SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > help! problem with bobbin thread knotting up ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
help! problem with bobbin thread knotting up
kare1983
kare1983
Advanced Beginner
Australia
Member since 12/18/13
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/26/14 5:30 AM

Okay.. I only cleaned my machine bobbin case and everything out yesterday for pint. I rubbed a small amount of oil in the bobbin case and around the hook (exactly how the manual said to) .. I even put a new needle on to sew with! I sewed a few things yesterday, just small projects.. and tonight I went to sew a little dress together for a baby and after hemming the bottom of the dress with a zig zag stitch the bobbin thread now knots up when I try to sew anything makingone huge horrible mess.. and the machine stops sewing. Any Iideas what's going on?? :(

kare1983
kare1983
Advanced Beginner
Australia
Member since 12/18/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/26/14 5:31 AM

Pint = lint sorry

jacqui583
jacqui583
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 11/25/13
Send Message

Date: 1/26/14 9:51 AM

Some machines are fussy about which direction the thread comes off the bobbin. I would start by making sure everything is threaded properly.

------
Jacqui

Phoebe (Pfaff Quilt Ambition 2.0)
Jenny (Janome Coverpro 1000cpx)
Sergio (Brother 1034D)
Betty (White 1505)

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to jacqui583 <<

Date: 1/26/14 10:38 AM

I agree here. Check which way the thread
Is coming off . When it knots up for me
That is what I check first. Then retread
The machine.

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

bestgrammy
star
bestgrammy
Oregon USA
Member since 8/29/06
Send Message

In reply to kare1983 <<

Date: 1/26/14 11:28 AM

What is the sm model?

If understanding correctly...the machine sewed well after the cleaning and oiling...small projects and a baby dress...but didn't begin to misbehave until after hemming the dress with a zig zag stitch.

I agree with checking how the bobbin is threaded...all machines are fussy about that. Wondering though if the machine has a drop-in bobbin case and if possibly the needle grazed the case sometime during the dress hemming? A nicked/scratched drop-in bobbin case will cause thread nesting as you described.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to kare1983 <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 1/26/14 12:15 PM

Quote: kare1983
Pint = lint sorry

I was thinking this, as it sometimes can, warranted drinking a pint!

On the serious side, I ran across this video and thought it may help resolve what you are experiencing.
-- Edited on 1/26/14 12:20 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 1/26/14 12:56 PM

Upside-down bobbin was my first guess, too, and you'd be surprised how easy it is to do that accidentally! I am so grateful that my current machine has a diagram printed on the bobbin case! :)

Another possibility is that your cleaning actually dislodged a little bit of lint, or a thread, etc, that you missed, and it's now clinging or tangling somewhere inside the bobbin case. I'd pop out the bobbin and disassemble the bobbin case again, and then wipe it down gently with a soft dry cloth. You really don't want to actually feel any of the oil in the machine (although don't wipe until it's bone dry!).

Then, just for good measure, try everything new: New thread, new needle, new bobbin. (Except for the needle, where I really do mean "new," I just mean different than whatever you're using now.)

Good luck! Usually some time off and a thorough rethreading resolve most of these issues. :)

------
~Gem in the prairie

kare1983
kare1983
Advanced Beginner
Australia
Member since 12/18/13
Send Message

Date: 1/26/14 1:56 PM

Thanks everyone! I will re thread everything again soon and see. My cotton up on the spool was starting to run low last night i remember seeing it and thinking i had to put a new one on soon... so ill double check the tension too I think...

bobbin case was in the right way and worked fine before i used the zig zag stitch for heming... if after I have re threaded everything and it's no better should I purchase a new bobbin case in case I have scratched it with the needle? Is that easy to fix? :/

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to kare1983 <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/26/14 2:02 PM

If you hit the bobbin case with the needle, most likely the needle would have broken.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

kare1983
kare1983
Advanced Beginner
Australia
Member since 12/18/13
Send Message

Date: 1/26/14 3:52 PM

Yay! Was as simple as using a different cotton on the spool!So relieved! Just put a different cotton on and it's purring again! Thanks to everyone's reply's though.. Although I've sewn a few things now I am still a beginner and get iffy in times like these! Helps knowing this message board is here!

I was actually a bit surprised at how sad I felt last night after my machine stopped working.. Goes to show how much I am loving sewing!!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> help! problem with bobbin thread knotting up

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

You Sew Girl Draped T-Dress Pattern

You Sew Girl Draped T-Dress Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Women's City Western Blouse Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Women's City Western Blouse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.