroidery Library has many project tutorials and a chart for selecting the right type of stabilizer for the fabric. Link

-- Edited on 1/23/14 4:57 PM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Brotherlover
star
Brotherlover
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 10/7/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/23/14 9:41 PM

I bought cheap thread and my machine uses it just fine. its up to you. If your machine is finicky with thread and some are you might be wasting money, but a lot of designs do have quite a few colors and when you get the thread sets you have a good start for doing projects without having to go out and buy thread for each project costing lots of money.. I paid about 50 dollars for 100 spools of thread most name brands are about 5 dollars a spool 50 dollars versus 500 dollars thats a lot of money. at 50 cents a spool thats not bad and even if its cheap, you can use it to test designs before you stitch them out with nice thread

------
Brother XL-3500i
SQ-9050
Dreamweaver VM6200D

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 1/24/14 5:36 AM

MetroEmb.com has great beginner thread and stabilizer prices. The 8x8 packs of 150 are budget friendly. I used them in my Janome and BL- no problems.
I even zig-zagged 2 pieces of stabilizer together for my bigger hoop when I was testing out how designs work.
Sometimes what happens with cheap threads is that they shred or nest underneath. There could be reasons other than the thread of course. So having more than one brand of thread will help you problem solve.
I bought a whole slew of colors in one brand. Then tried another. They have different characteristics and applications. You will do just fine getting a few colors in a few brands and see what works best. Its OK to mix brands in the same design. I usually try to keep it all poly or all rayon or all cotton though.
Organ embroidery needles online are generally the least expensive in bulk. They have worked out quite well for me.

The only thing I worry about with Amazon now is their quality. They seem to be substituting manufacturer seconds and rejects. That could apply to threads- it could be old or who knows what deal they found to be able to give you a good price.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NC USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

Date: 1/24/14 8:36 AM

I bought a selection of 260 threads (500m) for $128 off of Amazon and have had zero breakage with them so far. They were in a box that said "Embroidex" on them and are 40 wt polyester. I bought black and white bobbinfil off of Amazon as well and wound it myself with zero problems.

I've also bought the selections from MetroEmb and have been equally pleased. Those are actually cheaper than amazon, I believe, because you get 1000m per spool on the mini spools.

I also credit the lack of breakage with two other tips: 1.) use thread nets! (I bought 10 yards of it off of Amazon for ~$18 and trimmed it down to 2 1/2" for the spools I have) 2.) keep the speed low just after changing thread or when starting a design and then gradually increase it. I just got my embroidery machine (singer futura quintet) a couple of weeks ago and have been playing with it quite a bit- and loving every minute!

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
TX USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/24/14 8:54 AM

I agree with Patti. The spools last a long time. Once you are ready to stitch out designs for real, you will already have quality thread. Also, the best way to see how a design will turn out on the final item is to use the same type/weight of fabric, the same stabilizer, and the same thread. Many dealers have deals such as buy three/get one free or 20% off store notions/thread on days you take a class. Whatever thread you buy, get just one or two spools at first to make sure it is a good match for your machine. If it works without problems, then you'll feel better about paying for a sizable set.

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

GixxerKitten
GixxerKitten
Beginner
VA USA
Member since 11/8/07
Send Message

In reply to dmh1 <<

Date: 1/28/14 7:55 PM

Thanks for the "thread net" recommendation. I'll have to figure out what they are and then get some. I'm purchasing my 100 spools from the same vendor that sold you the 260 spools. Hopefully I will be pleased.

Where do I find "MetroEmb?"

------
you want me to do what? with a sewing machine?

Sewinglady1947
Sewinglady1947
Advanced
Member since 4/28/08
Send Message

Date: 1/28/14 8:42 PM

I bought a box from metro I also have two Vikings. I found if I use thread stand to lift my thread higher mine works fine. I also loosen the tension for the metro on my D1 and have no trouble Just search for metro thread. You can order a few spools to see if it will work for you.
-- Edited on 1/28/14 8:58 PM --

------
sewing grammy

jzygail
star
jzygail  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD USA
Member since 11/2/06
Send Message

Date: 1/29/14 1:53 AM

Quote: GixxerKitten
Thanks for the "thread net" recommendation. I'll have to figure out what they are and then get some. I'm purchasing my 100 spools from the same vendor that sold you the 260 spools. Hopefully I will be pleased.

Where do I find "MetroEmb?"

Just type "MetroEmb" in the URL line of your browser window, tack a ".com" onto the end of it and hit return.
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> New to this...

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Manequim Magazine 04-2012-216

photo
by: evyline

Review
Mini Miranda Bag

Mini Miranda Bag

Buy Now
Victory Satsuki Paper Pattern

Victory Satsuki Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.