SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Question about Janome bobbins and serger needles ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Question about Janome bobbins and serger needles
sideseams
 sideseams
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 6/19/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/25/14 8:09 PM

I recently acquired a Janome sewing machine and wondered if it is always necessary to use Janome bobbins.
Also is it necessary to use Janome needles on a Janome serger?

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to sideseams <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 1/25/14 8:31 PM

I come from the school of thinking that a sewing machine is best served when it is paired with genuine parts. I use Janome bobbins and nothing but. The way you can tell them form knock-offs is the Janome bobbins have the letter ''J'' imprinted on the inside spindle of the bobbin. I once purchased a small packet of bobbins I thought were Janome but turned out to be generic, every time the bobbin was low on thread it would rattle and my machine became loud with occasional thread nests. When I went back to Janome bobbins, the problem went away.... Now having said all this, I know folk will swear it doesn't matter... I guess it depends on your machine. But for me I feel I get better results.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
OR USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to sideseams <<

Date: 1/25/14 8:46 PM

edited out double post
-- Edited on 1/25/14 8:52 PM --

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
OR USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to sideseams <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/25/14 8:49 PM

I fully agree with Warbler about genuine Janome bobbins. I've had the same experience with generic bobbins and Janome bobbins. I have no doubt at all that Janome bobbins (with the J on the stem) perform flawlessly...and the generic bobbins rattle and jump in my Janome sewing machines...even when they are full of thread.

While there are Janome needle packs...all my Janome sewing machines did not include those when purchased...they had a pack of Organ needles. I have purchased Organ needles online and have always been pleased with them.

What model is your Janome sewing machine?

HanPanda
star
HanPanda
Intermediate
Member since 4/27/08
Send Message

Date: 1/25/14 8:57 PM

I have a Janome serger as well. The machine tells me exactly what kind of needles to use, but I can also buy a pack of the same ones that came with the machine from Janome. Personally, I'm sticking with the janome serger needles. The woman at the LQS that sells/services Janome had never heard of the serger needle type my machine needs, so that made me prett uncomfortable to buy a generic, yknow?

------
2014 resolution: keep track of sewn yardage!!
In: 90 yards
Sewn: 46.5 yards

I'll try anything once :)

Please excuse my typos...sometimes it is harder to go back and edit on mobile than it is worth!

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
VT USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to sideseams <<

Date: 1/25/14 9:12 PM

Which model serger do you have?

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

sideseams
 sideseams
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 6/19/04
Send Message

Date: 1/25/14 10:30 PM

Thanks ladies for all your help.
My machine is the Gem Gold. The serger is the 644D. They are far from new. I will definitely take your advice and use only Janome products. Thanks again everyone!

Fluteplayer7
Fluteplayer7  Friend of PR
Advanced
CO USA
Member since 4/12/13
Send Message

Date: 1/26/14 10:44 AM

I teach Janome machine classes at a dealer and use nothing but Janomes in my sewing room. These machines are designed for Organ needles. You can use Schmetz needles but you are not going to get as good a result. You're needle threader will not be lined up correctly and you will probably experience some wonky stitching on certain fabrics and using certain stitches (like zig zag.).
As for bobbins, I use only Janome bobbins. They are better quality and cheaper than generic bobbins. I hope this helps!

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
OR USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to HanPanda <<

Date: 1/26/14 11:05 AM

When Kenmore needles were still sold in US Sears stores...the pack was imprinted Kenmore and the needles themselves were imprinted Organ on their shanks. Wondering what is imprinted on the needle shanks of the Janome needle packs?

dmh1
dmh1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NC USA
Member since 1/13/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/26/14 12:27 PM

I use schmetz needles with my janome dc2013 and they work wonderfully (no issues with needle threader or stitch quality). However, I do use the Janome bobbins b/c of issues with the generic types rattling and because I didn't want to tempt fate over a slight price difference.

------
Michelle

SM: Janome DC2013 & Singer Futura Quintet
Serger: Janome Magnolia 7034D
Coverstitch: Singer 14T968DC

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Question about Janome bobbins and serger needles

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

McCall's 6116

photo
by: Naninak

Review
BRUSH FRINGE JACKET, a CD book by Kenneth King

BRUSH FRINGE JACKET, a CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Victory Anouk Paper Pattern

Victory Anouk Paper Pattern

Buy Now
McCall's 6470

photo
by: slmstyle

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.