SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > To hand wash by hand or to "hand" wash by machine... ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
To hand wash by hand or to "hand" wash by machine...
instructions say to hand wash or dry clean
Dana Cetz
Dana Cetz
Member since 12/14/12
Send Message

Date: 1/24/14 4:52 AM

So I picked up this knit suiting for about 7 dollars a yard, it says to dry clean or hand wash because it has a small amount of rayon blended in with the polyester.

I decided "forget this" and tested machine wash a 5 by 5 square of the fabric on the delicate setting with woolite and let it air dry. I compared it to the 5 by 5 square of unwashed fabric and noticed maybe 1/16 shrinkage nothing warped and was still able to have the same stretch.

Is it safe to wash the fabric in delicate on cold and air dry instead of hand awsh or dry clean?

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

In reply to Dana Cetz <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 1/24/14 8:02 AM

I think you just answered your own question. I machine or hand wash nearly everything.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

In reply to Dana Cetz <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 1/24/14 8:58 AM

A also pretty much machine wash everything, often on delicate cycle. However I hang to dry most everything of my better clothing. I use my shower rod in spare bathroom and sometimes place a drying rack in spare bathtub. I even wash cloth winter coats with good results. If I get a coat on clearance it really isn't worth taking to cleaners unless it is my favorite and I don't want tot ake chances with it. My hubby's suits are the only item that go to the cleaners.

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

Dana Cetz
Dana Cetz
Member since 12/14/12
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/24/14 11:02 AM

Thanks,
Did you mean machine wash on delicate your winter coats? I think the companies just try to scare us with the dry cleaning stuff . To many chemicals and too expensive.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Subject: To hand wash by hand or to hand wash by machine... Date: 1/24/14 1:42 PM

If the other componets of the garment will also be hand washable, they should go through the prewash as well.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Dana Cetz <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/24/14 2:15 PM

When my 5" squares pass the test wash in the machine, it is safe to wash the yardage.

------
iPad's auto-correct is my enema.

SewLibra
star
SewLibra  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 12/2/08
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Subject: To hand wash by hand or to hand wash by machine... Date: 1/25/14 0:18 AM

I agree with Doris W. If the test piece works, go for it at home. Like Julkane, my DH's suits are all that go to the dry cleaners. I read years ago that dry cleaners put everyone's stuff together in the same batch, and re-use the cleaning solution to boot. If that's true, it's gross! And dry cleaned clothes don't even smell good. I'll try almost anything to avoid them.

------
SewLibra
Brother SB4138, Bernina 1008, Brother 1034D, Janome Harmony 9102D

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Subject: To hand wash by hand or to hand wash by machine... Date: 1/25/14 3:39 AM

I wash rayon all the time. I feel as long as any fabric can conplete the cycle before construction, it will be fine afterwards on the same settings and temps.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Kwaaked
Kwaaked
Beginner
Member since 9/25/12
Send Message

Subject: To hand wash by hand or to hand wash by machine... Date: 1/25/14 7:14 AM

I wash and dry almost everything before I sew it, then if it's something like rayon or wool, I wash and hang dry as a garment. But that's mostly because it takes less time to iron rayon if it hasn't gone through the dryer and no shrinkage from wool.

My nearest dry cleaners is about an hour away. Nothing is going to go there, sad to say.

grey ann
star
grey ann  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 4/25/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Subject: To hand wash by hand or to hand wash by machine... Date: 1/25/14 7:46 AM

I mostly machine wash on delicate rather than hand wash. But if you have a front-load WM, beware. My machine, even on cold wash, adds a little hot water. Just a small amount, to clear out the soap dispense I believe. But if you have a very small load (the water levels adjust automatically) of something like a silk, that small shot of hot water might do damage.. Had I known this (or read the manual more carefully in the store) I'd have sprung for the more expensive model that had a 'silk cycle.' I'm thinking that this did NOT use any hot water.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> To hand wash by hand or to "hand" wash by machine...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

StyleArc Abby Cardi

photo
by: princessju...

Review
Vogue Patterns 1318

photo
by: Sue Parrot...

Review
Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Esme Top Pattern

Sew Liberated Esme Top Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.