SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Mettler Silk Finish Cotton Quality? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Mettler Silk Finish Cotton Quality?
ediebell
ediebell
Member since 9/30/13
Send Message

Date: 1/27/14 2:29 PM

I'm posting here as I'm thinking quilters typically stick to cotton thread, but maybe I'll post in notions too.
I'm not a "real" quilter, I do clothing mostly with an occasional quilt so I defer to the best color match. Metrosene is my favorite but I like silk finish cotton, it just seems a little heavier and when the spools get near end I've had to toss some as it's so curly it kinks or breaks, so if Metrosene is available in same color I go there.

This week at Road to California quilt show we were using Mettler silk finish in some classes in the machines supplied. WOW. WOOOOOOW was that stuff linty and fuzzy. I mean more than Guterman. You could see thread dust all over the presser feet, one lady kept cleaning her bobbin case, and if you pulled thread down to needle to rethread or they pulled out the spool you could see fuzzies fly off the thread strand. I looked at the spool and saw it said Made In Spain. I hadn't checked in years, I presumed it was German. I don't recall ever seeing this.
Anyone else notice this? Is it since a manufacturing change? Think it was just that color (neutral grey). Maybe a bad batch? When I saw fuzzballs literally fly off the thread pulling it down to the needle threader after dusting off the presser foot over and over I decided I am sticking to Metrosene, Guterman, I (gasp!) even use Coats (but there are different qualities) sometimes for good matching.
What's up???!!

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to ediebell <<

Date: 1/27/14 3:36 PM

I brought some about 8 years or so ago and loved it. I'm thinking a bad batch or maybe old.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to ediebell <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/27/14 4:34 PM

This is funny...I just got a new sewing machine and in the box were 3 sample spools of thread...2 spools of Mettler Metrosene and 1 of Mettler Silk Finish in multi.
I put the multi Silk Finish in the machine and proceeded to stitch samples of all the different stitches that came on my machine. LOL The thread is so nice. I did not see any debris coming from that thread...and I definitely would have noticed because the machine was brand new and squeaky clean. So I'm thinking it might have been a bad batch, or old.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 1/27/14 4:35 PM

Oh, I see that's exactly what quiltingwolf said! LOL

ediebell
ediebell
Member since 9/30/13
Send Message

Date: 1/27/14 4:42 PM

What I bought 8 years ago or even a couple years ago was fine too. Where was your 8 year old spool or those that came with machine made? It could have been a bad lot but I have never noticed the Made in Spain (made me think of the very notable difference in Guterman a while back, late 90s I think, when they had a factory issue, fire or something? and were having thread made in Mexico. Significant difference). There is no way you couldn't have noticed the thread dust or fuzzies in this. And it was more than one machine, I'd go to a friend's and same thing. We have the same brand machines at home so I figured that probably wasn't it.

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

In reply to ediebell <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/27/14 4:43 PM

I use Mettler Silk Finish Cotton 50 wt. for all my piecing and I've never noticed it being "linty."

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to Sew Nanny <<

Date: 1/28/14 8:42 AM

Before your Aurifils and Maderia Cotona and a few others, Mettler silk finish was THE thread for quilters. It's always been high quality thread.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 1/28/14 11:32 AM

I love Mettler silk finish thread... I only have a few spools but I've never noticed the lintiness you describe... So makes me wonder if you have an odd spool or there's a tiny burr somewhere along the thread path. Have you changed the needle to rule that out as a suspect? Have you tested other spools? Clearly there is enough testimonial here to support the high quality of Mettler thread. Please report back!

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

Date: 1/28/14 11:38 AM

Bump

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

Brotherlover
star
Brotherlover
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 10/7/07
Send Message

Date: 1/28/14 9:56 PM

It seems to be as linty as any of the others I have used, gutterman, connecting threads, aurifil. Sometimes I think its the machines as well because some people complain of threads being really linty when I haven't been able to notice a significant difference when using it in my machines. The only thread I have seen crazy lint on that I used was YLI that I used this past weekend, I had never seen so much lint before. I like mettler a lot, really like the finish, don't have a good source for it here so would have to drive far or buy online. I still haven't used superior yet, just used aurifil for the first time and really prefer gutterman which was a shock to me since so many rave on aurifil, but I still want to try bottom line to see if I prefer it to gutterman, as of right now gutterman is my fave for piecing, but I like mettler for applique and topstitching as I like the finish of it. There was an article where someone showed the threads under a microscope, and gutterman, aurifil, and superior looked the smoothest of all the brands they showed.

------
Brother XL-3500i
SQ-9050
Dreamweaver VM6200D

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Mettler Silk Finish Cotton Quality?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Class Details

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

Self Drafted Pattern 248631-1005

photo
by: Pj3g

Review
Fit For Art Trouser Details for Eureka Pants

Fit For Art Trouser Details for Eureka Pants

More Info
Jamie Christina Hooded Scarf Pattern (JC307HS)

Jamie Christina Hooded Scarf Pattern (JC307HS)

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.